Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Hi Folks,

This is the Renovo Trio.

renovo2.jpg

I used to drink reservoir water when I was a teenager, but I'm older and, I like to think, wiser, so I bought the Trio.

I chose it over the Lifestraw or Sawyer Mini (which is the one to beat) because the Trio filters down to 0.05 microns and removes heavy metals as well as cysts, bacteria, and some viruses.

The Sawyer Mini is rated at 0.1 micron and the Lifestraw, at 0.2 microns. Both are single stage units.

The Trio uses three stages: A 5 micron first stage (coffee filters only do 50 microns at best), a 0.05 micron second stage, and an activated charcoal third stage.

All three stages are replaceable.

The cost is only about $33. That's a bit more than the Sawyer Mini, but you do get 4x more filtration with the Trio.

I carry military canteens, both 1qt and 2qt, and the Trio is a backup to those. I do carry iodine capsules in the pockets of the canteen covers but iodine only works on a relatively few nasties. Chlorine tabs work about as well, and chlorine dioxide works slightly better. Still, it's not all that great.

If I ever have to use this thing for any length of time, say, camping with a questionable water supply, the water will be treated in three stages: First, filtered. Second, boiled. Third, iodized. I'm really contemplating replacing my iodine tablets with chlorine dioxide for a number of reasons.

This filter should work plenty well, but if I have the time, I might as well use all methods available.

Josh

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Your filtering smaller than tap water at this point. How many water borne viruses are there?

How many gallons can it filter before replacement parts are needed?

That's where the sawyer shines.

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Your filtering smaller than tap water at this point. How many water borne viruses are there?

How many gallons can it filter before replacement parts are needed?

That's where the sawyer shines.

This one has three stages. The Sawyer is one stage.

The Renovo has a pre-filter that filters at 5 microns. Life is dependent upon how much silt etc is in the water. If you filter it through a T-shirt, it should last quite a while. It's very easily replaceable and the unit comes with four or five of them.

Next is the UF filter that does 0.05 microns. This is the very same technology as the Sawyer, but a bit finer filtration. Like the Sawyer, this can be backflushed and lifetime is indefinite. It's mechanical filtration and this is why the Sawyer and this Renovo stage last so long.

The Renovo has a third and final stage of charcoal. This reduces heavy metals and some organic chemicals. This is important to me. I also improves taste, which is a bonus. (I think iodine-treated water tastes good even without vitamin C.)

This last stage is what you have to replace after 260 gallons or so. If you don't replace it, the other two stages keep working. The replacement charcoal filter is $10.

In other words, the Renovo Trio is like straining water through a very fine coffee filter, then running it through a Sawyer, and finally running it through a Brita filter.

If you don't care about the charcoal stage, you don't have to replace it, and it will also function without the pre-filter. Just expect it to clog faster without pre-filtering (just like you'd expect with the Sawyer).

The Sawyer would win my vote for being inline with a Camelback, say, due to the hookups, or maybe for a more permanent setup like a gravity feed where I can filter through a separate charcoal filter.

For general use, though, the Trio gets the nod.

I like to wade in rivers fishing for bass. Carrying tackle, a rod, a 1911 (big catfish up here! :P) reloads for the 1911 is plenty. A gallon of water weighs about 8lbs. Therefore, a quart canteen of water weighs 2lbs plus the weight of the canteen, and a 2qt military canteen (which I prefer because it collapses and can be carried on a shoulder sling) is 4lbs I don't need.

Drinking from the river is preferable to me, and for that I want all stages of filtration in one unit.

The Sawyer unit seems to be good. I don't deny that, and I plan to pick up a couple. For my primary uses at this point in time, though, it's the Renovo Trio that gets the nod.

Regards,

Josh

P.S. If it matters to you, the Sawyer, from what I've found, is made in Korea. I do believe the Trio is made in the US. If I find differently I'll correct this. J.S.

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Hi Folks,

I have some bad news nine months later.

The unit cracked:

trio2.jpg

The first time I attached the Renovo to a soda bottle, the micro-filtration filter body cracked. It was finger-tight only, and should not have done this. On the plus side, the filter did immediately shut down. While it sprayed water through the crack, it did not let me drink any, so that part worked.

Please keep in mind, folks, that the Renovo unit saw no actual field use, but rather was used to filter water under controlled conditions in my home. I did this prior to ordering a new unit for field use as I test everything I use during hikes and while fishing and hunting.

Upon contacting the company, I received no answer. Trying again, I did receive a response to the effect that the unit is warrantied and the company requested pictures. I received an email later telling me that the crack was normal wear the unit would not be warrantied.

I will be exploring other options as this sample is simply not tough enough for me. Sawyer and LifeStraw are both on my list as of now.

I would still prefer to find a straw with a charcoal filter for chemicals and taste, but the 0.05 microns isn't absolutely essential for my uses, so that expands the field some.

Regards,

Josh

Flewda

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 5, 2012
    Ohio (But my heart is in Texas)
    That's a major bummer. I wish more companies would stand behind their products--especially when it comes to survival products when a failure could be the difference between life and death. Thanks for the update.

cncfan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2015
    Houston
    If that is normal wear that company should move to Yugoslavia and start making Yugo's. If I were you I would post that response on every outdoor/survival forum you could find.
    I would not buy it just from the response you received.

Josh Smith

Smith-Sights LLC
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Wabash IN
    Know what I find interesting? This:

Survivor Filter - LIFETIME WARRANTY The bloody thing appears to be the exact same unit as the Renovo, just rebadged. Less expensive and has a lifetime warranty.

I don't trust the design now, or I'd order this one.

I do think I'll look at the Sawyer. My concern about them is whether they've lowered quality to sell at Walmart.

Regards,

Josh

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Not sticking up for Walmart, but some companies take a bigger loss on products to try to get volume sales. I have been meaning to get one and try it out.

Top Bottom