• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    My father always taught me, if you going to do it, do it right.
    So true. My dad taught me the same way. But in this case, if it works, I did it right. :) If it doesn't, I'm not out that much and I will probably end up taking it to the shop to get the leak fixed. The leak stop I put in it had red dye and I can't find any red dye leaking out except for the little bit at the Schrader valve.
    Lynx Defense

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Moisture can’t enter the system until system pressure reaches zero. When you pull the s harder valve it’s at zero for what amount of time? 5 seconds? Once your replace the Schroeder valve, unless there is a leak else where, moisture can’t enter the system. Yes... my suggestion cuts some corners but... theres already corners being cut. Go by a/c shop, explain your situation, tell’em what I’ve recommended. At first they’ll disagree but if you stay with stressing low cost solution they may agree it’s a solution, not the best but one that ”should” cure your immediate problem.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    If you end up adding more freon get it with lubricant included. If you’re trying to add only lubricant it’s best to do that before charging the system.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    can't find any red dye leaking out except for the little bit at the Schrader valve.
    that wouldn’t be the same valve you used to install the leak stop - would it?

The caps are only intended to keep debris out of the valve not to serve as a leak sealer. Pull the caps off all four wheels. See how many go flat. Is the same schrader valve.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Actually just dawned on my how to check if the schrader valve is leaking. The old spit on the finger trick like we used to do with tires. Or put a small balloon over the fitting.

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Actually just dawned on my how to check if the schrader valve is leaking. The old spit on the finger trick like we used to do with tires. Or put a small balloon over the fitting.
    Orrr... you could just put your mouth over it for a week or so and see if your cheeks puffed out any! Proceed at you own risk:green:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    No disagreement here but I believe I recall the op indicating that wasn’t going to happen. Just presenting options short of taking it to a certified repair facility - which would be the “right” way for the op to solve this problem.
    Have to disagree with that.

He can do the work himself and do it the right way.

No real reason not to pull a vacuum on the system. Will also confirm that no other leaks exist.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The R134A systems don't use the schrader valve type. It's very small ball valve with a spring to provide the pressure to keep it sealed.
    I am aware of that. Using the term loosely. Think I referred to the ball type valves being more prone to leakage in an earlier post. Many folks still refer to it as a schrader valve, even though it technically is not as you point out.

I have had two of the ball type valves leak. Easy to replace and cheap. Bled the system pressure, replaced the valve, pulled the vacuum, closed it in and let it sit to verify no other leaks, recharged. Piece of cake.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    Have to disagree with that.

He can do the work himself and do it the right way.

No real reason not to pull a vacuum on the system. Will also confirm that no other leaks exist.
    Yup... again no disagreement. Yes, he can, but to do so requires purchasing vacuum pump, set of gauges, leak detector/sniffer. So now he's 150 bucks in, at the least, with cheap equipment, that might actually function, to solve a single incident problem. That doesn't even get the problem fixed but may allow the OP to diagnose the problem. The cat can be skinned many ways.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I am aware of that. Using the term loosely. Think I referred to the ball type valves being more prone to leakage in an earlier post. Many folks still refer to it as a schrader valve, even though it technically is not as you point out.

I have had two of the ball type valves leak. Easy to replace and cheap. Bled the system pressure, replaced the valve, pulled the vacuum, closed it in and let it sit to verify no other leaks, recharged. Piece of cake.

Personally, I'm just going to back out of this thread with all the "experts" giving Bozz advice on how to fix his A/C.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yup... again no disagreement. Yes, he can, but to do so requires purchasing vacuum pump, set of gauges, leak detector/sniffer. So now he's 150 bucks in, at the least, with cheap equipment, that might actually function, to solve a single incident problem. That doesn't even get the problem fixed but may allow the OP to diagnose the problem. The cat can be skinned many ways.
    The pump and gauges are not single use items. No need to buy the sniffer if the system holds vacuum.

I have saved a lot of money over the years doing my own a/c work.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Attached balloons to the low port and high port.
    IMG_2436.JPG

Two hours and 15 minutes later...no change. So the Schrader valves are not leaking and I can't find red dye anywhere. If there is a leak, it's in the worst place possible....the evaporator. Oh hell, I haven't checked the condenser yet.

IMG_2438.JPG
    IMG_2438.JPG

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom