• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I used to shoot a little lead as well as some power coated. Almost exclusively in 125gr. At the same time I was loading 124gr plated bullets that were roughly 3 CPR more. I never did care to load 115gr bullets and I think non reloaders just "settle" for 115 gr ammo since it's the most common. The additional powder is still less than the heavier bullet cost but after running 124s I'll probably never go lighter.

Lately I've been enjoying 135 gr plated bullets by xtreme. They're sized .356 and have been delightfully accurate. I like that they'll load well in the 38 super too. I also have a couple thousand 147 gr bullets sitting around. I don't mind the heavier bullets but the 135s remain subsonic even approaching the top of the loading spectrum. Otherwise the 147s feel a bit "sluggish" when I run them.

I've also considered "hybrid" bullets(plated hp) or Montana gold hps. Overall I'd love to have a one size fits all bullet. I can't really complain about the xtreme 135s but it would be great if they were available as hollow points.

Anyhow, have any of y'all found the one bullet to rule them all yet ? If so what is it?
    Capitol Armory ad

Rusty Gun

brass picker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Gulf coast
    I run mostly 115 gn. tried heavier Bullets but. Went back to 115 gn. I get most of mine from Rocky Mountain reloading. https://www.rmrbullets.com/shop/bul...rmr-full-metal-jacket-round-nose-bullets-new/

Costs are in line with pre panic prices and I have enjoyed excellent results. RMR has excellent service and keeps you informed about shipping dates.
    I recently loaded my first batch of 115gn polymer coated Bullets from Blue Bullets. The first 100 shot accurately and met all of my expectations.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I usually prefer heavy for caliber bullets but also like them as cheap as possible. For 9mm I like 147gr but have loaded all weights since I have found good deals over the years.

Plated or Laser/ hardcast were my go to bullets but I may move to powder coated on my next purchase. It's gonna be a while though. I'll let the market cool down as I don't need any right now.

I don't cast and don't plan to so it's always commercial options for me.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    115gn is often more accurate.
    Jacketed: prefer JHP. Lead: prefer swc. Plated: prefer to save my money.
    Heavier bullets: less energy, more momentum.
    Please, if you reference a load as accurate, explain. <2" at 50 yds. <2" at 25 yds. <6" at 50 ft. They all stay on paper at 12 ft. What do you mean by accurate?

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    115gn is often more accurate.
    Jacketed: prefer JHP. Lead: prefer swc. Plated: prefer to save my money.
    Heavier bullets: less energy, more momentum.
    Please, if you reference a load as accurate, explain. <2" at 50 yds. <2" at 25 yds. <6" at 50 ft. They all stay on paper at 12 ft. What do you mean by accurate?

Unfortunately I don't have a pcc or magnified optics but shooting off the top of a bag at 15-20 yards the 135s will shoot about a 2" group. The 115s were always 3-4 for me. The 124gr plated closer to 2.5. I should put a scope on my GF's Ruger pc9 and try to shoot 50 and 100 yard groups with them versus some factory loads. It would be nice to have some relevant quantifiable data.

I have also discovered over the years that confidence in what I shoot has an influence on how well it performs on paper. No good rhyme or reason for that but a factor all the same.

noylj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2011
    arizona
    Note: when accuracy testing, you simply can NOT know what you are shooting, as your subconscious will almost always make your prejudices come true.

GP40X

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    League City, TX
    Note: when accuracy testing, you simply can NOT know what you are shooting, as your subconscious will almost always make your prejudices come true.
    I recently purchased a Girsan 1911 in 9mm. When I took it to the range for test firing and break in, I found that that particular pistol does not like 115 grain at all. I took multiple brands in both 115 & 124 grain, Using Sellier anr Bellot Oil Proof 115 grain, the gun shot low and to the left and would not shoot a group (was more like a pattern) whjcih is a shame because this used ot be mu SHTF ammo since it eas well sealed. I bought this stuff for $3.00 a box from Cheaper Than Dirt when the actually were (the really old days when they were a two person shop off of Mark IV Parkway in North Fort Worth). Winchester White Box 115 grain I bought from Walmart many moons ago was also low and to the left but was somewhat more accurate. Then I went to PMC 124 grain (older white box) and the gun came into it's own. Hitting dead to the point of aim. I also shot some newer PMC Bronze and it also shot to point of aim. My Winchester Ranger 124 grain NATO ammo also shot to point of aim. I did not have any 147 grain to shoot. Will test with Federal American Eagle and 124 grain and what ever 147 grain I am able to find next.

sparkyv

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 10, 2020
    Deepinnaheartta, Texas
    You and I are of the same mind, TexMex247. I prefer go load up mid-range coated bullets, 122 to 125gr for most of my range time. But for best accuracy, my 9s prefer that XTreme 135gr bullet which if I recall correctly, was designed for 38 Super.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    As far as 9mil bullets go I load luger 90-124gr, but sig I go heavier. My preference only due to 100 yard fault no fault test. Flat trajectory as possible and time till impact.

avvidclif

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    My carry ammo is is factory SD JHP. My practice ammo is all reloads using swagged lead poly coated bullets from Precision Bullets . Simple reason, practice loads are just that, light loads that you can shoot all day in comfort. They are cheaper and that allows more practice. A lead bullet, a copper plated, and a FMJ will all penetrate paper just fine.

I went thru the barn-burner stage of reloading in the 70's, no more. This applies to pistol only, rifles are loaded for accuracy which could be light or heavy. YMMV

Top Bottom