• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’m retiring from this polymer 80 racket!!! The 940CL frame was on sale a couple weeks ago so I ordered one. The other day, I committed to taking my time and doing it as well as I could. Spent an hour checking jig alignment and drilling holes. Another hour deburring and cleaning the holes. Put frame in jig and pins slid right through so I know the holes are lined up with jig. But BAM!!!! As soon as I put parts in frame and insert pins, rails don’t line up and slide hits the trigger assembly! And looking at the front locking block from both kits, they are definitely not the same even though they are the same model number. I have no idea how these people on YouTube videos take 20 minutes and their gun has only minor issues, while I take hours and twice have failed to even be able to get get the slide on. Very frustrated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hurley's Gold

CyberWolf

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2018
    US
    I’m retiring from this polymer 80 racket!!! The 940CL frame was on sale a couple weeks ago so I ordered one. The other day, I committed to taking my time and doing it as well as I could. Spent an hour checking jig alignment and drilling holes. Another hour deburring and cleaning the holes. Put frame in jig and pins slid right through so I know the holes are lined up with jig. But BAM!!!! As soon as I put parts in frame and insert pins, rails don’t line up and slide hits the trigger assembly! And looking at the front locking block from both kits, they are definitely not the same even though they are the same model number. I have no idea how these people on YouTube videos take 20 minutes and their gun has only minor issues, while I take hours and twice have failed to even be able to get get the slide on. Very frustrated.

got any hi-res pics of both blocks? (preferably multiple angle shots)

Throw up some pics of the second frame also.

You can also try getting some longer pins/rods and check hole alignment through the jig...

Finally, no disrespect intended, the assumption is that you have decent general mechanical skills/experience; If not, there may be a capabilities gap at the moment which is causing issues (whether or not it's recognized as such)...

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I’ll post pics after work. I’m not a gunsmith for sure, but I’ve been working on cars my whole life and worked in a garage for 5 years. I spent my early teen years working carpentry and hanging drywall with my uncle. I have done basic electrical work and even did a one year course on hydraulics and fluid dynamics to work on oilfield equipment. I thought I had a pretty good knowledge of tools and a basic understanding of a drill and a level. This damn experiment has made me doubt my entire existence!!! I can put the frame in the jig and push the pins through, that’s the frustrating part. How do I fix that? I would have done a hundred times better just fitting the rails and taking some measurements and doing a little math and making my own holes! I’m gonna cool off for a couple days before I do any more work on them.

I’m sure it comes across as I’m whining and thought I would drill 3 holes and have a working Glock. I’m just frustrated and need to step back and I’m sure the solution will come to me. It’s just driving me a little batty right now!

Last edited:

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Got home late last night and didn’t feel like tearing the latest one completely down, but I took a pic of it all together, and one where you can see that the slide is hitting the trigger assembly. Maybe I’m just not seeing the solution, but without altering the holes in the front locking block, the slide sits too low and the front and back rails don’t line up. Only thing I can think of is enlarging the holes on the locking block, and using something underneath (piece of the polymer tab maybe) to shim them level.
    37d354651c7809f23d87db36d9e19ac7.jpg
    16f948a1c264769660d351d251bca007.jpg

Attachments

• 37d354651c7809f23d87db36d9e19ac7.jpg
      37d354651c7809f23d87db36d9e19ac7.jpg
      52.6 KB · Views: 444
    • 16f948a1c264769660d351d251bca007.jpg
      16f948a1c264769660d351d251bca007.jpg
      138.2 KB · Views: 446

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    the slide sits too low and the front and back rails don’t line up.
    I've read most/all of this thread and think I have followed along. Yet I have never built one of these, so questions are only based on other experience.
    So: Have we ruled out that you got a crappy frame? It sounds like the rails have a bad fit in the polymer housing. Why do we keep trying slides and such?
    Also: you had mentioned being able to get five or six shots then FTF. It made me wonder about magazine issues. Have you ruled that out?
    Just some pondering...nothing more...

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I got the replacement locking block/front rails from P80, and I’ll have to do a side by side comparison, but at first glance they look a lot different. First of all, the ones that came with the frame had a coating of some sort on them. Black paint probably, and these do not. Also I took a quick reading with my calipers, and these are in spec with my slide already. The others I had to sand and polish for hours it seemed like to get them to fit. Bottom holes seem lower too, but that may be wishful thinking. I say I’m not gonna mess with it tonight because I work late and have to be back early tomorrow, but I may have to do a quick test fit when I get home. Hope they help, but if they do it will make me wonder if P80 knows they have bad parts and are still shipping them out. Talked to a lot of people who had to get replacement rails.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Plate is all the way on, pic sure makes it look like it’s not though! But just got home from work and had to check the replacement locking block/rails that P80 sent me. Dropped right in, level with the rear, pin went in and slide feels like butter! Won’t get a chance to fire it until Sunday, but I’m pretty confident. Kinda peeved that P80 may know they have some out of spec parts. Gonna call Monday and get another set for my other one that has the front rails too low also. Spent a lot of time and BOOM, get new ones that drop right in. Just gonna take this win and be happy for the night!

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I wonder if you used a Glock factory locking block if you would have had the same issues?

Making me nervous about the one a buddy wants me to help him put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    I wonder if you used a Glock factory locking block if you would have had the same issues?

Making me nervous about the one a buddy wants me to help him put together.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can’t use a Glock locking block because on the Polymer 80, the front rails and locking block are all one piece. Don’t be nervous. I had a part that was a little out of spec and I got frustrated thinking I screwed something up. That being said, I have now talked to several people who had to get new locking blocks sent to them because of a similar issue. If I would have had a good part right out of the box, it would have been a pretty easy project. But once I hit that snag, I started chasing my tail thinking it was something else.

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    Can’t use a Glock locking block because on the Polymer 80, the front rails and locking block are all one piece. Don’t be nervous. I had a part that was a little out of spec and I got frustrated thinking I screwed something up. That being said, I have now talked to several people who had to get new locking blocks sent to them because of a similar issue. If I would have had a good part right out of the box, it would have been a pretty easy project. But once I hit that snag, I started chasing my tail thinking it was something else.

Now, just think how easily the next one will go together.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Just got finished wiping the tears from my eyes, because I put about 200 rounds through her and not one single problem!! I started with some 147 grain, and after 3 magazines of that I went to some regular 115 grain. It all worked great! Hopefully I’ll get a new locking block for my long slide 19 (or short grip 17 whatever P80 is calling it) and that issue will be resolved too.

CodyK

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Houston
    Got the locking block for my 2nd P80 I was having issues with in the mail today. Guess what? Dropped right in, pins went in without any issue, and slide went right on! Took it to the range and put about 100 rounds through it without a single issue!

Top Bottom