• ...and so much more!
  • Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I have experimented with some of the upper shelf stuff but, I always come back to some old stand bys from the past, Jack Daniels and Wild Turkey 101.

About 50 years ago, a friend had some scotch and offered me a drink. I don't remember anything about the brand or anything. I had never tried scotch before so, sure, I'd like some. I remember that it was some nasty stuff, tasted like burned motor oil. That ended my scotch drinking, then and there.

Fast forward 50 years, a couple of weeks ago I was gifted a 1.75 L bottle of Glenlivet 12. I had heard of Glenlivet and knew it was supposed to be a good brand but, it was still scotch. I put it away in the cabinet, not sure what I was going to do with it. Last night, curiosity got the best of me. I cracked the seal and poured out a bit in a glass, neat. I took a sip, expecting the motor oil taste but, was pleasantly surprised. It was very smooth and tasty. I can drink this. I went back for a second glass.
    Lynx Defense

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    I will definitely have to try the Rimfire. We have Balcones Distillery in Waco that makes a Texas Single Malt, won gold medals and is quite good. They are cracking open their cask reserve rye on March 10th at their spring party and I understand tickets are still available.

One evening I ordered a single malt and a friend asked what my favorite was, I said it would be 25 yo Glenmorangie. She said, I will send you a bottle - turns out she is a collector. That was two years ago and I still have half a bottle (no, you can't come over :) ).
    I tried a bottle of Balcones Lineage a while back. It was quite good.
    There was me 'n my buddy, we were in college and has just scored dates with a couple of gals who were friends. They were coming over to my apt for steaks and drinks and we HOPED for a LOT more!

Pooling out money we got steaks, potatoes, some salad fixings and we now find ourselves in the liquor store and we got a problem...money! Bourbon and Coke was the drink of the time and we were optimistically wanting to get a liter bottle of good WL Weller 90 the best selling bourbon in Texas at that time, but doing that and there no money for a case of cokes. And, we KNEW we needed that bourbon to get the weekend we wanted with those girls.

As we stand in the store and ponder the sales guy shows us another display which was the WL Weller bottle filled with WATER for "Weller 'n water" on the display. He says if you buy a quart you get a quart of water free! SOLD!

That was back in the 60's, to this day I have never mixed a whiskey with anything other that a ice or a touch of water.

For you Scotch drinker here is a handmade here in San Antonio worth your time. Instead of smoking with Peat, they smoke with Mesquite, its a single Malt, its unique and different and of great taste. Made by Ranger Creek Distillery. They make some of the best drinking whiskey I have every had, this is top shelf stuff. https://drinkrangercreek.com/whiskey/

View attachment 131805
    I was shooting a horse show in Santa Fe a couple years ago and a local distillery had their mesquite smoked single malt featured at the bar in the VIP area.
    IMG_2759.JPG
    It was pretty good but they don't ship it to Texas.
    I will give Rimfire a try though.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I have experimented with some of the upper shelf stuff but, I always come back to some old stand bys from the past, Jack Daniels and Wild Turkey 101.

About 50 years ago, a friend had some scotch and offered me a drink. I don't remember anything about the brand or anything. I had never tried scotch before so, sure, I'd like some. I remember that it was some nasty stuff, tasted like burned motor oil. That ended my scotch drinking, then and there.

Fast forward 50 years, a couple of weeks ago I was gifted a 1.75 L bottle of Glenlivet 12. I had heard of Glenlivet and knew it was supposed to be a good brand but, it was still scotch. I put it away in the cabinet, not sure what I was going to do with it. Last night, curiosity got the best of me. I cracked the seal and poured out a bit in a glass, neat. I took a sip, expecting the motor oil taste but, was pleasantly surprised. It was very smooth and tasty. I can drink this. I went back for a second glass.

50 years ago your "friend" did you dirty. Probably unloaded some Chivas Regal or other "good for mixing only" blended Scotch on you. The Glenlivet is a single malt scotch, and is my brand of choice. Other good options out there are Glenfiddich, Glen Ord, Glenmorrangie, Balvenie...really any Highland or Speyside single malt scotch will do you right. A lot of them have "glen" in their names because they're named for the river glen the distillery is located in.

Blended scotches are horrid - they take three or more single malts, mix them together with raw alcohol, and kill every bit of flavor and character they had...then bottle the resulting swill up and sell it. They're ok as a mixer, but as a standalone drink...they tend to taste like paint thinner.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    50 years ago your "friend" did you dirty. Probably unloaded some Chivas Regal or other "good for mixing only" blended Scotch on you. The Glenlivet is a single malt scotch, and is my brand of choice. Other good options out there are Glenfiddich, Glen Ord, Glenmorrangie, Balvenie...really any Highland or Speyside single malt scotch will do you right. A lot of them have "glen" in their names because they're named for the river glen the distillery is located in.

Blended scotches are horrid - they take three or more single malts, mix them together with raw alcohol, and kill every bit of flavor and character they had...then bottle the resulting swill up and sell it. They're ok as a mixer, but as a standalone drink...they tend to taste like paint thinner.
    Monkey Shoulder is the only Blended Scotch that has any hope, but it is hit or miss from one batch to the next. I still keep a bottle around for when people with litte appreciation for good things (BIL) come over.

My prefered single malt is Lagavulin 16. My wife hates it. Says the smokeyness reminds her of the Bastrop wildefire.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Monkey Shoulder is the only Blended Scotch that has any hope, but it is hit or miss from one batch to the next. I still keep a bottle around for when people with litte appreciation for good things (BIL) come over.

My prefered single malt is Lagavulin 16. My wife hates it. Says the smokeyness reminds her of the Bastrop wildefire.

Glenlivet 18, although the 15 year old French Oak Reserve is rather nice too. Everyone goes crazy for the 12 but...I think 18 is smoother and more pleasant.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2015
    Christmas 2020 my wife gave me a bottle of Highland Park 21.
    I think everyone that was over was dissapointed that I would not open it, but I just had to wait until after midnight for 1-1-2021 for that one, and yes, It was worth the wait.

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    I will agree with that. I was not at all impressed with the 12.

My biggest whisky disappointment was when I sampled The Macallan - a $200 bottle of whisky, $10 for a dram...and it tasted amazing. For ten seconds, and then the nasty-ass aftertaste hit. It was like sampling the nectar of the gods, then sucking on a piece of tire tread from the side of the road as a chaser.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Scotch; Balwhinnie DoubleWood is a good scotch for good company. Famous Grouse for not so good company; Monkey Shoulder is okay as well, but it’s pricier.

Real good company gets bourbon.

TheCanadianOne

Before anything.....Coffee first!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 12, 2023
    Houston
    As the song goes, "Just got paid today, got me a pocket full of change!" Not too bad I must say

Attachments

• 20230818_214958.jpg
      20230818_214958.jpg
      240.8 KB · Views: 31
    Top Bottom