• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    I'm old and over weight and diabetic and out of shape and have garments and ancestors and a bone in my foot so it's been hunker down seemingly forever now. But it has given me lots of time to treat my handguns and rifles to a deserved Spa Day. The most recent has been my 1949 Remington 241 that has been sitting for about twenty years or more watching its newer brethren like the Ruger 10/22 Takedown get to go WalkAbout.

medium800.jpg

But no longer. I got it out and after it got accustomed to the bright light gave it a full Spa Day with a full body massage as well as detailed cleansing (no cucumber wrap though), I have some limits. The action simply didn't action at all at first and the old lube was more like cosmoline but gradually everything began moving freely and true significant dents began appearing on the snap cap rims.

Saturday morning I got to my local range bright and early, early enough to see the lights come on in the store front and the owner was gracious enough to say I could even turn the lane lights on. The brass from the previous day littered the floor but I knew where the brush was so I cleared around about three lanes and started function tests. As always, initially one round only, then two, then five and finally the full ten rounds of 22LR.

The old gun was flawless; no failure to feed, no failure to fire, no failure to eject, no hot casings on various body parts. Then I tried three different cartridges brands, two Remington and one Federal. All were from Bulk Pack yet every round fired; it was just as I remembered it to be. Frankly it was far more reliable and accurate and just plain fun than the 10/22.

Once I was sure that everything was working I shut the lanes and lights down and when out to the store front and the owner wanted to see what I had been shooting. He was amazed by how well everything fit together and considering the fact that it was older than his dad I think he was impressed.

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg

medium800.jpg
    Guns International

sidebite252

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2013
    Lake Texoma
    Man that’s a sweet rifle. Great post.

You’ve inspired me to clean up my wife’s old Winchester model 67. It was her grandfathers rifle and she says he kept it in his pick up on the 2 gun rifle rack when he was raising cattle up in Carter County, Ok. It needs some real TLC and I’m fixing to get off my keester and clean it up for a range day.

Love your Remington 241. Thanks for the post & motivation.

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    Man that’s a sweet rifle. Great post.

You’ve inspired me to clean up my wife’s old Winchester model 67. It was her grandfathers rifle and she says he kept it in his pick up on the 2 gun rifle rack when he was raising cattle up in Carter County, Ok. It needs some real TLC and I’m fixing to get off my keester and clean it up for a range day.

Love your Remington 241. Thanks for the post & motivation.
    An old Winnie 67 with that 27" barrel and single shot bolt action should be a real nail driver. Pics though once you give it its own SPA DAY.

Honestly, even though I have some newer 22s like the Ruger, it's always the older ones that I end up simply giggling over at the line.

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    A testament to John Browning's genius. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. I have no experience with the Remington but love the Browning SA-22's.
    Actually it is not imitation.

Remington was the US company Browning licensed to make the rifle, initially as the Model 24. In Europe FN was licensed to make the SA-22. The 241 was scaled up from the 24 and the gearing to assemble the takedown modified slightly from the original design.

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    That is a sweet looking rifle , and I love my Remington 572 field Master pump that was
    made some time in the 50's as I cant find a serial number on it.
    It also is a tack driver.
    You can find a made date (2 or 3 letters) on the left side of the barrel in most cases.

codes here

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Actually it is not imitation.

Remington was the US company Browning licensed to make the rifle, initially as the Model 24. In Europe FN was licensed to make the SA-22. The 241 was scaled up from the 24 and the gearing to assemble the takedown modified slightly from the original design.
    So you take issue with the word imitation...ok....The Browning SA-22 was FIRST in 1914. Remington made model 24's under contract starting in 1919 but changed some minor details.

jar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    The Valley
    So you take issue with the word imitation...ok....The Browning SA-22 was FIRST in 1914. Remington made model 24's under contract starting in 1919 but changed some minor details.
    Both were authorized and licensed Browning patent rifles. It's similar to the 1906 FN Browning and the 1908 Colt Vest Pocket. FN made it first and then Colt also licensed the design yet the two differ in significant ways. I would not call the Colt 1908 an imitation.

medium800.jpg

standard.jpg

At the time it was quite common for licenses to use a patent be limited to sales only in designated markets. That was true in these cases with one additional provision; in the case of the vest pocket Colt was allowed to sell it into the UK market as long as a royalty on each sale was paid to FN.

Top Bottom