• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    Got a card in the mail from Don Huffines. He claimed he would get rid of property tax. Said it was too complicated to put on the card but to look at his campaign website. Here is what he says about eliminating property tax... What in the state's budget would he whack to pay for schools and our emergency service district (read local VFD) etc. While it would be wonderful to stop paying the county for services, this sounds a bit like smoke and mirrors as he wants the state to pick up the tab and where does this money come from? Better budget management? RIght.

quote....................
    Texans deserve to own their homes truly. Our state has some of the highest property taxes in the nation. Skyrocketing property taxes prevent hardworking families from true homeownership by forcing them to pay ever-increasing payments, much like rent, to the government.

The key to property tax elimination is strong leadership—and that leadership starts at the top. Texas needs a governor who wants to provide property tax relief and who will step up to lead the legislature.

It’s time to provide Texans with relief from skyrocketing property taxes. We can phase out the property tax system entirely.

All Texans will get to vote on a constitutional amendment that I will task the legislature to deliver. This amendment will ensure that no reversal can take place after your property taxes start going down. It could be eliminated in as little as 10 years.

Principles that will lead to property tax elimination are below:

• Phase-out the property tax system entirely
    • Allow Texans to vote on a constitutional amendment that puts property taxes on a path to zero
    • Place a stronger cap on state spending and then prioritize our budget to guarantee that public schools are fully fundedas school property taxes are phased out
    • End the largest portion of property taxes, the public school portion, before the end of my time as governor
    • Implement cuts to wasteful programs that don’t serve Texans
    • Ensure that consumption tax swaps are slow and gradual as property taxes fall significantly. Income taxes are off the table
    We have the most creative and innovative minds in Texas. We have the solutions to get the job done and provide relief for hard-working citizens.

Texans deserve real leadership, and they need it now. People are literally being taxed out of their homes. It’s unacceptable that Texans can spend decades doing the right thing, paying off their mortgage, only to lose their home due to skyrocketing property taxes.

The government doesn’t own your home—you do!
    Guns International

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    No income tax is one reason property taxes are high. That money would need to be replaced somehow. Only ways I see are sales or income tax.

We do need school finance reform. Robinhood is essentially taxation without representation and our founding fathers found that idea revolting. If part of my school taxes go to some other district, I want to vote on their bond and board elections.

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    I see a lot of cuts in his proposal.

But you can’t cut your way to prosperity…the tax will just be replaced with another tax.

And focusing on schools since they’re responsible for the majority of of current property taxation:
    Whether this new tax will,only be paid by those who use public school services, or paid by every property owner as currently, is what I want to know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I don’t care WTF you call it, .gov is going to collect revenue to pay for the public goods and services. I’m not a huge fan of each ISD collecting their own, additional tax, especially since it’s a peanut butter spread across all property owners, whether they tale advantage of the schools or not.

We can talk revenue swaps all day long, just realize what’s achievable is limited by the state constitution and what voters will go for.

Huffines wants to swap property taxes with increased sales tax, remove sales tax exclusions, add services as a taxable transaction, and shitcan all the current tax holidays throughout the year. Roads and bridges get a use tax, and he’s floated the idea of a value added tax for big ticket purchases.

Him and West focusing on reducing the property tax burden are just pandering to voters with no sense of how they’re going to actually make it happen. In essence, you gotta pass the bill to see what’s in the bill.

TBNT; show me how, with draft legislation.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    West is promising no property taxes too. Imo the schools spend way to much money on sports.

Our local school district had a couple bonds on the ballot. Over a hundred million dollars across both of them. (I think it was 140 million, but my mind is a bit rusty)

There ar 8720 students in the district. That math just doesn’t make sense.

I have 6 yo in a private hybrid system (spends 3 school days at home, 2 at school) for the cost of like $2200/year. My first grader is reading Box Car Kids by himself and will start cursive next semester.

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    My biggest gripe about school property taxes are the bond elections. Everybody wants good schools. Everybody wants nice schools with good facilities. So bond elections pass and taxes go up to pay for the bonds. BUT, when the bonds are paid off taxes NEVER go back down. It's a prescription for unlimited raising of our taxes! If nothing else gets changed, it should be law that a corresponding decrease in taxes occurs when the bonds are paid off.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I'm all for no property taxes. Property taxes are what has me considering other states for retirement. I would like my property to be mine when I pay it off.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Name a state without property tax. My CO property tax was about 1/3d what my TX property tax is. But the CO income tax and sales/service tax haircuts resulted in my total tax burden in TX to be lower. Not by much, but certainly lower.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Gonna come from somewhere.

And in all likelihood, they would come up with a new tax to "replace" the property tax but somehow the property tax would never die.

At least with school taxes, the officials are locally elected. And if those living in the district get riled up enough, they can take action.

studenygreg

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2015
    Name a state without property tax. My CO property tax was about 1/3d what my TX property tax is. But the CO income tax and sales/service tax haircuts resulted in my total tax burden in TX to be lower. Not by much, but certainly lower.
    Sorry. Let me rephrase. I'm for lower property taxes.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

dapakattack

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2013
    DFW Area
    Property taxes aren't going away, but it does need to be reformed. As others have stated, ISD taxes/spending need to be looked at.

Tax my house at the value I paid for it....as long as I own my home...and that it is my homestead. If I paid $100k for it in 2000 then it should be taxed as $100k in 2021. A new taxable value for the house would be set when I sell it and the new owners taxed at that value for as long as they homestead the house. Rental property and businesses would be taxed as they currently are.

I'm sure there are big flaws in my proposal, but I'm just a simple guy that loves guns :loaded:

Top Bottom