• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    What ever happened to the AKs with the steel underfolders?
    I see the taliban on TV with them but I never see them offered for sale anywhere.

You can get poly-stocks and side-folders.(even wood stocks)

Are they just 'undesirable' or too expensive to manufacture?

I have several old kits that I bought a decade ago and just getting around to building now.
    The rear trunion can be swapped out before the receiver is together/drilled so what is the deal?
    Should I skip the underfolder builds?(I already built one)

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    The few i have shot we’re wobbly pieces of crap not sure if it was the build or the kits they got built off of. The side folders have been much more solid. Plus shooting chin weld off that steel bar sucks after a mag. :laughing:

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    Not wobbly. I have seen paracord wraps. Might try that.

Romy_underfold_sling1.jpg

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    The steel underfolding stock was never conducive for a good cheek weld, but that doesn't matter much to the Afghans with their "spray and pray" tactics. It is why the sidefolding stock from the AK-74 became so popular.

But you can do a build from a non-underfolder receiver. You'll just need to do the underfolder cutouts, weld the old trunnion holes, and properly install a correct rear trunnion. The biggest challenge is welding up the front hole from the existing rear trunnion.

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I already have two side folders. (Hungarian AMD 65 and Romanian MD90)

I have a Romanian 'G' with fixed wood stock (same 'forward-dong' as the one you show) but the underfolder needs the 'reverse-dong'.

No need to weld up any receivers if you pick the correct one for the 'build'.

I have a dozen that need to be heat treated and a few already heat treated.
    Fronts are all the same, it is the rear trunions that need different holes.

I did another Hungarian fixed wood stock but I installed a Grizzly Defense Industries .22 adapter kit that I use with a 'muffler'. Easy to convert with just a barrel insert and the bolt swap. (5 minutes tops) Easy to swap back with original bolt assy.

I just wondered why no one offers the underfolders for sale? (they seem popular in the terrorist world)

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I looked on Gun Broker and the cheapest underfolder rifle was $1300 all the way up to $4000?(crazy)
    There were parts kits for 'stupid' money.

I guess I will build the other undefolder kit I have (Hungarian AK 63D) and leave it as the way it should be. If it slaps me I'll just use the fixed wood stock AKs.

Have not test fired the underfolder yet.

Having a few of each kind makes the collection?

Glad I got the kits a decade ago.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Oh have one of all of them. I just wouldn't call them shooters. The underfolders are for rear troops, tankers, arty, etc. They are not "fighting" rifles.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I've had a couple underfolders before. Both Romanian and a Yugo. I don't think they are very popular anymore due to some of the reasons stated above. As cool as they are they are not comfortable to shoot.

rpwilson

Single Action Army Activist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 25, 2012
    Richmond
    I might get some hate for this since I know people have comments about quality, but Palmetto has underfolders in their GF3 series pretty frequently in stock, and they have some in stock sometimes with Romanian parts kits. I have some PSA ars that have been good so far and know a few people with PSA aks with no issues

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I looked on Gun Broker and the cheapest underfolder rifle was $1300 all the way up to $4000?(crazy)
    There were parts kits for 'stupid' money.

I guess I will build the other undefolder kit I have (Hungarian AK 63D) and leave it as the way it should be. If it slaps me I'll just use the fixed wood stock AKs.

Have not test fired the underfolder yet.

Having a few of each kind makes the collection?

Glad I got the kits a decade ago.
    If that Hungarian kit has the original barrel, it's worth about as much as the complete rifle you mention on GB.
    I, myself, love underfolders; but I grew up on them and can shoot them without issue.

Eli

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I like underfolders for their practicality but recognize the compromises necessary for such versatility. Many Middle East fighters would simply smash the wooden stocks off their AKs to gain the same functionality of a more useable, shorter rifle.

Given the absence of actual tactics while shooting the Kalashnikov by locals, I didn't see the "removal" of the stock as being a great sacrifice for accuracy (which didn't really exist in the first place).

These shorter AKs weren't actually designed by the Soviets for front line troops but more for armor crews, rear forces, etc. Much like the M4 carbine, their use grew once their positive attributes were recognized.

Personally, I'd take one over a full stocked AK any day of the week...

Reactions: Eli

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    If that Hungarian kit has the original barrel, it's worth about as much as the complete rifle you mention on GB.
    I, myself, love underfolders; but I grew up on them and can shoot them without issue.

Eli
    Kit had CUT receiver AND CUT barrel. (torch cut as per ATF regs)

Some of the kits were 'demilled' and some just cut and packed into the box. (separate it yourself)

I just added the usual 922r parts and drilled/riveted them back together.

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    The few i have shot we’re wobbly pieces of crap not sure if it was the build or the kits they got built off of. The side folders have been much more solid. Plus shooting chin weld off that steel bar sucks after a mag. :laughing:
    I put a Dragonov cheekpiece on mine with a simple leather spacer , works great

motorcarman

Compulsive Collector
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 13, 2015
    Rural Wise County, TX.
    I loaded up a few rounds into a magazine and stepped outside of the shop to check out the load,feed,fire and eject of the Hungarian underfolder I just finished.

The goats were in the pasture near the steel plate I have setup so I just put 3 into the ground.

Worked normally so I called it GOOD!!!

Reactions: Eli
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom