Guns International

9mm with 16inch barrel length legalities.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TX oddball

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2021
    DFW
    Maybe I'm behind the times, but 16" barrels are the minimum length for a legal, non-NFA rifle (exception:14" with pinned muzzle device), 9mm or otherwise. My 9mm PCCs have much shorter barrels, no problem with me owning those.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    Are you asking about the pistol point system thingie??

Would a firearm with a barrel over 16” be under the “control” of the new point system? My understanding is that it would not since it meets the definition of a rifle, therefore it could have the evil features. I will admit I’m not too familiar with the whole pistol AR rules though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    Maybe I'm behind the times, but 16" barrels are the minimum length for a legal, non-NFA rifle (exception:14" with pinned muzzle device), 9mm or otherwise. My 9mm PCCs have much shorter barrels, no problem with me owning those.
    I'm assuming you have a braced pistol. Since its a pistol the barrel length can be under 16 inches.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

raprap113

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2021
    San Antonio
    What “new rules”?

At least a 16” barrel is required for a stocked rifle.
    i keep seeing this damn atf brace ban things on youtube. cuz i realllllly do want to build me some AR9. The braces are scaring me a bit. I aint very familiar with everything. I did just finished my first ar15 223 wylde which is my first gun.

raprap113

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2021
    San Antonio
    So whats the rule for an AR9? barrel under 16 inch and no stocks right? thing is the brace that they sell look like real stocks so that gets me confused. very new to this so take it easy on me.

raprap113

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2021
    San Antonio
    Sounds like you are looking for a problem that isn't there. Rifles have 16" or longer barrels. Pistols have less. And as stated above, caliber has nothing to do with it.
    OOOH I get it now!. also would these be legal?
    Untitled.png

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    First, what is a 4" 9mm 6"? I don't see anything "illegal" about them. If they haven't been assembled for anything (as a rifle), it "appears" they can be used to make a pistol.

By the way, any advice given on a forum is worth just what it costs!
    Check with your local ATF folks!

Last edited:

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    OOOH I get it now!. also would these be legal? View attachment 290217

Let’s back up a bit. As far as I know the whole factoring criteria is still just a proposal.

Second, the basic criteria for rifle vs pistol is more than just barrel length. There’s overall length as well as vertical foregrip presence that defines pistol va rifle.

To be a pistol, a firearm must have a barrel less than 16”, have an overall length leas than 26”, and not have a vertical foregrip.

It would be worth your time to learn from what parts of the firearm ATF conducts their measurements.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Handguns do not have BBL lengths. Their primary criteria is short stock and designed to be fired with a single hand:

(29)The term “handgun” means—
    (A) a firearm which has a short stock and is designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand; and
    (B)any combination of parts from which a firearm described in subparagraph (A) can be assembled.

Rifles also do not have barrel lengths. Their primary criteria is fired from shoulder:

(7) The term “rifle” means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire only a single projectile through a rifled bore for each single pull of the trigger.

And now we come to NFA. They do have a BBL length specification:

(8) The term “short-barreled rifle” means a rifle having one or more barrels less than sixteen inches in length and any weapon made from a rifle (whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise) if such weapon, as modified, has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

So "single hand" is why a handgun cannot have a Vertical Grip. Then it is designed for two hands.

raprap113

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2021
    San Antonio
    Let’s back up a bit. As far as I know the whole factoring criteria is still just a proposal.

Second, the basic criteria for rifle vs pistol is more than just barrel length. There’s overall length as well as vertical foregrip presence that defines pistol va rifle.

To be a pistol, a firearm must have a barrel less than 16”, have an overall length leas than 26”, and not have a vertical foregrip.

It would be worth your time to learn from what parts of the firearm ATF conducts their measurements.
    I have but I need opinions of citizens whos probably own one.

Top Bottom