• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Yeah I know, I'm weird.

I'm planning on putting a carburetor on my TBI Yukon. All I need is a new intake manifold, an HEI distributor, a carburetor of course, and probably an new transmission. I haven't checked yet, but I'm more than fairly certain the transmission is a 4L60E.

I want to get as much of this stuff as possible on the cheap. Where are some good junkyards to get stuff from. I'm in the Seguin area (I need to update my location.)

The main thing I'm looking for from the junkyard is transmission.
    Target Sports

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Why would you want a carb? Its gonna cost you alot of money and problems. How do you plan on getting around the PCM/TCM issues?

shooterfpga

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Conroe, TX
    what you wanna do is keep the fi and stop the pcm from doing a lot of the fuel trimming and sensors. theres jumpers you can buy from radioshack to trick your pcm into thinking the sensors are still there.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Vash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Why would you want a carb? Its gonna cost you alot of money and problems. How do you plan on getting around the PCM/TCM issues?

I want a carb because I plan on experimenting with lots of crazy fuels and whatnot, and not having to dick around with the programming every time I make a change will be worth it. Told you I was weird.

I'll won't need a TCM because I'm going to switch the 4L60E tranny for a 700R4/4L60. Same tranny only the 700R4 isn't computer controlled.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    If memory serves, that's not a TBI truck, but a multiport Vortec.

There are manifolds out there. You're going to need a low pressure fuel pump, since a carb runs about 7 psi and your current pump is regulated down to 55.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced you should just go looking for an older truck that's already carbureted.

Make sure whatever you try burning as fuel is compatible with the seals and hoses in your fuel system.

Vash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    we got an edelbrock 750cfm carb dad will probably sell ya, let me ask him

I'd hold off. This project kinda got bumped down the list. I've got a slow oil leak I need to get taken care of, and I need to get he front end looked at. The front driver's side is knocking and groaning. I don't know how to describe it, but when i start or stop, it seems... sluggish? It's like its the last part of the car to realize it's moving forward. Its a bit unnerving, guess I should make a thread about it.

Vash

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 25, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    If memory serves, that's not a TBI truck, but a multiport Vortec.

There are manifolds out there. You're going to need a low pressure fuel pump, since a carb runs about 7 psi and your current pump is regulated down to 55.

Honestly, the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced you should just go looking for an older truck that's already carbureted.

Make sure whatever you try burning as fuel is compatible with the seals and hoses in your fuel system.

I was going to use the current pump and get a pressure regulator with a return line. I forgot to mention that in my original post.

As far as fuels, my main experiment is going to be plasma reformation of sugar water, yielding synthesis gas
    (carbon monoxide and hydrogen.) I don't really plan on doing anything involving polymer dissolving solvents like acetone or alcohols.

Top Bottom