• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheSinfulSaint

TheSinfulSaint
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    McKinney
    I will start loading 45–70 very soon. To that end, I have been reading a lot on online forums, articles and also reloading manuals. I think I am all set on standard and hot loads, but when it comes to reduced or mild loads, there is a plethora of opinions if this cartridge must be loaded with a filler or not. For example, with powders like unique and Trailboss.

What are your observations and suggestions on this topic and how do you load for big bore cartridges when it comes to reduced and mild loads? If we need to then which filler is the best and economical?

- Saint
    DK Firearms

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    FWIW...unless you are using black powder, forget using any type of filler. Follow the load tables and work your load from there. 5744 is a great powder for the 45/70. Depending upon what rifle you have, weather it is an original or a reproduction, the bore dia. and twist rate, and of course, what you expect to use it for...
    There are a couple of us that load for it, so there should be plenty of resources for you to work from.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

TheSinfulSaint

TheSinfulSaint
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    McKinney
    Thanks for the inputs.

To elaborate, the rifle is Pedersoli 1866 with 26” octagonal barrel. This is a new reproduction.

Projectiles are 300gr and 405gr from missouri bullets. I haven’t ordered yet but these will be mix of lead and hi-tek coated.

My only concern is not to damage the rifle with inappropriate (lite) load.

- Saint

usmcpmi

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Central Texas
    If you want some more "interesting reading" do a search for "The Load" using Red Dot. Says 13 gr. for most any cartridge with any bullet weight. Lots of people on the "for" and "against" sides.
    I've tried it and it's ok. Nothing to write home about. Unless you have a bunch of Red Dot to burn up.

Sent from my SM-A125U1 using Tapatalk

Top Bottom