• ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Shooting through a door is a big no-no.
    Shooting a person who says "police" with no identification is a jury-flipper.
    But I guess the grand jury in that county is full of cop-haters so good for the home-owner, he's free to go. This could have been ugly, like Sgt. Perry's manufactured murder case in commie Austin.
    Curious. If someone not in uniform, not showing a badge and in an unmarked personal vehicle showed up at your house and announced "Police" you would open the door and welcome them into your home?

And we could factor in a possible 4th Amendment violations as well.

You do realize they were viewing the guy on their video camera?

Shooting through the door? Not optimum, but acceptable and legal as past cases have proven.

And the grand-jury full of cop haters? I would assume that the grand jury probably heard evidence that wasn't made public. A grand-jury only rules on whether there is enough evidence being supported for a trial. They don't determine guilt or innocence.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    The trooper handled the situation WRONG.
    You have a gift for understatement.

I've been attacked by road-ragers before. In one case, replying with deadly force would have been completely justified since the guy was trying to kill me. Luckily, I was able to drive away and lose him. However, if that guy had followed me and shown up at my front door, knocking and yelling "Police!" then yes, absolutely, I would have shot him without hesitation.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Alot happened prior to him "showing up at their door".
    They had interactions with him on the road, and he had followed them home.
    Exactly. Someone displaying road rage, or what might appears to be road rage follows me home, I'm going to assume the worst and assume that person is a threat, and act accordingly.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Alot happened prior to him "showing up at their door".
    They had interactions with him on the road, and he had followed them home.
    Yeah, follow me or Mrs. Hoji to Casa de Hoji after you show your ass road raging and it will be both a poor decision on their part and the worst loss of a game of flex nuts than they could have ever imagined.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Yeah, follow me or Mrs. Hoji to Casa de Hoji after you show your ass road raging and it will be both a poor decision on their part and the worst loss of a game of flex nuts than they could have ever imagined.
    If nothing else, we know your account hasn't been hacked today!

Seriously, yes. Totally agree with you.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I will tell y'all what. I think what bothered me most about this story beyond the trooper's behavior was the cops who took the homeowner into custody under the guise of "You shot a state trooper." I find this bias to be problematic. From what was described, they assumed his had done wrong because the person shot was in law enforcement. The homeowner shot a threat.

How often are homeowners taken into custody and told, "You shot a musician." Some of y'all may be to young to remember when Carter Albrecht was beating on the door of a home in Dallas, demanding entry and his girlfriend. The homeowners told him to go away, were on the phone with 911, when the male homeowner shot Albrecht through the door and killed him. He was a musician for the New Bohemians. Nope, the cops arrived and did not even detain the homeowner. Albrecht was on Chantix and drinking (bad combination) and was apparently out of his mind and had the wrong house, scaring the hell out of the homeowner and his wife. My point is, do cops put people into cuffs and note that the occupation of the person shot to the homeowner shooter? Nope.

Proclaiming, "You shot a state trooper" sounds to me more like a contempt of cop response and maybe an intent to scare the homeowner (which it did) than actually being some sort of informative statement.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I will tell y'all what. I think what bothered me most about this story beyond the trooper's behavior was the cops who took the homeowner into custody under the guise of "You shot a state trooper." I find this bias to be problematic. From what was described, they assumed his had done wrong because the person shot was in law enforcement. The homeowner shot a threat.

I am gonna guess, after trooper was shot he called his agency and might have had a different version of events. I am shocked SWAT and helicopters were not sent.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019

How often are homeowners taken into custody and told, "You shot a musician." Some of y'all may be to young to remember when Carter Albrecht was beating on the door of a home in Dallas, demanding entry and his girlfriend. The homeowners told him to go away, were on the phone with 911, when the male homeowner shot Albrecht through the door and killed him. He was a musician for the New Bohemians. Nope, the cops arrived and did not even detain the homeowner. Albrecht was on Chantix and drinking (bad combination) and was apparently out of his mind and had the wrong house, scaring the hell out of the homeowner and his wife. My point is, do cops put people into cuffs and note that the occupation of the person shot to the homeowner shooter? Nope.

