• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I bought my first well used 1911 in 1968 for the sum of $95. It was someone's bullseye gun and had some very effective but obsolete modifications to it. I still have that pistol and it will stay with me as long as I live.

I reloaded .45acp on a Lee loader (tap, tap, tap), hunted with the pistol, shot bullseye, hunted rats at the local garbage dump and shot that pistol until my fingers wore the finish off of the front strap down to bare metal. You can look at that front strap and see the impressions of my fingers in the metal worn completely down to shiny metal.

When the money started coming in after college, more advanced reloaders kept that pistol fed a steady diet of .45acp.

Later, I shot bullseye, some competition, earned my LTC and carried that pistol concealed. Sure, I owned lots of 1911's and even had a competition Colt built for the "Combat Shooting" (From a draw). That pistol shot great and I sold it for $1000 in (about) 1975 but frankly, the 1968 1911 would have done just as well. $1000 in those days was a friggin' fortune!

There is something mystical about how that old 1911 and I work together. It's a bond that I can't really describe except that if I want something shot, and can see the target, it gets hit.

I do not miss with that pistol! It speaks to me and I communicate to it. That pistol is part of me and we don't miss.

I saw Rob trying to TEACH that connection in the video but that isn't something that you can teach. Shooting that way comes from long, varied, association and practice. Muscles learn to handle the pistol and the firearm is prepared to implement instructions from the shooter. It's perfect symmetry!

There's no doubt that Rob knows that connection well. Unfortunately, you can't teach someone else to do that. It comes with time and practice.

Flash
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    When I was a young man in my 20's I did an awful lot of shooting with all kinds of firearms. My love for wing shooting with shotguns led me to spend many hours learning to shoot birds with pistols and, to a lesser extent, with rifles. I practiced for hours hitting things in the air, starting with pie plates and then moving down to smaller items and ending up with targets the size of 50 cent pieces (luckily, my dad had a store that sold items to a lot of Mexican laborers and we had buckets of the Mexican dollar and 50 centavo coins.

All I can tell you is that I never used sights and shot from instinct, letting my eyes track the target and teaching my hands and arms to "point" where I was looking. I taught others to shoot shotguns this way starting them with bb guns and pie plates and it seemed to work well for them but I never taught anyone to shoot in the air with pistols or rifles because I preached safety to newcomers while I was myself doing something that was inherently unsafe although I was careful about when and where I did it.

Since we are talking almost 50 years ago I can confess that I shot more than my share of game birds on the wing with a .38 special revolver and many a barn pigeon with a .22 rifle. The point being that aiming in the classical sense when wing shooting with a pistol or rifle is not practical when you are snap shooting at targets that are in sight for only a brief time.

My favorite sport was driving down the dirt roads between rice fields sitting in the back of a pickup and shooting rats with my .41 magnum and the ran across the road. No sights, no follow through, just look-point-shoot.

On the other hand, I also did a lot of long range pistol shooting and there is no substitute for a good sight picture and consistent trigger release when you are shooting water bottles at 100 yards.

Today, I am lucky if I can get 3-4 shots in the black at 25 yards, but at least I have my memories.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    Seems like I recall a drill instructor trying to teach me how to point shoot with a bb gun back when I wore olive drab pants. But he evidently wasn't a good instructor.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    The basic mechanics of point shooting only takes about an hour to learn.
    The actual doing of it takes work.most instructors skip the mechanics of it and go strait to "how to align the sights".
    Sights are not used in point shooting.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    The basic mechanics of point shooting only takes about an hour to learn.
    The actual doing of it takes work.most instructors skip the mechanics of it and go strait to "how to align the sights".
    Sights are not used in point shooting.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    An hour? If you know how to point a finger, you just imagine the barrel of the gun as your finger. The idea of point and shoot is to hit center mass and if you are having trouble pointing at someones chest, you may have more problems. Now with practice you can come very close to hitting a bullseye, but under a stressful condition you don't worry about hitting a bullseye, close could be good enough, especially with more then one round.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Well, with a gun in your hand, it is slightly different. But yeah, if the gun is lined up right, you pretty much just point your finger. There are other parts to the mechanics of it, but they are simple and easy to learn. Your body already knows how and does it many times a day without you realizing it. Doing it well takes practice and time. Not ammo. The hardest part to teach most people is that their body already knows how to do it, it is just their brain that doesn't. That and getting them out of that freaking tactical squat position.
    The most important thing I teach, is how to grip the gun so that your body can do what it already knows how to do. Your body knows what to do if your brain will let it. That is the hardest part. Getting the brain to realize that neither the brain or body have to learn anything new besides putting a gun in the hand.
    It does not work for everyone. And to greater or lesser degrees for some. But it does work.

I have tought 11 year old girls, that have never held a gun, to shoot under 5 inch groups at 5 yards their first magazine.
    Had women shooting nearly 1 hole groups in under 3 hours total. Moonpie helped me with a couple of them. And let me tell you, them two ladies were impressive. We had a ball.
    from an idjit coffeeholic

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Nothing new...

tenor.gif

Of course, some people are better at it than others! ;)

c86f52cffd0e3deb2462d9d7cc7c37d5.gif

Top Bottom