• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stuhoevel

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2020
    San Antonio
    I'm in the market for a lever action rifle. I'm looking for some advice and information on manufacturers/models/caliber.

I'm wanting a rifle with a .4x caliber, wood furniture, and preferably a threaded barrel. Use of the rifle would be shooting hogs, and turning money into noise.

Caliber: easy to find and relatively inexpensive.
    .45-70 pros and cons? At $2 a round I'm leaning against this caliber.
    .44 mag pros and cons? If I go with this caliber, I might just have to add .44mag revolver.
    Other calibers?

Manufacturers: Ruger, Marlin, Henry, Winchester? Here's where I get lost. Any others to add?

Any information and advice is welcome.

Thanks.
    Target Sports

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Proficiency with a lever action isn't difficult, but it isn't something that comes naturally.
    It looks easy in the movies and TV shows. It takes a bit of practice. Shooting prone presents another level of difficulty.

Get a .22lr and work on muscle memory, then get a .44 and get used to the longer stroke and noise and recoil.

Then go hunting.

Eastexasrick

Isn't it pretty to think so.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2022
    Naples TX.
    What Axxe and Vaquero said, and this. Get a 44 mag Marlin, add a wheel gun, Ruger 44 mag Red Hawk. Strong actions. Great customer service, not that you will ever need them. Lots of choices in ammo, hunting to plinking.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Threaded barrel? Makes it tougher. I have a JM Marlin in 44 mag and a S&W 629. Couple on texasguntrader now for about $1,000. Remember to buy some good screwdrivers (like Grace) so you don't mess up the screws and they have specific drivers for Marlin. If you go 45-70 you would be smart to reload. Reload is always smart anyhow.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    How often will you be shooting it? I found that 44 mag ammo, wasn't a whole lot cheaper than 45-70, but the performance definitely is. The 44 mag lever action was the first I sold off. 357 for me was much more versatile and cheaper to shoot. Will kill anything in Texas without issue and can approach near rifle performance at limited range.

As far as the rifles. Pick which action your prefer 92 top eject means you'll be stuck with irons. A Marlin or Henry are side ejection and tapped for ease of mounting optics.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I’m a fan of the rimfire lever action, too. After mastery, my taste runs to Cowboy Action Shooting and that’s all bunny farts in .3x.

The only lever action I’ve hunted with was in .30-30, which is likely the most punch necessary for game in Texas, but if you’re going big bore, just get the classic .45-70 and be done with it, because 1) it ain’t that much more than other offerings on a cpr basis, and 2) you’re not going to be putting the volume thru it you think you will.

msharley

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 28, 2021
    Central Pennsylvania
    45/70. Marlin 1895.

405LFP. 13.0 to 13.7gr Unique or Universal.

1100fps. (back off just a touch to 1050fps and you will be sub sonic, and your suppressor will work nicely)

Even purchasing cast bullets? About THIRTY-FIVE cents a round (vs $4/rd for Factory, which is $80/box, here)

Very low recoil. Very Accurate.

Punches a 1" hole through game at reasonable distances.

For ursine critters, either of the 4198's work well. From 28.0 gr (1200fps) to 40+ grains (1700fps) assuming a 405LFP....

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    There are no Cons to 45 Government............

Like lever actions.........You either love it........or you don't........

If you love lever actions you will own several in different calibers....

Just because...............

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have several 30-30’s in both Marlin and Winchester. I have a Marlin in .35 Remington. They are all I’ll ever need hunting in the piney woods. In my younger years, I thought the 3030 was antiquated and outdated. It’s my go to caliber now.

I what have Winchesters rimfires (9422 and 9422M). I sold a Winchester trapper in .357 and still kick myself for doing it!

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    How often will you be shooting it? I found that 44 mag ammo, wasn't a whole lot cheaper than 45-70, but the performance definitely is. The 44 mag lever action was the first I sold off. 357 for me was much more versatile and cheaper to shoot. Will kill anything in Texas without issue and can approach near rifle performance at limited range.

As far as the rifles. Pick which action your prefer 92 top eject means you'll be stuck with irons. A Marlin or Henry are side ejection and tapped for ease of mounting optics.
    Not true about the 92! You can mount an optic above the ejection port.......well more to the side, but you can mount anoptic
    20221227_035119.jpg

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I'm really liking my Henry in 45-70.

After owning a Puma years back I decided a big loop and pistol grip were necessities for me. This was well before Marlin and Henry started offering threaded barrels. I hadn't bought yet so this was also something I needed.

Then the Marlin Dark Series came out and that was the new gold ring for me. Of course they were impossible to find but I came across a Henry X model with similar features and grabbed it.

It's a thing of beauty.

They're available in .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .45-70, and some smaller rounds for the ladies......

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    There are no Cons to 45 Government............

Like lever actions.........You either love it........or you don't........

If you love lever actions you will own several in different calibers....

Just because...............
    My first lever action was a Henry 22. It was soon followed by several Henry rifles in other calibers.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    I'm really liking my Henry in 45-70.

After owning a Puma years back I decided a big loop and pistol grip were necessities for me. This was well before Marlin and Henry started offering threaded barrels. I hadn't bought yet so this was also something I needed.

Then the Marlin Dark Series came out and that was the new gold ring for me. Of course they were impossible to find but I came across a Henry X model with similar features and grabbed it.

It's a thing of beauty.

They're available in .44 Mag, .45 Colt, .45-70, and some smaller rounds for the ladies......
    I enjoy shooting my Henry 45-70 even at the high cost per round. After first getting a .22 Henry, it was followed by .357, .44 and 45-70.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom