• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Just for curiosity. has anyone ever seen one of these? Made in 1904.
    P1010024a.jpg
    P1010026a.jpg
    P1010030a.jpg
    P1010031a.jpg
    Gun Zone Deals

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Yes! it is an 1877 DA Colt, It was custom altered By Colt in 1904. Colt marks their factory alterations of those models by the "Star" and the "&" stamp on the right rear of the trigger guard bow. The Star alone signifies that the piece was refinished at the Hartford Plant. The ampersand ("&") signifies a physical design alteration. Also marked on the in side of the grip frame where the alteration was done. The grips are then changed to fit the frame. In the SAA style. I had to get it but I have not lettered it yet.
    The 1877 DA revolvers were a real "work" of frustration. But all THREE Models are getting to be collectable when you can find them that actually work....
    John

Leadeye

Dec 29, 2020
    Great Southern Forest of Indiana
    Thanks! I had no idea that Colt did that sort of work. I've seen a few that were done by gunsmiths past but never with that degree of quality. I shoot my 1877s off and on, 3F BP behind hollow base pure lead bullets. While complex and cranky to keep going I can see why they were popular particularily in 41 Colt. It was a light, fast handling gun with a punch.

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Thanks! I had no idea that Colt did that sort of work. I've seen a few that were done by gunsmiths past but never with that degree of quality. I shoot my 1877s off and on, 3F BP behind hollow base pure lead bullets. While complex and cranky to keep going I can see why they were popular particularily in 41 Colt. It was a light, fast handling gun with a punch.
    That is why they are called "Lightnings" Colt's first attempt at a DA Revolver. Probably the worst designed DA in history. They made bunches of them and went out of production in 1909 and no more spare parts were made too. More often than not when you find one at a show or for sale they do not function as designed.
    Most gunsmiths won't mess with them because there isn't enough cuss words! I get them sent to me to fix from Texas to New Hampshire but I do not advertise it!
    But all THREE models are getting difficult and expensive to find a nice one. I used to have a five gallon bucket full....
    You can spend a lifetime collecting the 1877 in all of the variations. (3 calibers, finishes, grips and engraving styles and rare factory modifications} even ones ordered for specific Corporations and railroads and Police departments. Like American Express and Wells Fargo. Not to mention ones owned by famous people.
    John

Leadeye

Dec 29, 2020
    Great Southern Forest of Indiana
    I've done some limited work on the ones I have, Jack's First has been a good source of parts for me on them and a variety of other guns. I've never seen a 32 Rainmaker though.

Shooting these guns is fun, I like the 38s as you can easily use Hornady HBWC bullets with BP for an easy to make cartridge. I've never had good luck with heeled stuff.

Attachments

• lightning test 1.jpg
      lightning test 1.jpg
      354.7 KB · Views: 83
    Last edited:

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I've done some limited work on the ones I have, Jack's First has been a good source of parts for me on them and a variety of other guns. I've never seen a 32 Rainmaker though.

Shooting these guns is fun, I like the 38s as you can easily use Hornady HBWC bullets with BP for an easy to make cartridge. I've never had good luck with heeled stuff.
    The sear mechanism is by fa the hardest part to find and fit. I deal with Jack too. I have a number of original sears in original Colt Hartford envelopes.
    I am in the process of negotiating a Rainmaker but I think $17K is a bit steep. Out side of Patterson's, Original Walkers and Pinch Frame SAAs The Rainmaker1877 is the rarest production model Colt! And getting more expensive by the minute.

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    The 1877 Colt DA was quite popular although fragile. They made thousands of them from 1877 thru 1909. Numerous police and security agencies bout many. American Express, Adam's & Company and Train Companies too. The .38 Colt is the most common and many varieties known as "The Lightning" The .41 Colt had a little more bark but was actually identical to the .38 just a larger caliber known as "The "Thunderer" But the really RARE model is the .32 Colt Known as "The Rainmaker" plan on dropping several thousand for a Rainmaker! I do not have one YET but I AM looking. I have around 20 different of the other models variations.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    I well remember seeing a couple of those back when I was finishing up high school in Big Bear Lake, CA. I don't remember who owned them but am certain they were contemporaries of Jeff Cooper, who was my History teacher for a short while.

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    I well remember seeing a couple of those back when I was finishing up high school in Big Bear Lake, CA. I don't remember who owned them but am certain they were contemporaries of Jeff Cooper, who was my History teacher for a short while.
    A couple Rain Makers? I only know of one that may be available. I have an offer in on that one.
    As far as Lightnings and Thunderers, I started collecting them when Nobody wanted them back in the 60's. They were everywhere. Go to a gun show and if you showed any interest in them they ended up in your back pocket. Most didn't work and nobody wanted to work on broken ones. At one time I had a couple five gallon buckets of broken ones. I still have several cigar boxes of parts.

glenbo

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Sep 3, 2014
    San Leon
    Sorry that I wasn't clear. The ones i saw were exactly like the photo in your original post, and this would have been in 1969.

Mad John

Jan 15, 2019
    Rural Illinois
    Sorry that I wasn't clear. The ones i saw were exactly like the photo in your original post, and this would have been in 1969.
    Be careful when looking for a Square Butt 1877. Look for Colt's factory alteration markings. Get it authenticated by Colt or Colt Collectors Association experts. I have seen several that looked good until the grips were removed and the alteration was not Colt quality.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom