Join TexasGunTalk

Air Force Faker at Lowe's, HWY 151 and Loop 410

Discussion in 'San Antonio' started by Odiferous, Oct 16, 2014.

1. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Wasn't this guy, was it?

1323180808.jpg

Or this one?

SGM-Slick.jpg

Or this one?

ZRr4V.jpg
    (I think this last guy was just screwing around)

Some guys don't even try to get it right, they just buy every badge they can get their hands on from eBay and toss them anywhere!

IMG_5688.jpg

There is no shortage of dumbasses who will try this idiotic stunt.

Of course, you have to be careful confronting them as sometimes the rules change! For example...

militarypic.jpg

Captain Kamal Kalsi is one of three individuals who are allowed to keep his beard and turban while in US Army!

Cheers! M2

2. London

London The advocate's Devil. TGT Supporter

Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    No, no authority but that of a righteously indignant man. Well, that and, at least for me, when another military member demanded to see your ID it was almost an unwritten law that you had to show it to them. It means they were trying to figure out who you were so they could have a chat with your supervisor later. Not showing it to them only makes things a lot worse.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  3. London

Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Holy shit. I finally appreciate the absurdly obsessive compulsive military standards for uniforms. Makes spotting fakes soooooo easy!

"A POS." Yeah, that's about right.

4. London

Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    I don't know about the current standards, but when I was in ties were optional for short sleeves; mandatory for long sleeves.

5. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    While either short or long sleeves can be work with the USAF Service Dress (pictured), a tie is mandatory no matter what shirt is worn.

It is also mandatory for long-sleeve shirts, and short sleeved ones in certain areas (the aforementioned AFDW during the summer).

As for confronting someone, I am unlikely to do so unless I know they are actually a military member and their actions are illegal under the UCMJ. Even then, I wouldn't have much legal authority outside of intervening and reporting it to the person's chain-of command. As far as I know, I still hold my Regular commission as I have never resigned it.

6. Ole Cowboy

Ole Cowboy TGT Addict

May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    100% yes, you have to resign it unless you are stripped of it due to UCMJ action. Then technically you are not retired in essence you remain on the rolls for the rest of your life as I understand, you do not count against end strength and you are paid a reduced amount for reduced duty. At one time you could apply to be promoted, it was called a "tombstone promotion". I forgot what the basic requirements are, seems like ???? it was something like your age + number of years AD if it added to over 80 or something like that???? You gained nothing other than the rank, no increase in pay. I remember my dad applied but he died before it was actioned by HQDAF...

7. Tx_Mark

Tx_Mark Well-Known

May 26, 2014
    That store is 5 minutes from my house, guess I'll keep an eye out.

"Prepare yourself for the future,with what you've seen in the present"

8. majormadmax

majormadmax Úlfhéðnar

Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Agreed, but policy established under DOD Directive 1352.1 - Management and Mobilization of Regular and Reserve Retired Military Members, make recall to active duty unlikely for those who have been retired for more than five years, or those over age 60.

As for "tombstone promotions," at one point they were somewhat common in the Navy, which routinely advanced officers one grade on retirement; but not so in the USAF or (I believe) the Army. Basically, they were primarily honorary and allowed the retirees to use the titles of the new grade; but they had no effect on pay or benefits. They were known as "tombstone promotions" because the higher grades would be more impressive on the members' grave markers! :D

The closest the Air Force comes to such a practice is its advancement of officers who are selected for promotion but die before they can pin on (i.e. posthumously). It as also limited up to the rank of colonel (full bird).

9. Burnt Jeep

Burnt Jeep Active Member

Feb 10, 2014
    Woodway,TX
    Those fakes deserve the whooping coming to them.

10. TXDARKHORSE361

TXDARKHORSE361 Moderator Moderator

May 15, 2012
    I'm am very happy I haven't run across one of these guys in person. Closest I came I almost lifed out a "Marine" for wearing his cammies in public but was trying to go about it tactfully, finally saw his MCJROTC patch and immediately calmed down. Not something you can turn off easily.