• ...and so much more!
  • MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    @MTA89
    Told ya ( after you mentioned hearing it crash through brush) that it was dead;)
    Good to meet you yesterday.
    I was debating on whether I should go back out and risk scaring some deer off but glad I went out there anyways

Ill be gone for two weeks so thatll give it some time to settle back down there

Nice to meet you too

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I learned a similar lesson many years ago when I first got into reloading. I made a batch of 150gr Remington accutip bullets and headed out to hunt. I had previously sighted the rifle in with 140gr Winchester bst but decided to try out my own.

So a decent buck walks into a clearing and I decide to take a heart shot like I'm some kind of sniper. Instead I put one right through his arm pit. Then, thinking I hit him for sure I got out of my tripod to check it out. Didn't even wait 10 minutes. Sure enough he's not far from where I shot him, alive and well.

Naturally he ran off and lived on. Later I shoot those reloads only to find them placing low and right about 6 inches in each direction. Explains the terrible placement and lack of damage. Several good lessons learned that day served with a large helping of humility. In the end just glad he wasn't wounded too bad to keep going.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dang, thanks....

Guess it was a stupid question, lol.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.

Why is it a link to Arizona?

I thought I read something about south Texas.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I had a hell of a weekend hunting in South Texas so riding that high I went out to my local stand yesterday. It was a great day to be hunting. Warm air and no wind had alot of animals moving. I was getting out late to my stand and decided to pull my trail cam card before instead of after hunting. Id be gone for three days and wanted to see what was out there. A lone boar hog had been coming in for the last three days right at sunset along with does shortly after. I settled in feeling good that Id see something that evening

About 30 minutes after my feeder had gone off, I heard rustling off to my left. Just out of the brush a big fat boar hog came running out towards the corn. He made it about 5 feet away before pausing and then hustling back to the tree line. I am guessing he caught my scent from being down there about 40 mins earlier. Feeling a surge of buck fever kick in as I never see hogs during the day on this property, he paused right before the tree line in some high grass. I put the crosshairs on him and pulled the trigger.

He didn't let out a sound but he tore through that brush. I felt pretty good about the shot but gave him 20-25 minutes before I went looking. I get down to the spot where I had shot him and there was not a single drop of blood at all. I tracked where he had ran to and same story. I was wondering what the hell happened there for awhile. I had just smoked two bucks with this rifle of which neither had ran more than 15 feet. Hope wasn't completely gone because I noticed with both of the bucks that there was the same lack of blood trail despite obliterating the lungs and heart on each. (The rounds I was using are the S&B SPCE 150gr in 308 out of my Sauer 100 Silver XT.)

I crept along the edge of the brush and heard a big commotion of tree branches breaking. I decided to back out as I didn't want to spook the deer too bad back there. Feeling completely dejected, I had a sleepless night wondering what happened. Come afternoon, I headed out with my dog on the 4 wheeler to see if we could find anything. We ended up finding it about 150 yards from the stand in some cedar. I saw it from far off and could tell it was a big hog

Well the last time I had to throw around a hog that size, her name was Sarah and it was in high school, so after nearly destroying my back, I got the big bastard back to my house so I could see the shot. It wasn't pretty. Turns out he was quartered in that high grass more than I thought. The shot when it way back and I am guessing hit the vitals as it went forward. Not enough to kill him on the spot but enough to get him to drop within 150 yards of impact. Despite the lack of blood trail, I can't recommend the SPCE factory ammo enough, it is accurate (if you don't rush your shot like a rookie) and it grenades the internal organs effectively. I am fairly certain that if it were a proper shot made, that hog would have followed suit and died close and quick.

Lessons learned:

1. Always track your quarry, even if you have to back out
    2. Remain humble because God is always right there to give you a lesson in humility
    3. Hogs are smaller than deer. Aim small, miss small. View attachment 288638 View attachment 288639 View attachment 288640
    Hogs often have enough fat to act like a self-sealing fuel tank and close up to keep the blood in, long enough to get off the X.

They can move a ways, even with a good hit that takes out the heart/lungs.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    They're like mini Cape Buffaloes in their heartiness.

Peter Hathaway Capstick once shot a CB directly in the heart with a .375 H & H Magnum and it ran for 5 miles before finally collapsing.

gdr_11

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2014
    You guys may think I am crazy but I used to hunt pigs 40 years ago with a Marlin 1895 in .45-70. Used 300 gr Hornady HP with a max load of the old Hercules 2400. Never had anything keep running after a decent hit.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom