• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Used to drink a couple 20oz Dr Peppers a day, along with 3-5 cans. Maybe more if I worked all night.

I’d decided I wasn’t going up a pant size so just kept sucking in to button up my jeans, but I’d cheat sometimes and unbutton them during the day.

About 5 weeks ago I pretty had my last Dr Pepper (almost). Switched to water and only get a Dr Pepper on the few occasions when we go out to eat. Dropped 8-10lbs. Pants fit much better, not tired all day, and feel a lot better in general. Was up to 195 at 5’9 up from about 170 when I started this position. I watched another guy doing the same job go from around 180 to probably close to 300 doing the same job and didn’t want to hit a point where I was so obese I wouldn’t be able to do the physical activity needed to counter it and be stuck starving myself or just turning to shit.

One of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I remember arguing with the girl when I went in for a DOT physical and she said I was at 195. After stepping on a few different industrial scales I gave up on that, lol. Back down to 183.4 this morning.

People do what they want and you can’t tell people how to live and shouldn’t. But if you do the same shit I really recommend giving it a try for a week or so. I spent about a week transitioning from Dr Pepper to water and on the 5th day went water only. Aside from peeing a lot it’s been better in every way. And I haven’t even started rusting!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    DK Firearms

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    We are similar weight but my cholesterol battle keeps me watching what I eat. Having been down this road and having to work with someone who’s very familiar with keto I’ll share some of my own observations:

Soda will effect weight fast but I still drink it. It seems if you give up other sugars found in many foods like reducing sauces, breads, useless snacks; a lot of foods are loaded with sugars/sweeteners.

Also when you stop eating in the day plays a huge part. I’m trying not to eat big when I get home. Eat a good lunch but if I eat dinner it’s light.

As what was shared with me when shopping: don’t go down the isles. Shop for foods on the perimeter of the store.

A lot of the processed and shelf stable foods are just junk food.

One of my favorite lunches: orange bell peppers cut up with salami and mozzarella cheese as sandwiches. For a drink get water, lemon juice, and some pink sea salt.

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    Congratulations!! That is great and I know is super hard to drop Sodas. Keep up the good work! :o

I do a low sugar, no gluten high protein diet. I don't do gluten because I actually came back intolerant which basically means that I have a mild allergic reaction to it. I don't eat much sugar because I've noticed my anxiety gets really high when I do. I do mainly lean proteins with the occasional fatty ones but try to stick too lean. I figured after being over 300lbs about 5 years ago that I needed a change. (My dad had a triple bypass at 57 and that was because of him neglecting his health) After doing some research talking to dieticians that I had worked with they informed me of foods I should not have because of all the medical stuff I had been through.

My husband's family tries to tell me because it's natural or organic its good for you..... they don't really have a cluse about what they are talking about.

Personally I feel every person is different and we all need to figure out what's best for our bodies.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Congratulations!! That is great and I know is super hard to drop Sodas. Keep up the good work! :o

I do a low sugar, no gluten high protein diet. I don't do gluten because I actually came back intolerant which basically means that I have a mild allergic reaction to it. I don't eat much sugar because I've noticed my anxiety gets really high when I do. I do mainly lean proteins with the occasional fatty ones but try to stick too lean. I figured after being over 300lbs about 5 years ago that I needed a change. (My dad had a triple bypass at 57 and that was because of him neglecting his health) After doing some research talking to dieticians that I had worked with they informed me of foods I should not have because of all the medical stuff I had been through.

My husband's family tries to tell me because it's natural or organic its good for you..... they don't really have a cluse about what they are talking about.

Personally I feel every person is different and we all need to figure out what's best for our bodies.
    My manager used to be big and diabetic. He was one of the lucky ones and reversed it with diet.

As far as I’m concerned the food pyramid is bs. If anything it’s meant to hurt lives.

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    My manager used to be big and diabetic. He was one of the lucky ones and reversed it with diet.

As far as I’m concerned the food pyramid is bs. If anything it’s meant to hurt lives.
    That's awesome! Thankfully I never was a diabetic; I do have it on both sides of my family though. Its a terrible disease one I hope stays away from me.

Sadly, the food pyramid was made many years ago and like many other things is outdated. Kind of like BMI, I had around 20% body fat once and was told I was considered overweight....

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine

One MUST learn to read labels, much is hidden from regular folks via deceptive labeling. Food Industry lobbyists have done a real number on our labeling laws and regulations. LSU Pennington Center, the World's premier Nutrition Science Authority, did a very expensive study, both retrospective and prospective. They found that obesity rampant in the USA, is caused mostly bey the "HIDDEN SUGARS" in our processed foods, eating too rapidly, and lack of exercise; in that order. Surprisingly, dietary fat was not an issue in obesity causation, despite industry claims. Some of the very worst dietary items are orange juice, breakfast cereals, and wine. Just take your reading glasses to any market and read the cereal labels; the amounts of hidden and non-hidden sugars are astounding. I order my puffed rice & corn puffs from WalMart online by the case; ZERO sugars and cheaper. Only old-time Cheerio's and shredded wheat still have no added sugar. Even "Grape Nuts" now have added sugar. There are some 20+ dietary sugars, but foods can legally be labeled "Sugar-Free" if they have no sucrose or glucose, despite being loaded with other common sugars. It is a RACKET. Also, there is no extra value in "organic foods". Your local Dietician can help you.

