Join TexasGunTalk

Advice needed about clay shooting and HD shotgun

Discussion in 'Shotguns' started by Zoltan, Jul 1, 2020.

1. Axxe55

Axxe55 Professional Troublemaker

Dec 15, 2019
    Texas.
    Have you ever even shot a shotgun?

2. Zoltan

Zoltan New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    Austin
    No as I stated in my first post at the start of this thread, I am new to guns. I hope that trap shooting would help me to learn to handle the gun better and add more fun to learn using it well. That's why I want a gun that is able to serve two purposes.
    Why do you ask?

3. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Curiosity.
    I reckon you intend to take up clay shooting.
    I never have.

4. Zoltan

Zoltan New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    Austin
    Yes I may be confusing the terms. Isn't clay shooting same same as trap shooting? If no, forgive me, I don't know the difference yet.

5. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    As I stated I never have shot any type of sport involving clay pigeons.
    I'm certainly not an authority, but I know how to use Google.

Axxe55 likes this.
  6. Axxe55

Axxe55 Professional Troublemaker

Dec 15, 2019
    Texas.
    You are the leading authority on Google-Fu!

7. Zoltan

Zoltan New Member

Jul 1, 2020
    Austin
    Ok I found a description of three different activities (trap, skeet, clay) but frankly I don't know which one of them I am going to do because I don't know which is available in place where I live. This is something I have yet to investigate. All three are fine to me because I didn't try any yet. From what I understood long barrel 12 GA pump-action shotgun should be good for all three and models which contain "Trap" in their name are not necessary designed only for trap shooting and not for skeet or clay. Correct me if I am wrong.
    Since Remingtons has problems with quality and Mossberg is mostly unavailable at the moment I just wanted to ask about Winchester SXP alternative. The same questions, basically, are there any quality problems? Is it as easy to use one gun with two barrels? Does their slide-action feature worth it to chose Winchester or not?

8. rotor

rotor Active Member

Nov 1, 2015
    Wichita Falls
    As I said earlier I prefer either a over-under or automatic for trap, skeet, sporting clays. Once you find a nice place to shoot you will love this type of shooting.
    For home defense I like an 18" pump and I use a Maverick 88. Inexpensive and works. The guns I use for trap, skeet, sporting clays are the high dollar guns.

9. single stack

single stack Active Member

Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    This website will help you find a place to shoot clay targets. You might want to visit one of the clubs to watch the games and talk to some of the guys. Tell them you are new and have an interest in shooting sports.

https://www.claytargetsonline.com/texas/

I have suggested previously that you might not want a trap gun right away. They are not the best for games other than trap.
    The 12 gauge combo gun does it all, home defense, hunting, and all of the clay games.
    After you’ve become addicted, you will want another gun specifically suited to your favorite game.
    Have fun and stay safe.

Spcwolf likes this.
  10. zackmars

zackmars Well-Known

Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Skeet can be done (and is often easier) with a shorter barrel/more open choke

Trap is where you'll want a longer barrel and tighter choke

Not sure about sporting clays.

Spcwolf likes this.