• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    When I first bought the property back in 2017, it had been uninhabited for about a year. The first few times I mowed the fenced portion of the yard, I regularly saw large copperheads, and sometimes managed to eliminate them - other times they moved too quickly and got away.
    I saw the largest one while I was shredding with the tractor. It got away before I could get off the tractor and deal with it - I wasn't about to go chasing it in the brush!

The neighbors live about a half-mile away, are my age and grew up around here, & tell me the "hill" between our properties has long been known as "Copperhead Hill".
    So, there's that...

justmax

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 28, 2019
    Kingwood
    I remember something called Snake Mace from a trade show once. We were going to rep it, but that didn't happen.

I just looked them up. Here is the link.

Last edited:

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    They do. But they wear out pretty quick and you have to keep reapplying them. They will leach into soil. Pretty nasty stuff, and your yard will smell like mothballs. Keeps all manner of animals away.
    Did not keep skunks or ground squirrels from claiming the area below my shed.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    They do. But they wear out pretty quick and you have to keep reapplying them. They will leach into soil. Pretty nasty stuff, and your yard will smell like mothballs. Keeps all manner of animals away.

I remember lots of older people many years ago, would throw them under their houses, back when pier and beam were much more common to keep snakes and critters from under the house. Back many years ago, lots of people would keep their vegetables under the house. I remember my grandparents doing that.

Reactions: JC1

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    +1 = 16.

Attachments

• 20210630_221732.jpg
      20210630_221732.jpg
      1.4 MB · Views: 150

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    I have 2 "animal" related dreams. One is thousands of hungry alligators surrounding me. I check that one up to the James bond film. 2nd is snakes. Lots n lots of poisonous snakes.

You're living my nightmare. I still say flame throwers and claymores. If it slithers with venom then it dies with extreme prejudice.

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    I’ve killed a couple of big ones in the yard but I read someplace about copperheads congregating around live oak trees in the summer. What really amazes me is my dogs will walk over and lay down in ground cover near where I’ve killed three coral snakes over the years and they never seem to get bit.

1911'S 4 Me

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2018
    Humble
    Saw a segment on 'Texas Parks &Wildlife' about a guy that had about 150 copperheads in his yard.
    They came out at night to go for a certain worm that was laying eggs on oak tree trunks.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I have pine trees, and tons of them. Very few oaks. I've been taking a nightly stroll with a BIG spotlight and a shotgun. The last few nights have been without incident.
    I've got a couple of porch lights and a dusk-to-dawn light in the fenced yard.
    The light draws bugs.
    The bugs attract lizards and frogs.
    The lizards and frogs (and bugs) attract the snakes.
    It seems I'm running an "all you can eat" version of Golden Corral" for the critters around here!

I'll continue my nightly routine until I'm convinced I've thinned them out.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom