• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    I'm getting a big bore super magnum soon, and I have narrowed it down to two revolvers in two different but similar rounds. What I'm looking at is either a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in 480 Ruger, or a Magnum Research BFR Bisley in 475 Linebaugh.

Here's the basics on the guns.

Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley

480 Ruger
    6.5" barrel
    5 round cylinder
    48 oz
    $840

Magnum Research BFR Bisley

475 linebaugh
    6.5" barrel
    5 round cylinder
    57.6 oz
    $1,100

From what I understand, the BFR is just flat out a better made gun and is usually more accurate than the Ruger. The Ruger though is cheaper and lighter. It's a better belt pistol.

Now about the rounds. I believe that the 475 Linebaugh was at one point the most powerful handgun round. It is a very stout round that will kill anything on Earth. Recoil from what I understand is not exactly pleasant. 480 Ruger on the other hand while not quite as powerful as 475 Linebaugh, is no slouch. It is around the same level as a 454 Casull with less velocity and less recoil but a much bigger and heavier bullet. As far as big bore magnums go, many consider it pleasant to shoot. Or at least pleasant enough that they can shoot a box of ammo without breaking down into a puddle of tears.

For the record, you can shoot 480 Ruger in a 475 Linebaugh, but there's not much of a point in doing so. Brass is not cheap, and you would likely get better accuracy out of a reduced load in a 475 Linebaugh.

Here's the thing. I would like to have the power of a 475 Linebaugh available to me, but I would likely seldom shoot loads that hot. 480 Ruger is a much more user friendly round, and will do almost everything the 475 Linebaugh will do.

The difference in the cost of reloading these two rounds is negligible. The 475 will use a bit more powder, but that's the only real difference.

So, do I get the cheaper, lighter, easier to carry gun that's good enough and chamber in what is still a very potent round, or the better made, more expensive gun that will only be used to it's full potential on the rare occasion?

Last edited:

oldag

TGT Addict
    Feb 19, 2015
    Enjoy shooting my Ruger Alaskan snubbie in .480. A real blast.

Ammo ain't cheap.

kbaxter60

"Gig 'Em!"
    Jan 23, 2019
    Pipe Creek
    I'm getting a big bore super magnum soon, and I have narrowed it down to two revolvers in two different but similar rounds. What I'm looking at is either a Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley in 480 Ruger, or a Magnum Research BFR Bisley in 475 Linebaugh.

Here's the basics on the guns.

Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley

480 Ruger
    5 round cylinder
    48 oz
    $840

Magnum Research BFR Bisley

475 linebaugh
    5 round cylinder
    57.6 oz
    $1,100

From what I understand, the BFR is just flat out a better made gun and is usually more accurate than the Ruger. The Ruger though is cheaper and lighter. It's a better belt pistol.

Now about the rounds. I believe that the 475 Linebaugh was at one point the most powerful handgun round. It is a very stout round that will kill anything on Earth. Recoil from what I understand is not exactly pleasant. 480 Ruger on the other hand while not quite as powerful as 475 Linebaugh, is no slouch. It is around the same level as a 454 Casull with less velocity and less recoil but a much bigger and heavier bullet. As far as big bore magnums go, many consider it pleasant to shoot. Or at least pleasant enough that they can shoot a box of ammo without breaking down into a puddle of tears.

For the record, you can shoot 480 Ruger in a 475 Linebaugh, but there's not much of a point in doing so. Brass is not cheap, and you would likely get better accuracy out of a reduced load in a 475 Linebaugh.

Here's the thing. I would like to have the power of a 475 Linebaugh available to me, but I would likely seldom shoot loads that hot. 480 Ruger is a much more user friendly round, and will do almost everything the 475 Linebaugh will do.

The difference in the cost of reloading these two rounds is negligible. The 475 will use a bit more powder, but that's the only real difference.

So, do I get the cheaper, lighter, easier to carry gun that's good enough and chamber in what is still a very potent round, or the better made, more expensive gun that will only be used to it's full potential on the rare occasion?
    Maybe I am alone in this, but I was hoping for a bit more info:
    * Intended use (bear hunting, dropping black helos, etc.)
    * Barrel lengths of each
    * Ballistics of the two loads?
    Maybe the short answer is "See if you can shoot both and see which you prefer"?

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    Just out of curiosity, why those 2 rounds and not something like the 460 S&W Magnum? With the 460, you can still shoot 454 Casull, and 45 Colt from the same revolver.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Maybe I am alone in this, but I was hoping for a bit more info:
    * Intended use (bear hunting, dropping black helos, etc.)
    * Barrel lengths of each
    * Ballistics of the two loads?
    Maybe the short answer is "See if you can shoot both and see which you prefer"?

I went back and added the barrel lengths. They're both 6.5". The intended use is 90% range toy, 8% hunting deer and hog, 2% bear defense if I ever end up in Alaska.

Balistically, this is what can be expected of the two rounds.

480 Ruger: 420gr bullet at 1200 FPS. This in in a 7.5" barrel.

475 Linebaugh: 425gr bullet at 1350 FPS. This is in an 8" barrel

Shooting both is probably not an option. I doubt many gun ranges carry both or even one of them, and I don't think there is a gun range that rents guns within 100 miles of me.

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I almost got a 480 ruger. Ended up being completely happy with 44 mag.

On shelf availability I would think, is slim to none.

Top Bottom