• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • etmo

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2020
    Cedar Creek, Tx
    “Law reflects (but in no sense determines) the moral worth of a society.

The values of a reasonably just society will reflect themselves in a reasonably just law. The better the society, the less law there will be. In heaven there will be no law, and the lion shall lie down with the lamb. The values of an unjust society will reflect themselves in an unjust law. The worse the society, the more law there will be. In hell there will be nothing but law, and due process will be meticulously observed.”

― Grant Gilmore, The Ages of American Law

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    My father gave me some wise advice when I was way much younger.

"Unless you are in a ring, with a referee, there is no such thing as a fair fight. You don't fight to win, you fight to survive."
    My self defense instructor in the academy said the same thing, but added paperwork makes the dream work.

Most times people, in my case, weren't fighting to hurt you but get away. The above applies to those who only wanted to hurt you, i.e. actually fight not just get away.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    “Law reflects (but in no sense determines) the moral worth of a society.

The values of a reasonably just society will reflect themselves in a reasonably just law. The better the society, the less law there will be. In heaven there will be no law, and the lion shall lie down with the lamb. The values of an unjust society will reflect themselves in an unjust law. The worse the society, the more law there will be. In hell there will be nothing but law, and due process will be meticulously observed.”

― Grant Gilmore, The Ages of American Law
    That's good stuff. Wonder what he would say about ENFORCING of said laws? It seems like we make more and more, yet fail to enforce what we have. I am old enough to remember people saying "we are a nation of laws." I blame the ruling class for drifting us away from that.

BigTexasOne

Support gun control! Hit what you aim at!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2016
    Springtown
    We could actually have only a single law if people were good and understood their rights. The law would state only, "thou shalt not violate another's rights"

Ozzman

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 17, 2015
    El Paso, Texas
    We could actually have only a single law if people were good and understood their rights. The law would state only, "thou shalt not violate another's rights"
    Agree.. but this statement is only as righteous as the weakest link in the group. With any law, there is a penalty to be paid. Thus, in the event that "ye doth violated another's right" what would be the penalty? Cause and effect right?

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    The Golden Rule covers most situations.
    “Don’t be a dick” covers the rest.

Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.
    Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Simplify, then add lightness.
    - Colin Chapman

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member