• ...and so much more!
  • TXARGUY

Famous Among Dozens
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 31, 2012
    Wildcat Thicket, Texas
    NOTE: Those of you currently on my email list will have already gotten this but for those who are not I provide it here (if you want to be included in my email list just PM me your email address. I do not spam or share the list with anyone. It's just one of the tools I use to share information).

As we approach this 4th of July celebration of our nation's independence please take a moment to read this dedication to one of the great men who laid down his life to insure that independence continues today. Freedom and liberty are not free. It is paid for daily by the blood of great men like Master Sergeant Bob Horrigan. - Philip B.

y7u4a2ag.jpg

MSG Robert (Bob) Horrigan

President Theodore Roosevelt once said that the credit in life belongs to the man in the arena whose face is marred with sweat and dust and blood. It belongs to the man who strives valiantly, who knows great enthusiasms, great devotions, and spends himself daring greatly in a worthy cause so that he will know the triumph of high achievement; and whose place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat. Master Sergeant Robert Horrigan was exactly such a man.

On June 17th, the anniversary of America's historic battle at Bunker Hill, Robert Horrigan - or Bob as he was called by those who knew and loved him well, was killed during his fifth and final tour to Iraq.

Bob represented the very best of the best. He was a husband, father, brother, uncle and friend - but most of all he was a patriot who defended our great nation abroad so it should fear no assault at home.

Bob was an avid outdoorsman who loved turkey hunting, deer hunting, and fishing. He was an aspiring bladesman whose knives are cherished around the world. Bob was in pursuit of his Master Bladesmith status when his country called him once more to war.

He served valiantly in his tour, taking the fight to the enemy and as only Bob could, lightening the load of those around him via his quick wit, disarming charm, and trademarked sense of humor.

With only a few weeks left in Iraq and the beginning of his civilian life just around the corner, Bob embarked upon a mission that would sadly serve to be his last.

When a soldier so gallantly lays down his life in defense of this country, it is referred to as the ultimate sacrifice, but such a sacrifice is never singularly borne. It is added to and deepened by those who that brave soldier left behind.

Bob Horrigan is survived by a wife, a daughter, a mother, a sister, a twin brother, a younger brother, five nephews, eight nieces and an enormous number of friends - all of whom miss him dearly on a daily basis.

Bob defended this great nation so that all Americans - most of whom he would never know, could continue to enjoy their inalienable rights to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.

Please take a moment and read the following curriculum vitae so that when you and your family lay your heads down tonight, you may say a silent prayer of thanks for a man who gave everything so that this nation, our nation, could truly remain the land of the free.

Born January 13, 1965 in Limestone, Maine, Bob enlisted in the United States Army upon graduation from high school in 1984 and served in the 3rd Battalion 75th Ranger Regiment at Ft. Benning, GA. In 1991, he was assigned to the 1st Battalion 7th Special Forces Group and concluded an illustrious military career marked by bravery and selfless devotion to his country with the United States Army Special Operations Command.

Bob was never about ribbons and medals - he was about the soldier standing right next to him, but be that as it may, men like Robert Horrigan do not escape distinction easily. Bob's decorations include:

The Bronze Star Medal with Valor Device and oak leaf cluster
    The Defense Meritorious Service Medal
    The Meritorious Service Medal
    The Joint Service Commendation Medal
    The Army Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
    The 6th Award of the Army Good Conduct Medal
    The National Defense Service Medal with bronze service star
    The Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
    The Afghanistan Campaign Medal
    The Iraq Campaign Medal
    The Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary and Campaign Medals
    The Humanitarian Service Medals
    The NATO Medal
    The Ranger Tab
    The Special Forces Tab
    The Combat Infantry Badge
    The Expert Infantry Badge
    Military Freefall Jumpmaster Badge
    The Master Parachutist Badge
    The Combat Diver's Badge
    Posthumously, Bob was awarded The Legion of Merit, The Bronze Star Medal with Valor Device, and The Purple Heart.

- Mark Larue

I did not have the honor of getting to know Bob personally but I have a lot of friends who did. He was a good friend to, and was loved by many. He will be missed.

- Philip B.

vymadena.jpg

y7u6ahaz.jpg

ve5ysu8y.jpg
    Texas SOT

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I am fortunate to have read this OP on July 4th. I means a lot. I have "Old Glory" flying in the front of the house.

Thanks!

Flash

Top Bottom