• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lightflyer1

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 2, 2015
    Sadly this seems to be the policy of many gun ranges. I'm sure it has to do with their perceived idea of range safety, or possibly due to how their insurance coverage dictates they do things.
    With some of the people I have seen at some of the ranges lately, I am glad they don't allow drawing by the general public. ShootPointBlank lets you draw with some conditions. Special time and such. My brother is selling his ranch finally and I am losing my do anything I want place.
    Capitol Armory ad

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    There was a video I saw in the 80's from NYC I think. BG has female hostage on sidewalk. He is holding a .38 in her mouth. And he is drunk.
    The whole city has responded and he is surrounded on all sides. He notices movement to the side removes the gun from hostages mouth and motions with it toward onlookers. Hostage ducks out of his other arm and runs away opposite direction. BG realizes things have not gone his way and motions his gun toward former hostage.
    A few seconds of gunfire erupt. BG is hit something like 39 times, goes down yet as officers move in they have to stomp on his hand to get him to let go of his gun. He lived to stand trial.
    He was shot with a mixture of 45acp, 38 special, and 9mm. The moral for us was just because you shot the bad guy does not mean he is out of the fight.
    This was just before the hi cap wonder nines took over and spray and pray was born. It served as a reminder to some of us that our beloved ,45 was not the perfect police caliber either.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    There was a video I saw in the 80's from NYC I think. BG has female hostage on sidewalk. He is holding a .38 in her mouth. And he is drunk.
    The whole city has responded and he is surrounded on all sides. He notices movement to the side removes the gun from hostages mouth and motions with it toward onlookers. Hostage ducks out of his other arm and runs away opposite direction. BG realizes things have not gone his way and motions his gun toward former hostage.
    A few seconds of gunfire erupt. BG is hit something like 39 times, goes down yet as officers move in they have to stomp on his hand to get him to let go of his gun. He lived to stand trial.
    He was shot with a mixture of 45acp, 38 special, and 9mm. The moral for us was just because you shot the bad guy does not mean he is out of the fight.
    This was just before the hi cap wonder nines took over and spray and pray was born. It served as a reminder to some of us that our beloved ,45 was not the perfect police caliber either.

I'd like to see the medical report on where he was hit. Pretty sure that his CNS was still intact.....

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Good thread title, so I'll post some inspiration. Some of it directly related. Some closely related. I'll preface this by saying I usually approach everything through the lens of pistols because that's what I like the most. Though a lot of the logic in the following videos can apply to other types of firearms.

Maximum speed. Maximum accuracy. For you, where do the two intersect? That's your performance goal. Maybe you never reach it, but you damn sure want to try for it. No one ever achieved anything great by setting moderate goals for themselves.

A lot of people hang their hat on accuracy and never challenge themselves on speed.

A lot of people focus hard on speed and competition without mastering accuracy.

Both are missing out and limiting themselves. DO BOTH. More importantly, develop a level of self control to be able to switch between the two in a manner the target dictates. I've intentionally tried to share videos that have a spirit or intent of keeping things within this venn diagram of performance. Extreme ends of the spectrum would probably be point shooting vs. bullseye. ;)

The People-Shooting Side

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The Performance & Accountability Side
    Cliff's notes and moral of the story: performance without measurement, isn't. Shot timers are cheap. Get one and start finding out precisely what you can do so you're not guessing.

Competing is a good form of stress to push you outside of your comfort zone so you can GROW. Don't confuse the drill for the application.

Think of it like weight lifting. The real work is the day in day out of putting in reps, sets, recovering, all while pushing for progressive overload. Think of the PR in weight lifting like competition shooting. You're aiming for better than you could do before. If you hit that PR, It proves the work you did everywhere else.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Extreme ends of the spectrum would probably be point shooting vs. bullseye.
    I've spent all my life on silhouette (5 shots in 2 minutes), bullseye, and similarly slow pistol sports. At my age, I don't think I can speed up. I've tried occasionally and the results were always execrable. If I ever try again, I'll probably post about it just to give y'all a good laugh.

Top Bottom