Texas SOT

Abbott Now Going to Increase Restrictions?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    That's what I figured you meant. Still not quite making the connection. Maybe it's the lack of bourbon in my system. ;)
    Pretty straight forward. Abbot doesn't have a way out. Shut down again, open up again, more testing finds more positives, lather rinse repeat.

Business needs a stable environment to work, and the D mayors are pretty clear they're openly hostile to business right now, so he's played into their hands. The only question left to answer is who's going to win the D primary between Adler and Nurenberg and who'll they're going to face with no record from the GOP.

Shutting down now puts a D in the governor's seat in 2022, unless a helicopter ride or two is involved.

roadkill

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Pretty straight forward. Abbot doesn't have a way out. Shut down again, open up again, more testing finds more positives, lather rinse repeat.

Business needs a stable environment to work, and the D mayors are pretty clear they're openly hostile to business right now, so he's played into their hands. The only question left to answer is who's going to win the D primary between Adler and Nurenberg and who'll they're going to face with no record from the GOP.

Shutting down now puts a D in the governor's seat in 2022, unless a helicopter ride or two is involved.

ca9fffe3091cb770bcb21726ca643889.jpg

Attachments

• ca9fffe3091cb770bcb21726ca643889.jpg
      ca9fffe3091cb770bcb21726ca643889.jpg
      52.8 KB · Views: 252

Jwr1221

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2015
    Houston, TX
    I just went to https://gov.texas.gov/ to drop Abbott a quick note to share my thoughts on why locking down again and giving power to judges / mayors is not what Texas wants... Hopefully if enough of us do that along with pressure from the TX GOP, it will keep him from caving...

Have you guys done the same? Click on "Contact" and then "I want to share my opinion"...

Josh

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I just went to https://gov.texas.gov/ to drop Abbott a quick note to share my thoughts on why locking down again and giving power to judges / mayors is not what Texas wants... Hopefully if enough of us do that along with pressure from the TX GOP, it will keep him from caving...

Have you guys done the same? Click on "Contact" and then "I want to share my opinion"...

Josh
    Multiple times. I just sent another one saying another shelter in place order will turn Texas blue.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Multiple times. I just sent another one saying another shelter in place order will turn Texas blue.

Abbott’s strategy has been fucked up for this entire effort. He should have done as little state-wide harm as possible by allowing cities and counties to do whatever they wanted and reminded folks that if you didn’t like the .gov you’ve got, then recall the local officials since that was a viable option.

He never should have adjusted the original fine or arrest language that’s in the Texas Disaster Act, either. Let that shit air out in court and recall the legislature to amend the code would have been great.

By getting involved, he’s gotta prove the unprovable, which is he can more successfully handle the management 254 different counties than the local .govs can. Meanwhile, the major metros were doing a great job of proving D rule is not what Texans want. Now, not only are the successfully blaming him for incompetence, but also saying “I told you so” and getting to tell the press “see, I knew the governor would come around to our way of thinking, don’t forget to vote early and vote often for me in the next Governors race”.

ETA: Abbot is on the verge, of not already made himself a lame duck.

Last edited:

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    What I can't understand is how someone who has been in politics as long as Abbott can't see that his "one size fits all" shutdown and mask strategies are doomed failures in a state of this size and diversity. There is no "one Texas" and, other than our governor, there is no "one problem" that affects everyone. If there is a virus problem in 10-11 counties, deal with it and don't let the local yokel mayors and judges take your authority. Meanwhile, leave the rest of the state alone until there is an actual need to destroy the economy and disrupt of the lives of good folks who live in the vast majority of the state.

If you live in one of the major metro areas, there are positives and negatives to be dealt with and that includes mask and shutdown restrictions. Even a fool can see, however, that there is no need for any of this BS in 90% of the state and the state needs to keep the lid on the power hungry city and county governments that want to impose unnecessary sanctions against their citizens.

Top Bottom