Join TexasGunTalk

Air guns are forgotten fun. Post yours.

Discussion in 'Air Guns' started by HKShooter65, Feb 26, 2019.

1. DyeF9

DyeF9 In Thrust We Trust TGT Supporter

Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I have a Weihrauch HW97 and a Weihrauch HW35. Both fantastic shooting pellet guns. I have my 97 rigged out for field target shooting.
    The HW97 is in the picture

Attached Files:

2. Geezer

Geezer Available For Parties TGT Supporter

Jul 23, 2019
    South Carolina (For Now)
    Here a while back I picked up a Gamo Silent Cat .177 air rifle. It came with a Gamo 4X scope. This thing is amazing. Maybe a little quieter than a regular air rifle, it is not silent. It's very accurate and has a pretty good trigger.

I had it at the family Thanksgiving gathering and after the big meal I brought out the Gamo. Young and old got a kick out of shooting it. There were a few there that had never fired any kind of gun before. They were shooting cans and grinning all over themselves.

That evening, my brother was on You Tube and discovered air rifle dieseling. This is where you put oil or grease in the hollow base of the pellet. It was supposed to give it more power and velocity. Of course we had to try it. The first shot was obviously louder and even seemed like some recoil was involved. We were shooting at an empty disposable propane cylinder, like is used on a camp stove, at 20 yards. Without dieseling it would dent the steel cylinder. Add some oil and it would penetrate the cylinder!

It's a lot of cheap fun. It looks like this.

Gamo-Whisper-Silent-Cat-Air-Rifle-e1429205146747.png

3. jordanmills

jordanmills TGT Addict

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    I have one of those! I am not impressed with the accuracy. Even with heavy pellets, not the light supersonic ones. Where do you put the oil, and what kind of oil?

Also, I broke out my lever action marlin in 22 LR. It eats 22 shorts just fine too. With subsonic 22 shorts, it's quieter than that silent cat.

I really want to get one of those PCP rifles, preferably in something like 25 to 32 caliber. wheee.

4. Geezer

Jul 23, 2019
    South Carolina (For Now)
    I sighted the scope on this one at around 18-20 yards and it would eat the center out of the target.

As for the dieseling, after you break it down and load the pellet in the barrel, just put a drop of oil in the hollow base of the pellet. We were using a small bottle of RemOil. It is obvious that something is going on when you ad the oil. The sound and feel is different.

I never put it back on a target while using the RemOil but we had no trouble hitting cans and those cylinders.

jordanmills likes this.
  5. Geezer

Jul 23, 2019
    South Carolina (For Now)
    I feel like I must say that the experts say that dieseling is not recommended. It causes premature wearing of the seals.

jordanmills and DyeF9 like this.
  6. jordanmills

jordanmills TGT Addict

Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Yeah I just want to do it to have done it.

Geezer likes this.
  7. Geezer

Jul 23, 2019
    South Carolina (For Now)
    It's kinda like eating salted peanuts, it's hard to stop at one.

Dad_Roman and jordanmills like this.
  8. dsgrey

dsgrey Active Member

Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    Mine is from around 1970 and still works great. Unfortunately, it was confiscated by a family member around 30 years ago then passed around to their married relatives, back to a family member and I only got it back when that person passed away recently. Definitely scuffed up. I also re-obtained my Daisy model 103 from the 60's and some low-end rifles from my youth.
    Pellet_Gun.jpeg

V-Tach and Bozz10mm like this.
  9. Domingo

Domingo New Member

Dec 12, 2019
    McAllen TX
    I have a few Air Force air rifles that are long overdue for a cleaning and photo shoot.

jordanmills likes this.
  10. V-Tach

V-Tach TGT Addict Forum Sponsor

Sep 30, 2012
    Rockport
    Daisy Model 99

daisy_model_99_0e16535a3b47e3413c077331aac00a07485380c8.jpg

Bozz10mm, Southpaw and Dad_Roman like this.