• 6.8spc

Votes: 6 50.0%

• Total voters

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    I have both cartridges and have been a fan of the 26cal since '78 with the mod70 in 264wm. I thought that I would like the 6.5g better, but don't! It's a good round, but the 6.8 has performed better for my experience any way. If you haven't shot both then you should?
    Gun Zone Deals

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    ..If you haven't shot both then you should?
    Glad you found something you like. My answer to your question is no, for a lot of reasons, one of which is the two cartridges have zero commonality in components other than primers. I don’t need another upper, die set, brass, and projectiles to decide if one or the other makes a particular target deaderer.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    Glad you found something you like. My answer to your question is no, for a lot of reasons, one of which is the two cartridges have zero commonality in components other than primers. I don’t need another upper, die set, brass, and projectiles to decide if one or the other makes a particular target deaderer.
    You could've tried another person's?

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I have both cartridges and have been a fan of the 26cal since '78 with the mod70 in 264wm. I thought that I would like the 6.5g better, but don't! It's a good round, but the 6.8 has performed better for my experience any way. If you haven't shot both then you should?

My experience with the 6.5G & 6.8SPC was just the opposite of yours. I still have my Grendel(s) but I had to see what the hype was with the 6.8.

Meh........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    My move to Texas has been in the works for a few years, and changing to a larger caliber was part of the plan.
    6.5G or 6.8, a new 30 caliber can and a new thermal were all planned for. The new can and the thermal are in hand, but, do to the craziness, I never upgraded to bigger bullets. I’ll stick with 77gr 5.56 for now.

If things ever settle back down, I’ll go with the 6.5G.

Lonesome Dove

A man of vision but with no mission.
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 25, 2018
    Cut n Shoot, Texas
    My move to Texas has been in the works for a few years, and changing to a larger caliber was part of the plan.
    6.5G or 6.8, a new 30 caliber can and a new thermal were all planned for. The new can and the thermal are in hand, but, do to the craziness, I never upgraded to bigger bullets. I’ll stick with 77gr 5.56 for now.

In the same boat and I loaded a crap load of solid cooper 55s for the piggies. No can no special optics other than a leupold pig scope. Been using just bolt guns but hoping to get a few more shots per dinner bell.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    It's a pretty great round that kind of bridges the gap between intermediate cartridges like a 5.56, 7.62x39 and a .308 etc. Back in the day when you could get 123 grain A-Max in factory loads, those were super accurate. The SST's weren't far behind, and better hunting rounds. The current Hornady Black rounds aren't too bad.

KJQ6945

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2020
    Ben Wheeler
    I built my AR Grendel for its long range capabilities and like the round a lot. If you want to see it's killing capabilities, look at some of doublenaughtspy's videos on here.
    @doublenaughtspy is a hog killing machine! Watched plenty of his videos over at Lone Star Boars.
    Either round will work, but the edge goes to 6.5.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    @doublenaughtspy is a hog killing machine! Watched plenty of his videos over at Lone Star Boars.
    Either round will work, but the edge goes to 6.5.
    I just picked it for it's long range abilities originally. I'd love to get one of the Howa mini-action bolt guns in it too. It's an easy cartridge to re-load for.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    My experience with the 6.5G & 6.8SPC was just the opposite of yours. I still have my Grendel(s) but I had to see what the hype was with the 6.8.

Meh........

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    I have issues ftf and/or fte with the 6.5g, but I think my 6.5g problems are with the mags? Both have been good rounds so I'll see what my reloads do? The 270win and 6.8spc aren't only 27cal guns, but have 4 different 26cal guns(6.5g, 6.5cm, 260rem and 264wm). The wm is the only ba. Haven't shot the other more than 50 rounds yet. I have the ammo, but not the time yet. Didn't purchase on hype, just caliber choice. Talk about hype, what about the 6arc? Count me out! I have a 243win in an ar for the 90gr fmj .

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    It's a pretty great round that kind of bridges the gap between intermediate cartridges like a 5.56, 7.62x39 and a .308 etc. Back in the day when you could get 123 grain A-Max in factory loads, those were super accurate. The SST's weren't far behind, and better hunting rounds. The current Hornady Black rounds aren't too bad.
    From my stash!
    16177711740097760684420841728006.jpg

Txhillbilly

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    North Texas
    The Grendel may be a fine cartridge, but I have a personal issue with Bill Alexander from years back and will never own anything he's connected with.
    I built a 6.8 SPC II years ago using a White Oak barrel that shoots fantastic, as well a wildcat Six5 (6.5x6.8) to fill my 6.5mm AR 15 itch.

I've never thought of the AR 15 platform as a "Long Range" gun. Yes, there are people that use them a one, but for a long range gas gun, I'll stick with my large framed 260 Remington AR.

TEXAS "All or nothing"

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2021
    Texas
    The Grendel may be a fine cartridge, but I have a personal issue with Bill Alexander from years back and will never own anything he's connected with.
    I built a 6.8 SPC II years ago using a White Oak barrel that shoots fantastic, as well a wildcat Six5 (6.5x6.8) to fill my 6.5mm AR 15 itch.

I've never thought of the AR 15 platform as a "Long Range" gun. Yes, there are people that use them a one, but for a long range gas gun, I'll stick with my large framed 260 Remington AR.
    Mor velocity= more fun! I didn't see the AR15 as a long range gun eigther. A 300bo can go long range to, but doesn't need you should.

Last edited:

Darkpriest667

Actually Attends
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 13, 2017
    Jarrell TX, United States

You'll kick yourself. I bought 1000 rounds of 6.5 grendel in Feb 2020 for 22 cents a round.

Top Bottom