Guns International

A couple years ago our laboratory was tasked with determining the optimal place to measure wind.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DocBeech

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2023
    Paradise
    One of the things we were lucky enough to do in our lab with our team was the DARPA one shot program. The task of the program was to develop a laser range finder that would average the wind between the shooter and the target. Today, while I cannot share the device, we can now do this with a weapon mounted LRF likely smaller than you are picturing in your head. As a part of that program we also did a study on where the wind measurements matter the most. Here is one of the research articles produced from our study: https://appliedballisticsllc.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/Where-does-wind-matter.pdf

Here is a picture of the first device:
    1703780283332.png

Here is the public record picture of the next iteration from that:
    1703780304571.png

Then we got it this small:
    1703780484389.png

I cannot share anything not in the public domain so I have to stop there. But you get the idea, and I hope the article helps you.
    Military Camp

Lead Belly

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 25, 2022
    Lake Conroe
    Fascinating write-up. Thank you for sharing. I guess the old 'wet your finger method and hold it up' was a sage practice.

I bet this wind calculation technology will also make it's way to Boston Dynamics or the drone makers for implementation in next-gen autonomous fighters.

Top Bottom