• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • slumpychuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2021
    Conroe, Tx
    I've been looking for a good an somewhat inexpensive AR for some time now and I've hit the point of information overload. From PSA and Radical to Diamondback and Spikes, I hear a lot of good things, some bad things, and ultimately have a hard time figuring where I should land. Of course, Colt, S&W, Ruger, and Springfield are all household names and I hear nothing but great things about Anderson as well. Ultimately, I want it as close to milspec as is appropriate and for a good price if it doesn't have a plethora of upgraded furniture. Main use is home defense, range toy, and all around general purpose on the ranch. Budget is around $1000, preferably under.

Anybody got an opinion? Thanks ahead.

Last edited:

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    What is your top budget?

What will it be used for?

How often will it be used?

There is a Ruger 556 posted here somewhere that should fit the "basic" requirements for you.

toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    Ruger or S&W M&P. PSA prices are close to there’s (or higher), and the former two are a more consistent build quality in my opinion.

Reactions: MTA

Haystack

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2021
    Edom, TX
    I see a lot of AR discussions where lots of brand names are thrown around and people usually fail to mention Stag. Of all the ARs I own my Stag is the best.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    I've been looking for a good an somewhat inexpensive AR for some time now and I've hit the point of information overload. From PSA and Radical to Diamondback and Spikes, I hear a lot of good things, some bad things, and ultimately have a hard time figuring where I should land. Of course, Colt, S&W, Ruger, and Springfield are all household names and I hear nothing but great things about Anderson as well. Ultimately, I want it as close to milspec as is appropriate and for a good price if it doesn't have a plethora of upgraded furniture. Main use is home defense, range toy, and all around general purpose on the ranch. Budget is around $1000, preferably under.

Anybody got an opinion? Thanks ahead.
    Don't get too wrapped up in the details. Unless you build one for yourself with garbage parts, they all work extremely well.

Even the basic PSA run great. Its no Larue, but it will go bang everytime and hit what you are aiming at.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 18, 2015
    Katy, TX
    I have an M&P Sport 2 and it’s been great for my purposes - meaning I’m not actually going house to house. I replaced the furniture on mine and the charging handle though the stock parts are perfectly functional. Easy upgrades are part of the fun of owning an AR though! But it’s functioned perfectly since day one despite being a more entry level model.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Buy what you can afford & trade up later if you think you need to.
    I read an article a while back that advocated that viewpoint. Basically, it proposed that new users should get a cheap Del-Ton or equivalent, run 5000 rounds through it including at least a couple of basic carbine classes, and then sit down with a clean sheet of paper and spec out what you want. The idea was that until you've had some experience, you don't know what you want.

Then sell the cheap rifle and get the one that you'll keep for a long, long time.

Anybody follow that route?

slumpychuck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2021
    Conroe, Tx
    I read an article a while back that advocated that viewpoint. Basically, it proposed that new users should get a cheap Del-Ton or equivalent, run 5000 rounds through it including at least a couple of basic carbine classes, and then sit down with a clean sheet of paper and spec out what you want. The idea was that until you've had some experience, you don't know what you want.

Then sell the cheap rifle and get the one that you'll keep for a long, long time.

Anybody follow that route?

Honestly, this is ultimately my approach. However, unaware and not confident of the future of 2A, I want this one to have a little more in the quality/longevity department.

BuzzinSATX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    New Braunfels
    Honestly, this is ultimately my approach. However, unaware and not confident of the future of 2A, I want this one to have a little more in the quality/longevity department.

Quality and Longevity don’t really go well with “Cheap”.

I’d suggest a PSA if you want to stay on the lower cost side. If I was buying another AR today, I’d buy these:

Add a spare complete BCG, ammo, mags, and sights and you are good to go.

You’d probably be better off with the premium upper but you’d be out of your price range.

If funds allow later on, you can always upgrade to a better upper and use the cheaper upper as a .22 conversion via a CMMG .22LR conversion kit.

The lower I suggested is a solid option.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Just prior to the latest fear monger crisis I put together a sweet little carbine by ordering the components from PSA. spent 300 and change. Love that rifle. Once the basic gun is bought. the problem becomes finding the funds for the thousands of toys that mount to it. wish.com is NOT your friend for AR toys

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom