• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jblosser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Thank you J for the awesome update. On my question, is there a specific time period in which they will readdress it?

Unfortunately no. The way the legislature works we get very little notice of things, 5 days at most. They are not required to ever bring it back and most bills die by just being ignored this way. It's up to the committee chair, Rep Pickett, so right now what's needed most is continual pressure on him to put it on the schedule to bring it back and get a vote on it. If we get that and get a positive committee vote on it, it then has to get scheduled for the full House, which is another place where one person has the power and many things die by being ignored.

fgarcia3441

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    SA (Sea World Area)
    Thanks JB, I saw the live feed yesterday and that was very good arguments in favor of all the gun bills.

Thank you for representing us.

Sent from my SGH-T879 using Tapatalk 2

Zekester

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Uvalde
    From Lavenders Office.....

Our hearing yesterday went very smoothly.

We had many passionate individuals along with the Texas State Rifle Association testify in favor.

Only one individual testified against and her testimony was incoherent at best.

Now the only thing we can do is wait for Rep. Pickett to bring it back up for a vote in committee.

Please make sure you send him your support for our bill!

Best regards,

Noah Gilliam
    Legislative Director
    Rep. George Lavender
    Texas House District 1
    noah.gilliam@house.state.tx.us

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    The full archive of the meeting (starting after the morning House session, which is where Campus Carry starts) is here: Texas House of Representatives : Video / Audio Player

Thanks for the vid link.

Worth noting, HB706 (a Campus Carry version) was introduced by my Rep. Capriglione. Anyone have comments or thoughts on that version?

ETA: Man, some ofthese people drone on and on. Good thing they limit 2-3min. I'm about 1hr20min in. So far it's sounds favorable for Campus Carry.

jblosser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Gio's Campus Carry is problematic in that it doesn't allow reciprocal permits. Obviously that affects college campuses directly, when you have students coming from out of state. They shouldn't need to pay for a Texas resident permit if they have one from home. His is better than some of the others on where all it applies, though. In the end, each of the Campus Carry bills has something the others don't. Hopefully the committee will give us a best-of bill.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    Shreveport LA
    Ok, I may be speaking out of school here but House Bill 700 shows to be enacted and will become an Act on September 01, 2013

83(R) HB 700 - Introduced version - Bill Text

So my question is did the Bill pass for this to become an Act?

I do have a comcealed permit and I do a lot of work in TX. Much of the time, I am carrying openly while I work. I hate to have to change mode of dress just to work a couple of hours across the border from my house but the people I have to deal with are such I am not going to confront unarmed.

preyn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2012
    Burnet
    If you haven't heard the latest and greatest "there will be blood running in the streets and old west shootouts when [fill in your state here] enacts open carry...", it hasn't been enacted.

jordanmills

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2009
    Pearland, TX
    Ok, I may be speaking out of school here but House Bill 700 shows to be enacted and will become an Act on September 01, 2013

83(R) HB 700 - Introduced version - Bill Text

So my question is did the Bill pass for this to become an Act?

I do have a comcealed permit and I do a lot of work in TX. Much of the time, I am carrying openly while I work. I hate to have to change mode of dress just to work a couple of hours across the border from my house but the people I have to deal with are such I am not going to confront unarmed.

That part isn't effective unless it passes the house and senate and gets signed/passed by the governor.

jblosser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2013
    Here's the great testimony Rachel from Texas Firearms Freedom gave on HB 700. She was down there again all day last Thursday testifying on 7 more gun bills. https://www.facebook.com/TexasFirearmsFreedom

Why I Support Open Carry
    March
    22 2013

This is the essence of testimony I brought before a House committee on at a hearing for HB 700.

A young boy was sitting next to me at lunch some time back. As we ate our turkey sandwiches, I engaged in a bit of table conversation….I asked if he was familiar with the 2nd amendment. Based on his response, I decided he needed a little bit of education! So I told him, as fast as I could.

I told him about April 18 – that evening 238 years ago when the colonists found out that the Redcoats were going to come after their stores of gunpowder.

I told him how Paul Revere and Samuel Prescott and William Dawes all rode and warned the people. I told him how they were captured, and got away by telling the truth.

I told him about the brave men – 70 men who stood on Lexington Green while the 800 British Regulars came under Colonel Smith and slaughtered them.

I told him how, 5 miles down the road, Isaac Davis came….how he led the charge down the hill, and bravely caused the redcoats to break and run after 2 minutes – although Isaac Davis ended up with a musket ball in his heart, and never saw his wife Hannah again.

I told him about the retreat down Battle Road – 17 miles or so – where Lord Percy came to bring reinforcements to the redcoats. I told him about General Heath and his brilliant Circle of Fire.

I told him how these men bled and died so we could have the government we have today. And I told him, that’s why we have the 2nd amendment. That’s what our founders were thinking of when they penned those words.

And I read it to him. “A well-regulated militia…” –and please understand, well-regulated in that time meant well-trained, or well-disciplined — in other words, self-regulated; it was certainly not referring to government regulations! – “A well-regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”

He looked up at me for a minute, and then he wanted to know, “Does it say concealed?”

And I said, “Well, you tell me! How does it read to you – ‘The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed’? He decided, “Nope! Doesn’t mean concealed!”

Then he asked, “Why don’t you do it?” And I told him I might get in trouble because there are some legislators at the capitol who have decided that under TX handgun law we have to conceal.

He suggested, “Well, write ‘em and tell ‘em about the 2nd amendment!” and I said, “Why don’t you?” And he did just that – because he understands the history and the meaning of the second amendment.

So, yes, we all grow up and think we know better than a 12-year-old, but really, this is a simple issue. Constitutionally we do have the right to open carry, and the people of Texas should be legally allowed to open carry.

But we politicize the issue, we dramatize it, we emotionalize it with various things. Let’s take that out! Let’s go back to what we read in the Texas Constitution and in the US constitution.

sliderleg-4-holsteredhandgun

Some people say it would make them “uncomfortable” to see firearms being worn openly. Well, what if it makes me uncomfortable to keep mine concealed?

They suggest that in our modern times people aren’t used to guns and can become disturbed by the sight. I suggest that, earlier in our nation’s history, people were quite comfortable with guns being around. In fact, guns used to be seen positively, and I believe that can happen again. Open carry will be a great step toward effecting a positive outlook on guns, so people won’t be irrationally frightened by them.

As a woman, I want to note that open carry will be especially helpful in protecting women. I’ve spoken with many women who want to carry for self-defense, but they always ask the same question: ”But how would I ever conceal?!” Often, they end up not having their gun on their person because it is difficult, uncomfortable, or awkward to try to effectively conceal. So open carry would give these women greater freedom to protect themselves.

Of course, it’s a great embarrassment for Texas to be one of only 6 states that does not allow some form of open carry.

But seriously: the argument for open carry is not just so we can keep up with Oklahoma. The argument is Constitutional.

There is no constitutional reason that carry must be concealed; therefore I support open carry.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    Anybody hear anything lately?

Edit- Just saw this on Lavendars facebook. He posted it a few days back on 3-30
    George Lavender for State RepresentativeThanks, Guys. We are now being told that we can vote Open Carry out of committee in 2 weeks. It doesn't make me happy, but, if it happens, it still gives us time to get it passed in both houses.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom