• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Moly coated bullets have lost alot of ground in popularity. Coating the bore seems to be the way to go, but I have never used any moly anything.

I use moly grease in the actions of almost all my guns. We use it quite a bit at work, too. Great stuff, moly. Coating your barrel with it will cut friction (not good for a lot of velocity, but good for some) which will helps reduce barrel wear and really reduces fouling.

Well, there's nothing out there that shoots better than they do, so there's some degree of proof behind the talk. I think the 1000 yard record is just over 1/4 MOA, which was a 4.4" group.

Yes, they do, but they can really go overboard with things like over-cleaning and "barrel break-in" that serve no positive purpose.
    Guns International

codygjohnson

Eats breakfast everyday
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    Flower Mound
    What kind of rifle is it big? (Just curious)

I'd like to know as well. I know it’s going to sound odd, but most of the the long range/match community will back me up with this, your problem might be too clean of a bore. In my precision rifles, there is a noticeable velocity and accuracy increase after 15-20 rounds. My best groups are from 20-100 rounds down the tube. In fact, I don't clean between trips to the range. Now, keep in mind I shoot about once a week. If I go more than a couple weeks, I might remove powder residue/carbon fouling, but I don't do any copper removal until my groups begin to open up. For most people, the first shot down the barrel is the most important one. So why would I want to change the condition of the bore if the rifle is hitting where the scope says it should? I like to know that the next shot I fire, is going to hit the same place as the last one.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    It is a Ted Williams model 53 30-06 so it is a post 64 Winchester model 70. after a range trip yesterday it got fed 43 rounds yesterday and it just bothers me to see copper in the barrel at the muzzle tho. My friend was with me and he maneged to shoot a 1" or so with it one time other than that it was shooting an inch and a half again after two days worth of fouling removal. LOL! I think I'm just going to finish getting the powder residue out of it and leave the rest of the copper in the barrel for now because the rifle is shooting 1-1/2" at 100 yards right now so that is all I need. I didn't have to adjust the scope at all after changing the bases either. LOL I was very surprised.

Top Bottom