• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    That is interesting because when I moved back to Texas and had to do the drivers ed class for dismissing a ticket, both instructors (one retired DPS) advised against driving on the shoulder to enable faster drivers to pass. I asked my dad (retired HPD and the person I learned to do that from) about it at the time and he told me to stop doing it as it had become unsafe.
    Its legal, I do it and expect it to be done.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Now as back then, I do it when conditions are right and it can be done safely. I prefer to have really discourteous and stupid drivers in front of me where I can keep an eye on them.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    Most “country folk” pull rt on two laners for a vehicle approaching from behind.

City folks and arseholes not so much.

I always wonder why it is the joe citizen feels HE needs to try and “enforce” the speedlimit for me.

Just GTFO the way and let folks do whatevah.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    That is interesting because when I moved back to Texas and had to do the drivers ed class for dismissing a ticket, both instructors (one retired DPS) advised against driving on the shoulder to enable faster drivers to pass. I asked my dad (retired HPD and the person I learned to do that from) about it at the time and he told me to stop doing it as it had become unsafe.

I think dad only said that because his reaction times we’re already way slower by 2000-2001 He was having huge difficulty just driving around normally, staying aware of his surroundings. Our dps friends out here all say it’s fine.

Texas45

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Not where you are
    From TX trans code

(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:

(1) passing another vehicle;  or

(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Seems pulling right is what one should do if impeding the flow of traffic aka dragging an anchor.

Subject to one interpretation I guess

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    From TX trans code

(b) An operator of a vehicle on a roadway moving more slowly than the normal speed of other vehicles at the time and place under the existing conditions shall drive in the right-hand lane available for vehicles, or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, unless the operator is:

(1) passing another vehicle;  or

(2) preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Seems pulling right is what one should do if impeding the flow of traffic aka dragging an anchor.

Subject to one interpretation I guess

Then one interpretation of that would be drive on the shoulder except when passing, right? SInce that is what one is supposed to do on a four lane road. The other interpretation would be that since the shoulder is not the roadway, it is up to the driver to determine when and where it was safe to drive on the shoulder to enable passing.

Has anyone gotten a ticket for not driving on the shoulder to enable passing?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Then one interpretation of that would be drive on the shoulder except when passing, right? SInce that is what one is supposed to do on a four lane road. The other interpretation would be that since the shoulder is not the roadway, it is up to the driver to determine when and where it was safe to drive on the shoulder to enable passing.

Has anyone gotten a ticket for not driving on the shoulder to enable passing?

As I mentioned in a previous post here, I got a ticket for $74 for driving on the shoulder and allowing a faster car behind me to pass.

Hence, I don't pull over on a shoulder to allow a car to pass me anymore.

My grandfather did it. My father did it. I did it for many years, and never got ticketed for it. Personally, I read the Texas Traffic Codes, and it's illegal in the state of Texas, but I think it's one of those situations where some officers just turn a blind eye.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    As I mentioned in a previous post here, I got a ticket for $74 for driving on the shoulder and allowing a faster car behind me to pass.

Hence, I don't pull over on a shoulder to allow a car to pass me anymore.

My grandfather did it. My father did it. I did it for many years, and never got ticketed for it. Personally, I read the Texas Traffic Codes, and it's illegal in the state of Texas, but I think it's one of those situations where some officers just turn a blind eye.
    At one time TX DPS were actually running radio commercials asking for people to pull to the shoulder and let faster cars pass. " It was the polite thing to do".

Top Bottom