• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    No one here has the cool pews I want for sale. I do on occasion buy on here though.
    What kewl pews are you looking for? I’ve put up a scorpion evo3 have an AUG up, plenty of nice bolt actions come through, Nice AK’s, machine guns even. Glocks and AR’s seem to be floating around all the time. Or are you looking for some classic falling blocks, flint locks, cannons? ;)

BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    What kewl pews are you looking for? I’ve put up a scorpion evo3 have an AUG up, plenty of nice bolt actions come through, Nice AK’s, machine guns even. Glocks and AR’s seem to be floating around all the time. Or are you looking for some classic falling blocks, flint locks, cannons? ;)
    This is also a statewide site and this place is huge. I'm not willing to drive more than a couple hours if I can order something local. I did get a PTR32 off of here though.

I like non ar, roller delay, pcc, or old military usually.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    This is also a statewide site and this place is huge. I'm not willing to drive more than a couple hours if I can order something local. I did get a PTR32 off of here though.

I like non ar, roller delay, pcc, or old military usually.
    I’ll meet you in Hubbard when you buy my AUG :D

I get it though, I max out at about an hour drive too. Unless it’s Nee Braunfels direction because I just turn it into a family weekend down there.

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Academy has always been anal about gun sales.
    They even run a background check on LTC folks.
    Once I ordered a .22mag bolt rifle from their website. Paid for it too. When it arrived at the store I went to get it. 1.5 HOURS from entering to leaving. Every yahoo in that store had to check, recheck, and check again. This was using the electronic 4473 to boot. Hory Clap. Thought I’d never get out of there.
    I’ve resigned myself to the fact Academy employs the best rocket surgeons and brain scientists available. Just gotta roll with it.
    My local gun pusher still does paper 4473’s. I’m outta there in 10-15 minutes tops.
    I have only bought a gun in Academy once. Filled out the 4473 and waited well over an hour before being told there was a hold on the background check. When I called several days later to see if the background check had cleared, I was told they had no record of the transaction. After about 30 minutes they called me and said the rifle was ready for pickup. If the item had been available anywhere within a few hours drive then I would not have gone back to Academy to complete the sale.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    I’ve bought 7 from them over the years. What I always hated was the wait times. There never seems to be enough people working the counter, so I’m in line with everyone else. Then, there’s always the wait for a manager to come proofread the form, and of course have to wait one somebody for the walk of shame to the front cash register

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    I’ve bought 7 from them over the years. What I always hated was the wait times. There never seems to be enough people working the counter, so I’m in line with everyone else. Then, there’s always the wait for a manager to come proofread the form, and of course have to wait one somebody for the walk of shame to the front cash register
    Girl that walked me up had tight pants and a nice butt. I didn’t mind hey talking me up at all.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Academy has always been anal about gun sales.
    They even run a background check on LTC folks.
    Once I ordered a .22mag bolt rifle from their website. Paid for it too. When it arrived at the store I went to get it. 1.5 HOURS from entering to leaving. Every yahoo in that store had to check, recheck, and check again. This was using the electronic 4473 to boot. Hory Clap. Thought I’d never get out of there.
    I’ve resigned myself to the fact Academy employs the best rocket surgeons and brain scientists available. Just gotta roll with it.
    My local gun pusher still does paper 4473’s. I’m outta there in 10-15 minutes tops.

>
    "Scientists", surely. . . .

Some 15 years back, I had to remove all line from one of my big Penn VSV70 reels, as it was damaged from a big marlin strike. Academy was "on my way home", so I stopped, selected some line, but their expert was willing to let me watch.

It was immediately obvious their man had zero clue of what to do, and I wasn't going to allow him to proceed. Asked if he wanted me to show him how, or just cancel the sale, so I took over.

While their equipment was set up, I showed him the two or three ways usually employed to attach the line to the big reel's spool arbor.

As the machines ran, we talked. He said that, when hired, he got no instruction and was told to "just go do it".

Thousands of dollars could have been wasted b/c of the store's ignorance.

So, yes, scary but they know less about the fishing equipment that they "know" about arms & ammo.

Lumberjack98

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Katy
    The Gochman family Academy is what most of us grew up with. I think they did a pretty good job catering to Texans needs. KKR has done a decent job with still keeping prices affordable on their items.

I agree with Glen B, about their pricing on ammo compared to most LGS. Is it as cheap as online.... no, but for a walk in brick & mortar location for convenience definitely cheaper than most LGS's.

Academy became a publicly traded company towards the end of 2020. KKR (and affiliates) we’re majority shareholders at that time.

Currently KKR isn’t even listed in the group of 5% plus shareholders.

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    I used them as my ffl because someone is always there for the fedex man and they're open late which is nice for a working guy. My favorite local gun shop is closed half the week, opens at 11 etc.... Has caused more than one issue with delivery attempts. Guess it's back to the other overpriced local gun shop for my transfers.
    I recommend that you find a small-time FFL operating out of his home, more like a hobby. Far better transfer cost and no BS.
    I think there is a thread around here somewhere of recommended FFLs, some of which are TGT folks.

Top Bottom