• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I just got some 9mm 115 grain FMJ (RN) and I have a ton of brass to load up. Only problem is I can’t find any load data for either of the powders I have! I have Win231 and some Unique. I looked in the Lee book and on the Winchester powder site and the Alliance powder site. They have load data for lead and hollow points, and some Speer rounds, but not plain old 115 grain jacketed bullets. Anyone have any advice? Can I use the data for hollow point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Lynx Defense

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    I am loading the 115 gr RN FMJ bullet I get from Berrys Bullets with 6.5 grains of HS-6. Meters consistently, Easy recoil, low smoke, no flash, accurate...what’s not to like. This mirrors what you will see in Hodgdon online data book pretty closely.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Do I just go by the Speer hollow point numbers?

Win231/115gr LRN data from that page. Am I missing something?

5cfb5ce4c4018096f46adb5a838b6f6f.png

Attachments

• 5cfb5ce4c4018096f46adb5a838b6f6f.png
      5cfb5ce4c4018096f46adb5a838b6f6f.png
      83.2 KB · Views: 675

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    I would suggest you start at or near a mid point and load 25-50 rounds and see how they shoot. You might want to add or subtract to get something that works best for you.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Yeah, they’re fmj not lead (I guess they’re jacketed lead) I wasn’t sure if there would be a difference in loading. I mean 115 grain round nose is 115 grain round nose, but I don’t wanna assume and mess up my gun (or my hands).

Chips n Salsa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 4, 2017
    Plano
    I checked my notes, I shot 231 with the Precision 125 gr RN coated lead, 4.4 - 4.6 grains at 1.135 -1.150 OAL's...those cycled fine and I noted accurate. I second what Rusty Gun says about HS-6....it's great in 9mm if you can find it.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Yep,he's loading 115gr FMJ.

For FMJ or plated when there’s no data, I start at LRN min load and work up from there without exceeding max load. I’ve never found it to be a problem, even Berry’s suggest that on their website.

Do you have a different technique?

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I started reloading less than a month ago. I was just asking because I’ve been told over and over and over, to not stray from the numbers in the books or websites I figured that the numbers for LRN would be close if not exact to FMJ RN, but like I said, I thought asking was the best option.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    Hornady Manual
    Win 231 4.1-4.7 col 1.100
    I load 4.5 and works good for me.
    Buy some other manuals
    Lead and FMJ are not the same
    Berry's says to use lead values

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Win 231 is exactly the same stuff as Hodgdon's HP-38. (Hodgdon owns Winchester powders.) So if you see a load for HP-38, you can use it for W231.

You can't always find loads for your exact bullets. Generally, use the closest bullet weight. Jacketed bullets have slightly heavier loads (usually) than plated, coated, or cast bullets, so match the type as well. For a plated bullet, use the load data for a cast bullet of the same weight.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I started reloading less than a month ago. I was just asking because I’ve been told over and over and over, to not stray from the numbers in the books or websites I figured that the numbers for LRN would be close if not exact to FMJ RN, but like I said, I thought asking was the best option.

Good question to ask.

Here’s the blurb from Berry’s; it’s not the end-all/be all answer, but is an opinion from one bullet maker on their projectiles.

Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:

The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet.
    Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)
    Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.
    Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.
    Do not over-crimp the bullet. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy.
    Load data containing bullet descriptions such as Plated (P,) Berry's Bullet (BERB,) Total Metal Jacket (TMJ,) Copper Plated (CP,) or CPJ (Copper Plated Jacket,) refers to plated bullet data.

Cartridge Overall Lengths (COL) are found in the load data being used. DO NOT EXCEED SAAMI MAX COL SPECS.

https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq

lbbf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2017
    Lake Jackson
    Lyman's data for 115gr jacketed hollow points with Unique powder states:
    Starting load 4.4gr 996fps, to Max 5.8gr 1233fps.

Tcruse

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2011
    Corinth
    Hornady Manual
    Win 231 4.1-4.7 col 1.100
    I load 4.5 and works good for me.
    Buy some other manuals
    Lead and FMJ are not the same
    Berry's says to use lead values
    Win231 is HP38; this information agrees with my experience also.
    CFE Pistol 5.1g to 5.3g 115 FMJ is good also
    TiteGroup 4.2g 115 FMJ

Dermako

Insensitivity Trained
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 16, 2019
    DFW
    I checked my notes, I shot 231 with the Precision 125 gr RN coated lead, 4.4 - 4.6 grains at 1.135 -1.150 OAL's...those cycled fine and I noted accurate. I second what Rusty Gun says about HS-6....it's great in 9mm if you can find it.

Good question to ask.

Here’s the blurb from Berry’s; it’s not the end-all/be all answer, but is an opinion from one bullet maker on their projectiles.

Load data from any load manual or website can be used. Full-metal jacketed, lead bullet, or plated bullet load data can be used as long as the following standards are adhered to:

The data contains the correct grain weight of bullet.
    Berry's max recommended velocity is not exceeded. (This info is displayed on bullet boxes and product webpages.)
    Standard Plate Bullets Max Velocity: 1,250 fps.
    Thick-Plate Bullets (TP) Max Velocity: 1,500 fps.
    Do not over-crimp the bullet. Crimping so tight that bullet deformation occurs, or plating is separated causing visible exposure of the lead core will cause tumbling, key-holing, and reduced accuracy.
    Load data containing bullet descriptions such as Plated (P,) Berry's Bullet (BERB,) Total Metal Jacket (TMJ,) Copper Plated (CP,) or CPJ (Copper Plated Jacket,) refers to plated bullet data.

Cartridge Overall Lengths (COL) are found in the load data being used. DO NOT EXCEED SAAMI MAX COL SPECS.

https://www.berrysmfg.com/faq

For the new reloader, the Berry’s bullet data reference sheet is a bible verse. Worthy of printing and putting a copy in your “Go To” cookbook and or reloading manuals.

Top Bottom