• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    So a guy follows his employers policies that have been in place for almost ever, you cop an attitude telling him they won’t be getting your $$ and youre surprised that the sales dude no longer gives a crap about your presence?

Yeah. Not sure why you expected that to go any different.

That policy is why I rarely buy guns from Academy. I like to fully inspect guns I buy. I generally taken them down and look over the hunts as well as just the exterior look see. Can’t do that at Academy so I don’t buy. I’ll pay the extra $30-50 to buy from a place that allows for proper inspection

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I asked for a manager when that exact scenario happened with me. Manager took the trigger lock off with no issues.
    I didnt even have to ask for a manager last time. They just took it off.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    why yes.... yes you do!!! Was the first thing I thought of when I read your post. Climbed all over my ass for doing exactly the same thing you did. LOL... happens to the best of us. Recently was refused service because I refused to wear a mask. From the temp experience I learned to handle it a tad better. The difference 'tween my experience and yours was the smart ass attitude from the "counter boy". So while your response was questionable at best your reasons for it were not. We'll give you a B- grade!
    Actually....

AndrewBuda

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 5, 2021
    Texas
    Sounds like you overreacted to a pretty standard business practice. I've seen the same entitled boomer "customer is always right" attitude that embarrasses everyone around the person throwing a temper tantrum more times than I care to count. It's *almost* as bad as the businesses that act like they are doing you a favor by being open.

Trigger locks are annoying but they aren't the end of the world. You've got every right to shop elsewhere - it won't change the fact that damn near every sporting goods store for the last 10+ years has had trigger locks and will continue to. Bass Pro didn't until a few years back, and switched after someone loaded a pistol in one of their stores and killed himself. Frankly it makes sense in stores like Academy, WalMart, Cabela's, etc. where you've got a bunch of retail employees with little experience handling customer temper tantrums and lots of guns. In a typical gun store where the employee/customer ratio isn't as high the trigger locks don't make as much of a difference, hence I've almost never seen an LGS that has trigger locks.

Anyway, you can always ask who had the authority to take a trigger lock off - that's worked for me on occasion. It's a technique that requires checking a bit of ego at the door and not being an irate walking stereotype though.

candcallen

Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Sounds like you overreacted to a pretty standard business practice. I've seen the same entitled boomer "customer is always right" attitude that embarrasses everyone around the person throwing a temper tantrum more times than I care to count. It's *almost* as bad as the businesses that act like they are doing you a favor by being open.

Trigger locks are annoying but they aren't the end of the world. You've got every right to shop elsewhere - it won't change the fact that damn near every sporting goods store for the last 10+ years has had trigger locks and will continue to. Bass Pro didn't until a few years back, and switched after someone loaded a pistol in one of their stores and killed himself. Frankly it makes sense in stores like Academy, WalMart, Cabela's, etc. where you've got a bunch of retail employees with little experience handling customer temper tantrums and lots of guns. In a typical gun store where the employee/customer ratio isn't as high the trigger locks don't make as much of a difference, hence I've almost never seen an LGS that has trigger locks.

Anyway, you can always ask who had the authority to take a trigger lock off - that's worked for me on occasion. It's a technique that requires checking a bit of ego at the door and not being an irate walking stereotype though.
    Boomer? Oh no you didnt!

Analog Kid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Rockwall, Texas

The locks that bass-pro provides are handy if you need to lock-up, perhaps if there are kiddos in the house.

Analog Kid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2021
    Rockwall, Texas
    The trick to dealing with the passive aggressive folks is to hit 'em back with a calm and literal response.

If there is anything more I can do to help ....
    "Well you haven't been at all effective to this point, let's just play the odds on this and agree you're not able at all."
    Yep.. Honey instead of Vinegar..

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Working in retail sucks. Working in the firearms industry sucks.

Working the retail side of the firearms industry is a screaming nightmare, doubly so if its for some place like Academy or Cabelas.

Cut the kid a break.

kirk10100

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2011
    El Paso
    I hate Academy. I think the whole point is that the salesperson acted like a dipshit. I understand they have policies I don’t agree with but don’t be a douche bag about it. Unfortunately I’ve seen this happen and I’ve not been shy about letting them know they are rude then following up with an email to corporate. Had a cashier there once ask for an ID when I was buying gun lube. He saw my displeasure and very nicely apologized and said it was company policy. Cool no problem. I thanked him then left. On another occasion they changed the policy on ammo purchases from 3 boxes to 2 which I didn’t know. When I went onto pay for my three boxes the guy acted like he had seen his sister blowing me. So yeah, those rude dip sticks can go pleasure them selves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I hate Academy. I think the whole point is that the salesperson acted like a dipshit. I understand they have policies I don’t agree with but don’t be a douche bag about it. Unfortunately I’ve seen this happen and I’ve not been shy about letting them know they are rude then following up with an email to corporate. Had a cashier there once ask for an ID when I was buying gun lube. He saw my displeasure and very nicely apologized and said it was company policy. Cool no problem. I thanked him then left. On another occasion they changed the policy on ammo purchases from 3 boxes to 2 which I didn’t know. When I went onto pay for my three boxes the guy acted like he had seen his sister blowing me. So yeah, those rude dip sticks can go pleasure them selves.

Was it spray/aerosol lube?

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Honestly, I have to agree with @candcallen, and it may very well be store policy, or company policy or whatever, but the attitude is what drove CC over the edge. The store employee could have handled that in much different way. But it seems he copped an attitude instead.

I've worked shit jobs like that where the store policy has been stupid and caused issues. I was always very quick to politely let the customer know who made the policy and that I didn't like it either but had no choice but to go along with it. Most of the time, it went a long ways towards calming things down. Attitude means a lot.

Just because you work for them doesn't mean you have to take a bullet for them. It's their policy, throw them under the bus and let them deal with it. They don't pay you anywhere near enough to deal with that crap.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Could always support the small shops, but nobody ever wants to pay the higher prices and instead they go in and finger **** the guns before heading online.

Depends on how much higher the price is. I'll pay a premium for instant gratification and to support local business. Not $200-$300 extra though.

Top Bottom