• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jpscooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2014
    1. Just purchased a Vortex PST with MRAD turrets/reticle. I have more history with MOA, but wanted to learn more and stay in line with the people I normally shoot with. Question: is there an MRAD substitute for the accuracy comment of "half minute rifle" or "quarter minute rifle"? If not, why is the inherent accuracy of a rifle noted in minutes, when there are many rifles shot using mils? *I know 1 minute is smaller than 1 mil at a given distance, just curious on the nomenclature. Thanks all!
    Lynx Defense

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    1. Question: is there an MRAD substitute for the accuracy comment of "half minute rifle" or "quarter minute rifle"? If not, why is the inherent accuracy of a rifle noted in minutes, when there are many rifles shot using mils?

Minutes are used for historical reasons.

1 MilliRadian is 3.6 inches at 100 yards. so 1/2 minute would be about .15 milliradians.

Last edited:

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Really nothing to do with accuracy, just different # clicks. Accuracy of scope is dependent on the mechanical properties of the scope.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I have both MOA and MIL scopes that are accurate. IF I am anyway.
    Partly depends on you, how you are going to use it and which is easiest for you to use.
    Mil is easier to graduate small increments on the reticle than MOA for distance shooting. Makes holdover a little more accurate. But depending on internals, reticle and turrets the moa can be jus as accurate. As a rule.
    Moa dots are probably cheaper to do accurately than .1 mils on the reticle.
    Most people will zero out to 100yds. And not shoot much past that. So most of the time finer reticle graduations are not much use for most. So why not go the cheaper route?

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Jeff Fox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2020
    Huntsville
    If you have a bunch of guns with scopes, pick one and stay with it. It is just a different standard of measure. It won't affect your shooting unless you think on one and are really on the other. Good luck.

Top Bottom