Target Sports

Aerodynamic Drag Measurement and Modeling for Small Arms - Improving on Ballistic Coefficients

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DACMagic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 22, 2023
    Austin
    I've always wondered why they measure ballistic coefficient instead of somehow mapping the bullet cross-sectional profile along the axis of travel. I assume you could have a "optimum" bullet profile for a given bullet mass (lead, with a standard jacket thickness) with the least amount of drag and boundary layer separation? Like a optimized bullet shape?

Using the optimum profile on one end of the spectrum, and a plain cylinder on the other end, you could map how "good" your bullet performs based on the "best" and the "worst" in terms of air drag. It seems like this could eliminate a lot of the atmospheric variables, but I guess you'd have manufacturers playing games with the bullet density to skew the numbers...

Anyway....good info on the ballistic coefficients and their measurement ranges!

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    Yup, seen those in a thread on Ukraine munitions.
    Just don't know how to apply that technology to my Toyota...

m864_2_usafas.jpg

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    As long as I can see or hear the smack when it hits my target nothing else matters to me. I've learned it's path already and it's always an arch. I'm good with it. :)

Top Bottom