• ...and so much more!
  • V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Turning 65 in a month......currently receive all my medical/prescriptions through VA.......DO I want/need Medicare? Specifically Part B?

What happens to my VA benefits if I do?

I am not disabled or have a known disability.......

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    Turning 65 in a month......currently receive all my medical/prescriptions through VA.......DO I want/need Medicare? Specifically Part B?

Hey V Tach,

Here in Pa, each County has an office for the State/Fed "Dept. of/for the Aging"....

I was there on Monday to find out, in my situation. They are familiar with ALL the plans that are available, and are very helpful.

If you do not have an office in your County? then there most certainly help at the VA.

DO NOT! DO NOT! sign up for any of the 67,000 advertisements you have rec'd in the mail! (they will mess you up)

Later, Mark

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    It's not 67,000

It's 70,000...............good grief.........how in the hell do they know?

I have a DR. appt in a couple of weeks, surely they have someone there for me to talk to...

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne

You need to sign up for Medicare or there is a penalty fee that gets added, unless you have a special situation such as private health insurance that allows you to keep it as primary at age 65. Not rare, but not common.

As for VA (assuming you’re eligible for VA healthcare - a whole separate topic), generally speaking if you see a VA doc for something VA covers it. If you need to see a non-VA doc, you either need VA pre-auth or you run it under Medicate.

From VAs webpage https://www.va.gov/health-care/about-va-health-benefits/va-health-care-and-other-insurance/

You’ll need to choose which benefits to use each time you receive care.

To use VA benefits, you’ll need to get care at a VA medical center or other VA location. We’ll also cover your care if we pre-authorize you (meaning we give you permission ahead of time) to get services in a non-VA hospital or other care setting. Keep in mind that you may need to pay a VA copayment for non-service-connected care.

If you go to a non-VA (or VA authorized) care facility, Medicare may pay for other services you may need during your stay. Or, if we only authorize some services in a non-VA location, then Medicare may pay for other services you may need during your stay. Check your Medicare plan, so you know which care locations and services you’re covered for.

If all your prescriptions are covered by VA, then bypass Part D. I won’t get into all the supplements, but generally speaking those supplements are mire pain than their worth if you ever travel outside your local area.

V-Tach

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Thank you for the info^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I qualified for VA care instead of Obamacare, so have been going to VA for a few years....they cover all my prescriptions,...and preauthorize a yearly visit to see a cardiologist....

They treat me well, and have no complaints.

Top Bottom