Katydid1984

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2021
    Hunt County
    One MUST learn to read labels, much is hidden from regular folks via deceptive labeling. Food Industry lobbyists have done a real number on our labeling laws and regulations. LSU Pennington Center, the World's premier Nutrition Science Authority, did a very expensive study, both retrospective and prospective. They found that obesity rampant in the USA, is caused mostly bey the "HIDDEN SUGARS" in our processed foods, eating too rapidly, and lack of exercise; in that order. Surprisingly, dietary fat was not an issue in obesity causation, despite industry claims. Some of the very worst dietary items are orange juice, breakfast cereals, and wine. Just take your reading glasses to any market and read the cereal labels; the amounts of hidden and non-hidden sugars are astounding. I order my puffed rice & corn puffs from WalMart online by the case; ZERO sugars and cheaper. Only old-time Cheerio's and shredded wheat still have no added sugar. Even "Grape Nuts" now have added sugar. There are some 20+ dietary sugars, but foods can legally be labeled "Sugar-Free" if they have no sucrose or glucose, despite being loaded with other common sugars. It is a RACKET. Also, there is no extra value in "organic foods". Your local Dietician can help you.
    Oh yeah! It's crazy what has sugar in it or is advertised as "healthy". I try and make all my seasonings and sauces if I can. I do buy my ketchup, I found one that is really good. It's made by a old pit master who was diagnosed with diabetes. He figured he would make his own stuff and then started selling it.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    Read the label on almost any regular 'soda" and you will see HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) near the top of the ingredients. It's even in most ketchup!

Green label Dr pepper, made with pure cane syrup, is an exception. But, it's still loaded with sugar.

I avoid HFCS because it is suspected as being a trigger for gout. It can also have horrible consequences for diabetics.

I read all labels and continue to be surprised at where it turns up.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    Read the label on any regular 'soda" and you will see HFCS (high fructose corn syrup) near the top of the ingredients. It's even in most ketchup!

I avoid it because it is suspected as being a trigger for gout. It can't have horrible consequences for diabetics.

I read all labels and continue to be surprised at where it turns up.

Yes, that is a large part of the problem.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    Some foods and why:

Bell peppers - a real super food. Eat a pepper, raw, a day and feel the change.

Changing cheese consumption to mozzarella - one of the lowest cholesterol cheeses.

Green olives - another super food. Heavy in vitamin e. Great for the skin and overall health.

Boil lunch meat - I don’t do this but my old man does. The shit that comes out of lunch meat is insane.

Whiskey - stop drinking beer or at least heavy beer and hit the whiskey. It’s cleaner. It’s better for you.

Pasta - replace as much pasta as you can with veggie pasta and reduce the amount of sauce you put on.

Breakfast - have some water, then coffee if need be. For most of us that aren’t in our 20’s we don’t need a bunch of sugary shit in the am. Careful of coffee on an empty stomach.

Fruits - mostly located on the west coast :) - rethink the fruits or juices you drink. Consume fruits that actually help with a good immune system or digestion. Not just loading sugars into your system.

Potatoes - we have one for president - stop eating potatoes all the time. They are as bad as fruit and wondering why you can’t slim down.

Rice/beans/corn/bread - do the research, this stuff is terrible actually.

Edit: include more pink sea salt into your diet for vitamins and minerals.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Haven’t done a lot with my diet. Added some fruit, mostly apples and bananas.

Not going to try to drastically flip my life. Give up everything I enjoy and I’d probably just give up and go back.

My wife got me a bag of Keebler iced animal crackers. Love those fucking things. Usually would binge on them for a day or 2 but stretched it out over a few weeks. I’ve avoided the triple baconators though, lol.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    That's awesome! Thankfully I never was a diabetic; I do have it on both sides of my family though. Its a terrible disease one I hope stays away from me.

Sadly, the food pyramid was made many years ago and like many other things is outdated. Kind of like BMI, I had around 20% body fat once and was told I was considered overweight....

There was a lot of input from people who had a vested interest in bread sales when the idea of a “food Pyramid” was being developed.

Orange juice was never a thing until someone needed to sell more oranges. Turns out one of Sigmund Frueds family members (nephew or some shit) was really good at creating large scale behavioral changes. He had a hand in a lot of similar and successful campaigns.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    A lot of years back I used to drink Mt. Dew and not much else. Got a kidney stone, and the urologist advised me that if I changed my beverage of choice I would likely never have another. That's all it took for me, I switched that day from soda to water and never looked back. I drink at at least 1, sometimes 2 liters in the time between morning coffee and 5pm. I'll use those sugar free "juice" packets to add in, but I dilute 'em at least 2:1 or it's intolerably sweet.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    the food pyramid was made many years ago and like many other things is outdated.

The food pyramid isn't outdated. It was a giant fraud from the start.

There was a lot of input from people who had a vested interest in bread sales when the idea of a “food Pyramid” was being developed.

And the sugar lobby.

If only our fathers and grandfathers had listened to John Yudkin we might be a much, much healthier society today.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I do a lot of things on your list. Bell peppers should get added. Almost no carbs at all. Never beer, but some of the cleaner stuff. :)
    Bell peppers will provide a noticeable bump in your immune system and overall health. I like yellow, red, and orange for better flavor.

Raw topped with bacon or as I shared previously with meat and cheese

Top Bottom