• ...and so much more!
  • leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    >

KIDNAPPED

Well, almost. . . . . .

Way back during the 1980 – 1981 Holiday Season, a colleague called me to go review an unusual CT brain exam for an inpatient in a small South Houston Hospital, off South Post Oak.

It was a decent Winter evening. I was in excellent physical condition, as I was “in-training” for the soon coming “Houston-Tenneco” Marathon, to be held a week or so later.

I consulted on the exam and departed.

Realizing that I had no beer at home, I stopped off at a 7-11 in the same parking as the hospital lot to pick up a 6-pack.

A very friendly Black fellow in a scrub shirt spoke with me in the store; I incorrectly assumed he was a worker from the hospital and wasn’t alarmed.

Then, he followed me out to my Jeep, and came to the still open door as I got in. He asked for a “ride”, so I asked him which direction. Then I said “sorry, I’m going the opposite way.”

He then pointed his jacket pocket at me, as though aiming a pistol. I had to think quickly, and decided to crank the Jeep. Thank GOD it started immediately. I popped my clutch, in reverse. The sudden movement drove the metal wire frame door into his body, almost knocking him down, and bending my door.

I then shifted quickly and sped off. He was thrown back by the impact and couldn’t pursue.

Next morning, my Doc Buddy called to tell me that the neighborhood gun shop owner, an ex Special Forces guy with one hand, called “Hook”, had caught a robber in the 7-11 and held him for the police.

Seems the genius tried to rob Hook while checking out at the register. Hook put his hook through the guy’s belt and came out with a cocked Browning Hi-Power. The Clerk later told me that the BG had a little 9mm circle pressed into this forehead where Hook had held the muzzle.

A visit with Hook informed me that the BG was going to a court hearing and Hook was to be the witness. Said I didn’t need to go.

When the Judge saw BG’s record, he had been out of Huntsville only 3 days, on parole for similar violent crimes. According to Hook, the Judge just told BG, “You haven’t learned. There will be no trial, no further proceeding; I am permanently revoking all parole & probation. You’ll be a very old man if you get out again!”

When I learned all that, I realized how great danger I had been in. And, all of my guns were at home because I wanted to be “legal”.

I spoke to two different career Houston Police Officers I knew, different divisions. Both told me the identical same thing: “Carry your gun when you are out. No legitimate person will never be charged for carrying here." Keep in mind that this was some 13 or 14 years before Texas had CHL’s.

The Harris D A back then was John Holmes, whom I didn’t know; but the U S Attorney was my old lawyer, J A “Tony Canales”. I spoke with prosecutors from both offices and was told the exact same thing.

So, I went back to Hook’s and bought two carry guns, a PPKS and a J-Frame, and carried until CHL’s became available, with zero incident. I even told a couple LEO friends that I was carrying, they just ignored it.

Yes, I do know the laws and I don’t violate them lightly. But, I also believe the “old saw” about preferring to visit the Judge rather than the Undertaker.

In later years, I have been called to teach Decision Making to folks who frequently must chose from a bunch of “not good” options for themselves, and on behalf of others.

So, you make your decisions and I’ll make mine. At least I hope that the brighter folks on here now understand better why some of us insist on carrying weapons..

leVieux
    Hurley's Gold

Top Bottom