• ...and so much more!
  • outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Hello,

I have a 97 F150 XL (No power windows etc) listed in the title that we have owned since new. The truck has about 77k + miles on it and other wise is in good shape. (never been wrecked) I have been looking around to find a engine replacement for it but all the options have not been cost feasible. The truck has new front calipers/brakes, master cylinder, alt, Battery, A/C works great and was recently serviced, Michelin LTX tires with 20k on them, water pump, and spark plugs. Does anyone know of a place I can get a good engine new or used (low miles) for less than $1500 in the Houston area? If not what would the value be if I was to sell the truck? I know I can donate it and write off the value on our taxes. I can't part the truck out to try to reclaim some of what we have invested due to the HOA. I think they would frown on it. I am just irritated that the engine gave out without any warning.

Thanks,
    Bill
    Guns International

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    1500 for a used diesel motor is not likely to happen. Try LKQ/Greenleaf
    It is a 4.2l V6 gas motor. I have tried looking up trucks on craigslist and other locations. It is too old for a donor truck since most of them are wore out and a replacement motor from Jasper runs around 3k with the install kit plus shipping. The blue book on the truck in pristine shape is around $2500 - 3100 for a Lariat and this one is an XL bottom of the line with no power windows/locks and bench seat. It is a extra cab if that mean anything.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Sure bud let us know how it turns out. They require some parts replacement for the used motor to be warrantiable though.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Dcav I am looking at their remanufactured engines. They offered the engine to me at almost 1400 cheaper than Jasper for a rebuilt motor with 3 year warranty. I'll let you know how it turns out. Thanks again

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Every replacement engine I've ever been involved with has the actual motor costing X and the "might as well while I'm here" doubled that.

Belts and hoses and sensors and wires and plugs and seals and paint and on and on and on ... it adds up quick.

So you have a $2500 repair on a $2500 truck ... no way you could replace it for $2500.

If your rig is still solid and has no issues elsewhere, its a no-brainer ... fix it and drive it.

It will always be worth a couple grand ...

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Keep it going. Mine, 98 model 4.2 l, has 180k and is still reliable. Tie rod ends and ball joints pretty much sum up the repairs done in the last 5 years.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    AHHHHH, my favorite maker of fine automobiles: Ford. Ive owned 8 Tbirds(82-92, v6-v8), 4 trucks(67-04, 150/250, 2dr/4dr), 2 Mustangs(67NB-68FB), Falcon(62 2dr), Capri(82), Galaxy (67), Fairlane(68). Ive had everything from 2.3 to 429-2V. Straight sixes to turbo 4 bangers. My hands have actually touched a real 429BOSS.(friend owned it). 390's, 351C, 400M,.....

Having said that, let me put it like this. Sorry my man....

The 4.2 is JUNK. It's the basturd child of the old 3.8. The later 4.2 has an intake snafu that will make the truck throw codes. It has to do with intake bolts letting oil into the intake air. The intake shifts due to being plastic. The repair kit runs about $50-250

The 4.2 use to be famous for hydro locking(which falls into the year you have). The head gaskets would leak coolant into the cylinders after the engine was shut off. Then when you tried to restart it. It was locked by the water. So youd have to pull the heads, dry the water, put it back to gether and wait for another 4.2 headache. However....It's not that common after they updated the head gaskets(which I doubt you have).

As for a spun bearing, I haven't heard much about the bearings going out. You can bite the bullet and put a crank kit in it. Install a 4.6. Or part the truck out.

I currently have a 4.2 in an 04 F150. About 115K. I'll drive it till it gos tittie up. Then never look back at the 4.2. The guttless wonder. Thank God theyre not made anymore.

outdare

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 24, 2009
    Cumby
    Thanks Revco, CMS is not in Houston but I got LKQ to price match. I am happy where this is ending up price wise. Thanks all.

Top Bottom