• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rr2241tx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    San Marcos
    To your point: Kaiser Wilhelm II fought the rest of the world to a draw but was undermined by the conspirators of the Weimar Republic. The outcome of WWII would have been dramatically different had the United States decided to prop up Russia, the United Kingdom, and France in addition to wrecking our manufacturing sector building war machines primarily for their use knowing that once the military production contracts were cancelled most of our industrial base would be forced into bankruptcy. Small arms don’t win wars, destruction of infrastructure and political will causes countries to lose. Look to history. Loss of industrial production and political support have selected the losers.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    To your point: Kaiser Wilhelm II fought the rest of the world to a draw but was undermined by the conspirators of the Weimar Republic. The outcome of WWII would have been dramatically different had the United States decided to prop up Russia, the United Kingdom, and France in addition to wrecking our manufacturing sector building war machines primarily for their use knowing that once the military production contracts were cancelled most of our industrial base would be forced into bankruptcy. Small arms don’t win wars, destruction of infrastructure and political will causes countries to lose. Look to history. Loss of industrial production and political support have selected the losers.
    <>

I don’t disagree, but what does that have to do with my comment?

?

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    <>

Yes, but it wasn’t b/c they used Mausers !

<>

It's interesting to note, but the Germans not only invented the SMG and GPMG concepts, and in WW2, developed the first real practical "assault rifle", but, even based the entire squad around the MG34/42.

It's not a case of the Germans being fine with the 98, but a case of it really didn't matter if some guys had 98's when the platoon has 3 MG42's and 3 MP40's, or a late war sturmzug where like 90% of a platoon has STG's.

Besides, the real best Mauser is the M1917.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    Back to lever guns. I picked up a Henry in .41 mag a while back. I have several other lever guns, this is my first Henry.
    I'm sitting on the back porch and decide to fire a few rounds. Its about 11:00AM The sun has cleared the trees and is shining one me, over my right shoulder. Drop a couple rounds down the tube, raise the gun and HOLYSHIT, I'm blinded by the reflection off the back of the receiver. Never had one of my Winchesters or Marlins do that. The brass on the receiver is mirror bright, and swoop from the tang to the receiver is sort of a parabola. I was seeing spots for half an hour. I won't be doing that again.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    It's interesting to note, but the Germans not only invented the SMG and GPMG concepts, and in WW2, developed the first real practical "assault rifle", but, even based the entire squad around the MG34/42.

It's not a case of the Germans being fine with the 98, but a case of it really didn't matter if some guys had 98's when the platoon has 3 MG42's and 3 MP40's, or a late war sturmzug where like 90% of a platoon has STG's.

enamine if it were 90% "std's" instead :roflsmile: :roflsmile: :roflsmile: :roflsmile:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

<>

OK

<>

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm

I was gonna say Germans loved semi auto and full auto. Their squads were built around machine guns and to support their machine guns. The Mauser and rifleman concept wasn't their priority. It didn't fight in their whole Lightening war concept.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    <>

The value of both “full auto” & “select fire” weapons to civilians, hunters, & revolutionaries has been greatly exaggerated.

Consider the Mauser 98 in both World Wars.

Properly aimed fire is what is needed.

leVieux
    There is alot to unpack there. It depends on the purpose but generally to civil and hunters yes full auto would have no tactical significance over semi auto in those general class of end users.

The value of full auto and well aimed fire would both be of significant tactical value to revolutionaries in a war time situation.

The Germans actual use of the Mauser in the second world War would would clearly indicate the significance they put upon volume of fire as their whole squad was built around machine guns. The Mauser in those situations was an after thought cause everyone supported the machine guns, specializing for snipers not with standing.

A better argument would have been the Brittish mad minute if lore. They could pour a lot of well aimed 303 out of their Enfield rifles.

paknheat

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Texas, Somewhere near Palestine
    Yeah....but the AR-15 fires the high-powered 5.56 NATO assault rifle round....a round known for cutting people in half and blowing the lungs out of children....

.....How could a .45-70 stand up against that firepower?

Um.. isn’t it the 5.56 round that cuts people in half, but the 9mm that blows their lungs out?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

safestuffer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2023
    Washington state
    Funny, I just went on a lever action bender myself. Had to be a .45-70. For design, the top of the heap for me is the 1886. I couldn't find an original for anywhere within shouting distance of my budget so I went with a pair of Mirokus, a Winchester High Grade Extra Light and a Browning carbine. The Winchester to hang up on the wall and the Browning to carry through the brush.

Gordo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2023
    San Antonio
    I had both a Winchester (Canadian Centennial), and a Browning lever action, and I did just the opposite.
    Carried that long, octagon barreled Winchester through the woods, and kept the Browning on the rack.
    Both were in great shape.
    Liked how steady the Winchester was.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom