Air Rifle for squirrels

Stoopstn

Jan 4, 2021
Spring, Texas
I have used both .22 and .177 for squirrel and .22 knock down power is much superior. Like many have mentioned a subsonic .22 (I like remy cbee’s) is quieter and works best but all depends where you live.

Weskix

Jan 10, 2021
La Vernia
I'm sure you have already dealt with your squirrel problem and not sure how much you were looking to spend. But a Benjamin Marauder .25 is easily 1MOA at 75 yards.

Weskix

Jan 10, 2021
La Vernia
I have a Silent Cat as well, it's cool but definitely not "silent!" :cool::cool::cool:

View attachment 222293

Also be careful shooting one in urban areas. Some municipalities have restrictions on them, such as San Antonio!

In Texas, an air gun is considered a non-powder gun. Under federal law, air guns are not considered firearms due to the fact that their projectiles are expelled by the force of air, a non-explosive force, rather than by the energy created by the explosive force of gunpowder.

Only recently did Texas Parks and Wildlife Division (TPWD) permit the use of air guns to hunt squirrels, subject to certain restrictions. The air rifle must be designed to be shot from the shoulder, expelling a projectile, bullet, or pellet of at least .177 caliber (4.5 mm) with a minimum velocity of 600 feet per second.

It is illegal to hunt game birds or game animals with an air gun in the Lone Star State. If, however, the animal is a non-game animal (non-protected), such as a bobcat, coyote, rabbit, or armadillo to name but a few, it can be hunted with an air gun. Hunting exotics and other nongame animals, such as feral hogs, is also permissible using air guns (Source).

I have a question about this, would you send me a direct/private message when you have a moment?

BABBALOU1956

Jan 8, 2021
Lewisville
1968 got my first pellet rifle & don't remember the name but I remember it was rated at 400 fps & .177 cal. Got my first squirrel with it. Took about 20 shots before it fell out of the tree. Took another 9-10 shots to kill it. Didn't use it for squirrels again after that. For squirrels I'd want at least 1,000 fps, preferably more & in .22 cal.

Top Bottom