• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cazador1022

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    border war zone EL PASO TX
    Thought I'd throw it out there...I have a 8 y/o. And I think he is ready for a .410. He's already done well with the .22 Cricket. So if anyone has one for sale or knows of one please let me know. Condition does not really matter its just for him to get the concept.
    Guns International

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I bought my son a Rossi combo from Academy......It is a single shot rifle that breaks like a shotgun with two barrels. It has a .22lr barrel and I had a choice of 20 gauge or .410. I got the 20 gauge and regret it. It kicks really hard for a 20 gauge. I bet the .410 version is just right. I think I paid 169 for it. Not sure what you were looking to spend, but this is a nice little set up.

I forgot to mention...my son shot it ONCE...lol....and it knocked him hard enough that he will not shoot it again...he is 8 also. =)

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    IMO, the weight of an average 410 makes the recoil worse than that of a 20 gauge - but then again, I started with my Grandfathers' 12 gauge SxS (which I still have). I remember my cousin had a 410 - shot it one time, thought it kicked worse than my 12!

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    dont buy a 410! ammo is crazy expensive, man! get him a 20.

We use a lot of .410 for snake control and the occasional rabbit...can buy 250 rounds 6 shot for 79.00 shipped vs 250 rounds 20 gauage for 69.00 shipped...

Not that crazy anymore...

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Yes .410 ammo has come down in price some. But is still much harder to find and the loadings are very limited. For shooting moving targets a .410 is an expert's gun. Shooting squirrels sitting in trees in no problem, but a flying dove or running rabbit are a challenge even for experienced shooters. MY SIL bought his 8 YO one, he has become somewhat discouraged because he can only get consistent hits on stationary targets.

I like the .20, but the youth needs to be around weigh 110~ lbs or to handle that without becoming uncomfortable with it.

West Texas

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Texas!
    Yes .410 ammo has come down in price some. But is still much harder to find and the loadings are very limited. For shooting moving targets a .410 is an expert's gun. Shooting squirrels sitting in trees in no problem, but a flying dove or running rabbit are a challenge even for experienced shooters. MY SIL bought his 8 YO one, he has become somewhat discouraged because he can only get consistent hits on stationary targets.

I like the .20, but the youth needs to be around weigh 110~ lbs or to handle that without becoming uncomfortable with it.

It's all about proper site alingment, leanring how to adjust the gun and practice...if he isn't getting it with a .410, a 20 ga isn't going to fix the problem.

I started with a .410, 10 year old, shooting rabbits out of the back of a moving pickup...my kids learned the same way...and didn't take them as long as it took me. When I moved up to quail and dove, I used a .410 until I was close to 15 ,then went to 16 guage and now hunt with a 20 ga...unless I'm on the four wheeler looknig for rabbits or the quail that might pop-up, then it's back to .410...

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    Thought I'd throw it out there...I have a 8 y/o. And I think he is ready for a .410. He's already done well with the .22 Cricket. So if anyone has one for sale or knows of one please let me know. Condition does not really matter its just for him to get the concept.

Although as pointed out that .410 ammo is coming down in price I would highly recommend going the 20 ga route instead. your son will outgrow the .410 so quick and the 20 will last forever.

Top Bottom