• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SureFire5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    san antonio
    Hey all, I'm sure this question has been asked before... I've got me an 870 express magnum... I want to put a short barrel and an extension tube on it... there are two dimples on the feed tube that will not allow the shell follower to pass through... Can I file down these dimps? And when I wanna put the long barrel back on, take the extension off it wont be an issuse?

or should I just buy a mossberg 590?

BTW.... Powderhorn has a 870 Mariner, used, for about $470... Pretty decent I thought.
    DK Firearms

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    They also make a swaging tool you can buy from places like Midway. It'll press the dimples out, and then your friends with 870s will come to you every time they want to add an extended magazine.

If you can find an older model like a Wingmaster, it won't have the dimples.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    ....and then the ATF comes to you and asks for your gunsmithin' license....<G> It's just so simple ta do with a file that I'd not bother with a special tool - an' I'm the first one ta want the "right tools" ta do a job!

SureFire5

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    san antonio
    Here's another question... I wolud like to hava a dedicated short-barreled shotgun. I currently have a Bennelli super nova that I use to shoot bird, also have an 870 that I just picked up as a second bird gun to accomodate a guest on a shoot. I WANT to pick up a Mossberg 590 as the dedicated shorty... Wouldn't it be SMARTER instead of picking up the 590, get another 870? That way I can swap parts if ever necessary? I'm thinking bout selling the Bennelli in order to make this happen. Ultimatly I'd end up with 3 870s... 2 for bird and one dedicated for HD... Thoughts?

The bennelli is cool and all, I like it, stock is just a bit too long when I shoulder it but before I go and have it cut, perhaps it would be better to shuffle the guns around. Otherwise I'd end up with three totally different shot guns: Bennelli, Remington and a Mossberg.

What do you think?

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Buy an AR. . . . . .

: )

But really? How often are you going to swap parts? All those guns are common and getting parts will be easy. I wouldn't sell a gun you liked.

Doesn't Remmington or someone sell a both barrels that are 18 and bird barrel. Buy one of each. One for birds, one for SD. Just keep the SD barrel on it untill you have a friend in need of a bird gun. Its really easy to switch barrels on my Winchester, I can't imagine it would be hard on the remmy.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I like the idea of a common gun just for ease of training. Only run one system, even if it's for three different things, and you become really good with it.

Top Bottom