• ...and so much more!
  • Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I am looking to buy a late model Bronco II, I've owned a 1986 and prefer the 2.9l engine-any wisdom on the semi old Broncs floating around out there?
    Guns International

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Well, I had an '88 Ranger (Bronco II's twin) with the 2.9 in it. They definitely had some oiling issues with that engine - which is why a lot of people put the later 4.0 in them. They used to be easy to find, but after that government-funded disaster of Cash for Clunkers, it got more difficult. Lots of good tech info on therangerstation.com. I was on that forum for years.

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    Not much help here but I had a 1990 Bronco II with the 2.9 and a 5 speed as my first vehicle. A lot of wild things happened in it until I eventually rolled it.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    No firsthand knowledge, but this resource may be helpful as far as the engine goes:

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Son had an 89 Bronco II in high school....rebuilt the 2.9L, replaced the clutch and had had a real paint job (4K at the time) done........Only problem he ever had was the ignition module that mounts to the back of the distributor. He carried a spare and a special made wrench to change it...it is a pain to change without the special wrench.....he sold it when He got a Porsche 944S....regrets it now.....

There are some mods that can be done to the 2.9L to gain a little more power......larger throttle body is one............

Top Bottom