• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slumpychuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2021
    Conroe, Tx
    My favorite is the left lane driver that you are stuck behind for miles, then as you go to pass him on the right, he speeds up to try to keep ahead of you...

Oh here's another great one. The left lane driver that is too stupid to realize there's more cars on the road than the one right in front of them, speeds up in the right lane trying to pass, just to end up back in the same spot.
    Military Camp

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    The only difference between Houston, DFW, etc. and the outlying areas is the higher numbers of drivers. Out here, there are still people in a hurry and if people are not driving fast enough to suit them on the two lane roads then they pass in no passing zones, regardless of the oncoming traffic, or on the shoulder. Even where they have added alternating one lane/two lanes to allow passing, it is not fast enough to suit some. Brownwood to Lampasas has that set up and when I drove it the Sunday after Thanksgiving, people would pass in the oncoming lane to get around a cluster in the two lane section.

One of the things that the NASCAR and Le Mans wannabes forget is, that even if you are capable of driving like that, not everyone else is.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Nope. You have completely misunderstood me.

By law, the left lane is the passing lane. Texas is one of the few states that has laws for AND posts signs saying "left lane for passing only," yet few people adhere to it and the police do not enforce it.

The unwritten yet well established rules of the road include that the left lane is the passing lane. If you're in the left lane, you'd better be passing someone. If you're not passing, or not passing fast enough, people behind are you going to tailgate you and may even flash thier lights at you to communicate that you are being rude, holding up traffic, and creating an unsafe driving condition.

Common practical sense says, If the police would enforce the "left lane for passing only" as much as they do the speed limit signs, then Texas highways would be much safer.

Yeah, maybe I shouldn’t have said you thought people “should ignore one side”. That’s a poor characterization on my part. But it did seem as though you felt one issue deserved less criticism. I don’t know if that was your intention though.

FWIW, I’ve been stopped for going over the speed limit while passing on a 2 lane road, and my sister was stopped on I-35 for driving in the left lane late at night with no other traffic in the area. She was ticketed, I got a warning... my personal experience is by no means a good measure of overall standards though. But stops for left lane cruising do happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX
    What was the initiative called 30-40 years ago when Texas presented courteous driving ideas like the “Texas Pass” where slow drivers would get over two-lane roads having a wide shoulder to let others pass more safely?

What happened to those courteous driving ideas? Long since forgotten?

Last edited:

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I drive on 59 daily, and rarely is it possible to get to 80 mph let alone 100 because of the traffic. Now the Grand Pkway (99) is another story. Speed limit is 75, and if you aren’t going 90, you’re gonna feel like you’re moving backwards. I 110% agree, that if cops would enforce the left lane for passing only law, my blood pressure would be considerably lower!

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    What was the initiative called 30-40 years ago when Texas presented courteous driving ideas like the “Texas Pass” where slow drivers would get over two-lane roads having a wide shoulder to let others pass more safely?

What happened to those courteous driving ideas? Long since forgotten?
    Hell, I still do that if needed.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I don't be in the left lane only doing 70-75 mph unless the car in front of me is conducting a blockin' manuver! :flag:

You obviously did not read the entire post OR did not comprehend it?
    " I've gotta system I employ from time to time. @ 70-75mph if I can't see your parking lights in my review mirror we're probably going to have problems. If, at those speeds, I can not see the front of your hood - yep... we're slowing down. "

Your words, not mine.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    It’s funny that you say people should ignore the danger caused by not following one traffic sign because they are not their business, but then say ignoring another sign you are causing a dangerous situation.

I don’t tend to speed or drive in the left lane. But I thought it was a little ironic that you chose to have different standards for highway signage.

[/QUOTE

?

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Yep, hand up. I'm one of them. What's the hurry? Speeding is a habit not a need. If you're late you should have started earlier. Simple.
    If you spent as much time behind the windshield as I do, you might think differently.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Texan drivers were a whole new breed. Texas' already high speed limits were a welcome sight when we crossed the border from Oklahoma, but in the few thousand miles I've driven since getting here - its not just SE Texas which has speedy drivers. From Oklahoma to Houston, it seemed pretty common that left-lane = 15-20 over, sometimes more. Middle lane (on a 3 lane) is usually within a few MPH of the left, and even in the right lane if you're not doing at least 10 over, you're a rolling speed bump. I've been tail gated in the right lane, the middle lane - and even when I was passing other traffic in the left, I've had people fly up on my ass. SOlution? As soon as safely possible, move over and let the speedier drivers pass.

I like the faster pace on the highways - I don't enjoy sitting in traffic or poking along. If you're in a residential area, speed limits should be adhered to, especially around schools - but open road / highways? Eh, let the flow dictate speed. *knock on wood* until you have red & blues flashing in your mirror, you're fine. I've been passed by constables and deputies while I was going 10 over on some of the farm to market roads, and they weren't running code, just going with the flow of traffic.

I know most Texan drivers would probably have fits up in the PNW - speed limits are generally way too low. 55-60mph on rural stretches of highways! 60-70 max on the interstate stuff. State cops typically give you 10 over.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Y'all need mass transit.
    Yep. Let's pack 'em in and share the Wu Flu. :)

Seriously, there's a good geopolitical analyst who is pushing the theory that, post-Covid, cities that rely almost exclusively on mass transit will see people leaving simply because they don't want to be packed like sardines into boxes with other people who may pass along an illness. I think he's wrong in the long term but that sort of thinking is out there and there has been some exodus from big cities directly attributable to Covid.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    I am old enough to remember when 18 wheeler drivers would help you know when to pass safely. When anyone going slower would pull over on to the shoulder and let you around.

Those days are gone.

I don't speed on residential streets. But I do drive a little faster on the wide open highway where conditions permit. Driving time is not productive, and is time I will never get back. Anyone doing a lot of job travel will, at some point, realize how much of their life is spent behind the wheel.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom