• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    Evewryone I knew who fought in Korea thought the .30 carbine round was worthless.

I learned to shoot rifles with my dad's .30 cal M1 carbine. The first time I shot it I put four rounds of surplus FMJ ball ammo through an eight inch thick oak tree. This was around 1986, with ammo that was loaded in 1950.

I think the experience in Korea had a lot to do with conditions there, including the cold. I've heard a lot of accounts of men being shot and continuing to fight because the cold sealed up the wounds. Once they warmed up, they'd bleed out.

zackmars

Free 1911 refinishing
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    I learned to shoot rifles with my dad's .30 cal M1 carbine. The first time I shot it I put four rounds of surplus FMJ ball ammo through an eight inch thick oak tree. This was around 1986, with ammo that was loaded in 1950.

I think the experience in Korea had a lot to do with conditions there, including the cold. I've heard a lot of accounts of men being shot and continuing to fight because the cold sealed up the wounds. Once they warmed up, they'd bleed out.

Also consider that most carbines were M2's, and it's not the most shooter friendly full auto. Light gun, semi pistol grip, pretty fast rate of fire, and the stock is not in line with the direction of the recoil.

Even in semi auto it's practically useless past 200 yards

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    5.7x28 ss190 out of a 10 inch, iirc, barrel will Penetrate esapi plates at 200 yards. Level 3 plates I believe.

The non ap stuff we can get won't. Which is why my qualifier of ammo ww can't get.

The whole point of the 5.7 and p90 was developed to penetrate such armor at 200 yards with the ss190 ammo.

Without it it is a hot 22 mag load. Kinda.
    I don’t know about 200 yds, but I do know experienced Green Berets who bought in that caliber just for penetrating bullet resistant vests.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Level III is rifle rated, IE, .308 M80 ball.

Lvl III will stop M855 or M193 past 50-75 yards 100% of the time (depending on barrel length), much less 5.7x28.

AP is not magic, and there is no bullet technology out there that will turn 5.7 at 200 yards into 5.56 at 50 yards, or say .30-06 M2AP

AP 5.7 will go through IIIa, as will .30 carbine FMJ or 7.62x25 FMJ
    3 3a what's a vowel between friends.

Now I'm curious.

Stand by.... 3a ofcourse. I'm a tard ars who watched too much stargate p90 defeating jaffa armor.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    3 3a what's a vowel between friends.

Now I'm curious.

Stand by.... 3a ofcourse. I'm a tard ars who watched too much stargate p90 defeating jaffa armor.
    Iirc, it will go through IIIa without an AP bullet at short ranges.

Its a cool little round and I think a PCC in 5.7 would be fun.

Надіслано з дому вашої мами за допомогою Tapatalk

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    5.7 spitfire never made it past the wildcat stage, which is a shame because it's a great cartridge, and the best of all the various necked down .30 carbine cartridges out there
    A friend of mine who is big time into carbines both M1 & M2 believes he has the the Spitfire Carbine Folder that was pictured with Melvin in a famous picture. The problem he encountered was ammo he has the brass all splits. He thinks it was the annelealing of the carbine brass is culprit.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....

Also, the ChiComs were known to put pieces of scrap steel inside their coats before a swarm attack. Primitive body armor....who knew they weren't enthusiastic about dying for the Revolution?

Trailhunting72

Outdoors & Motorsports
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2022
    Houston, TX
    This round is definitely a source of gossip per se. You will find ideas and claims on both sides of the spectrum claiming this to be a great round vs a derpy small 22 round. For one, light weight, moves fast, high capacity, and long range, minimal recoil. Great for the wrists, comfortable, and your wife/gf will love to shoot the round. Capable of great bug out since it can be 40gr or less to carry.
    However, expensive and hard to reload. Ammo is the signifier on whether you will have an enjoyable time owning one. There are some nice rounds to be had, and some not so good ones like AE 40gr, which bullet cases will literally separate from tinkering with them. The FN branded stuff is g2g along with new Federal Speer. The old SS190 and SS192 is some of the creme de la creme, but hard to find and expensive. SS197SR is well suited for most stuff and travels 1700fps or so. Aftermarket companies provide some nice alternatives as well.
    My one gripe with this exotic(ish) piece is the polymer build quality. I am NOT a fan of how FN engineered the polymer on these for the price they sell them at. Easier to crack and break than other competitors, takes a bit more care to keep these working well, and they l love to run wet! Keep It lubed and will serve a long time of zero problems.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Dugan Ashley in his prime:

"We didn't get to the moon on numbers, we got to the moon on testicles.....and numbers"

An un-neutered P90 is a thing of beauty. Old video so don't quote the prices.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I have an FN 57 and have fired various ammunition through it. It is a great gun with negligible recoil, but it is very difficult to fire it with precision. Will you land the rounds in deadly pattern? Oh yes you will. Are they a marksman pattern, well not really.
    I am not sure why that is… I can shoot a 9mm or a 1911 with much greater precision. Will it get the job done? Yes I do believe it will.

RoundRockRed

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2022
    Round Rock, TX.
    I Don't want to come off disrespectful to the deceased, but if you look at the Fort Hood shooting, the shooter killed 13 and wounded 30 with a 5.7 pistol. Check me if I'm wrong, but I don't think your getting those numbers with a .22lr. The 5.7 is most definitely a lethal round.

Top Bottom