Proclaiming, "You shot a state trooper" sounds to me more like a contempt of cop response and maybe an intent to scare the homeowner (which it did) than actually being some sort of informative statement.
    I don't totally disagree with your assessment, but those officers may have talked to the trooper that was shot before they talked to the homeowner, therefor his comments or statements might have biased the officers and the way they handled the situation.

That is purely speculation on my part though.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    …Proclaiming, "You shot a state trooper" sounds to me more like a contempt of cop response and maybe an intent to scare the homeowner (which it did) than actually being some sort of informative statement.
    One really, really good reason to keep your mouth shut and your lawyer on speed dial. IIRC, the this case the homeowner was detained but not arrested. That tells me pretty early on that something was fishy (or I did not remember correctly).

BBL

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 8, 2021
    TX
    Curious. If someone not in uniform, not showing a badge and in an unmarked personal vehicle showed up at your house and announced "Police" you would open the door and welcome them into your home?
    No. Why?

You do realize they were viewing the guy on their video camera?
    Yes.
    And he was not holding a gun aimed at the door or in any other direction. He was no imminent threat.

Shooting through the door? Not optimum, but acceptable and legal as past cases have proven.
    Just because it is acceptable to some does not make it right. Had the homeowner missed (because he could not see his target), the potential for hitting an innocent bystander is there in a populated neighborhood.

I surely do not condone the trooper's actions. All I am saying is that I would not have shot blindly through a locked door. Hate me if you will. It is your M.O., your choice. I just don't have to agree with you, sorry.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    No. Why?

Yes.
    And he was not holding a gun aimed at the door or in any other direction. He was no imminent threat.

Just because it is acceptable to some does not make it right. Had the homeowner missed (because he could not see his target), the potential for hitting an innocent bystander is there in a populated neighborhood.

I surely do not condone the trooper's actions. All I am saying is that I would not have shot blindly through a locked door. Hate me if you will. It is your M.O., your choice. I just don't have to agree with you, sorry.
    It's always easy to sit back and play Monday-morning quarterback, and criticize the actions of others, especially when you were not there and participating.

What you would or wouldn't do is actually irrelevant since he happened to him, not you. When, or if it were to happen to you, then it would be relevant. Sometimes people just do the best they can given the circumstances.

Just curious, are those grand-jury members still a bunch of cop haters in your opinion? You seemed to bypass that part this time.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    I am gonna guess, after trooper was shot he called his agency and might have had a different version of events. I am shocked SWAT and helicopters were not sent.

Something like that has happened before...

It has been a lot of years now since a SWAT team responded to a distraught homeowner who was destroying his own property in his own yard. I don't recall the details, but Richard Robison's wife had left him or something along those lines and he was just destroying stuff and somebody called the cops and he hadn't done anything wrong, but things escalated and SWAT was called. He went inside and would not come out. He was known to own a gun. OMG he owned a gun!!!!! SWAT teams stacked up on his front and back doors. Before they could make entry, a shot was fired and two SWAT members stacked on the front door were hit, one killed. Then all hell broke loose as the cops riddled the house with bullets. So many hundreds of rounds were fired that SWAT called back to the station for more ammo to be brought to the scene. Eventually, the homeowner surrendered after having been shot in the leg. The cops treated the "cop killer" like garbage. The only problem was, the cop killer was their own sniper. The guy inside the house, who apparently had only failed to cooperate with the police and did not want to deal with them, had not fired a shot.

What is disturbing is that Richard Robinson was charged with cap. murder despite there no evidence that he had fired the shot, or for that matter, fired a gun. It took them 9 days to sort that out.

The POS SWAT sniper didn't get charged. He was fired and then had the audacity to try to get his job back claiming he didn't have proper training for his job and had been left alone for too long without a spotter. You know how it is, a highly trained SWAT officer can't be held responsible if they are left alone for too long, right?

Richard Robinson never was never convicted of anything associated with the event and eventually won over $700,000 from the City of Lubbock.

I think what bothers me most is that the sniper knew he had fired his weapon first and NEVER reported it. It has to be determined later by others.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Robert Harrell
    Top Bottom