• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thescoutranch

TN Transplant - We love living in TX
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 5, 2020
    Georgetown
    I’ve been looking at getting an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning firearms, auto parts, brass and other things. I am a bit confused on the operating frequencies the different ultrasonic cleaner‘s operate at.
    It seems like most of the ones from Hornaday, Lyman etc. run about 35 kHz. In talking to one ultrasonic company they said the sweet spot is around 40 kHz. The one I was looking at that is big enough to fit my needs, runs at 28 kHz.

What I gathered was the lower the frequency the more course cleaning it does; where the higher frequencies can get the cavitation bubbles in the tighter places. I also gathered that the lower the frequency the larger the bubbles and less there are of them. The higher the frequency the smaller the bubbles are and more of them.
    I might just getting lost in the minutia of the details or is there a significant difference between 28 kHz and 35 kHz in the way it cleans.
    Will the lower frequencies possibly harm a firearm? Or its finish?
    Do number of transducers make a difference?
    Are 10 transducers better than four or do they just size the transducers for the number they use?

Thanks,
    Epp
    Thescoutranch
    ARJ Defense ad

RePete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2020
    God's Country
    I'm using a Hornady Sonic (older) with the Lyman Steel solution and my gun come out clean. A bit of brushing on the feed ramp of metal guns and barrels with a bronze brush and a nylon brush on plastic frames.

Other that I could use a larger one, I'm very happy with my purchase.

RePete

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2020
    God's Country
    I'm using a Hornady Sonic (older) with the Lyman Steel solution and my gun come out clean. A bit of brushing on the feed ramp of metal guns and barrels with a bronze brush and a nylon brush on plastic frames.

Other that I could use a larger one, I'm very happy with my purchase.

I must change what I said in the above post.

The Hornady died on the 03 June, I was urinated off. Hornady have 3, 2 of which are too small (smaller than the old unit) and a larger one that will take a 16" AR upper, nice but too large for me.

I ended up getting a Lyman TurboSonic 6000. So far it works well.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    While waiting for replies, there are multiple threads on the subject you can look at.
    I have no idea if they answer your question.

scattergun6

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 17, 2021
    San Antonio
    I am using one of the small Hornady ultrasonic cleaners, mostly for cleaning brass before reloading, but I am also using it to clean the BCG of my AR. The bolt and other bolt carrier group components are always filthy and carbon-encrusted, and the ultrasonic cleaner will eventually clean all the pieces, after running it through several 8-minute cycles. The tag on the base of the ultrasonic cleaner states that it operates at 60 Hz. (it also says that its made in China... :-( )
    It does an excellent job of cleaning brass.
    I am using Hornady One Shot Gun Parts cleaning solution for the AR parts, and Frankford Arsenal brass cleaning solution for brass.

Stan

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I am using one of the small Hornady ultrasonic cleaners, mostly for cleaning brass before reloading, but I am also using it to clean the BCG of my AR. The bolt and other bolt carrier group components are always filthy and carbon-encrusted, and the ultrasonic cleaner will eventually clean all the pieces, after running it through several 8-minute cycles. The tag on the base of the ultrasonic cleaner states that it operates at 60 Hz. (it also says that its made in China... :-( )
    It does an excellent job of cleaning brass.
    I am using Hornady One Shot Gun Parts cleaning solution for the AR parts, and Frankford Arsenal brass cleaning solution for brass.

Stan
    The 60hz that refers to is the AC input frequency for power, not the frequency of the ultrasonic transducer.
    It may not have that frequency on the label.

Top Bottom