• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I got some money n my pocket. Thinking I want a shotgun, O/U variety. Looking at either a .410 or 28. Both would be on the lower end of the $ scale. Anyway the idea is for the grandkids to shoot clays. Both have mild recoil, and ammo is fairly easy to get. Any thoughts?
    ARJ Defense ad

John Galt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2020
    Huntsville
    I was recently pricing 20ga for a Christmas gift for my daughter. There are several side by side and O/U available for <$300 and ammo is (probably) more available than for the 410 or 28. If you are looking for pump or semi-auto then 12ga is the solution but what I find to be in stock are the high end $1500 and up (I wonder why those are still on the shelf?)

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    I was recently pricing 20ga for a Christmas gift for my daughter. There are several side by side and O/U available for <$300 and ammo is (probably) more available than for the 410 or 28. If you are looking for pump or semi-auto then 12ga is the solution but what I find to be in stock are the high end $1500 and up (I wonder why those are still on the shelf?)
    Thanks for the input, but strictly looking at .410 or 28.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    The problem with fourten is that it is an expert’s gun. The 1/2 ounce payload is a deterrent to success.

Most of the small kids I see on the sporting clays course are shooting 20 gauge gas guns.

Reactions: HCS

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I'd go with a 28. I've been around a lot of hard core quail hunters with multi thousand dollar shotguns. The .410's are light, easy to carry, but don't put much lead in the air. Almost all of them are great shots, but have migrated to the 28's.

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    another factor to consider,

the lighter the firearm, the more felt recoil results

I would go the 20 ga and use lower velocity shotshells to reduce recoil, the extra weight and larger surface area of the butt plate on the 20a ga will absorb 95% of the recoil difference

less costly ammo allows more practice for the dollar

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    another factor to consider,

the lighter the firearm, the more felt recoil results

I would go the 20 ga and use lower velocity shotshells to reduce recoil, the extra weight and larger surface area of the butt plate on the 20a ga will absorb 95% of the recoil difference

less costly ammo allows more practice for the dollar
    ^^^This.

.410 is more of a "ground gun".....good for rabbits, squirrels, and other terrestrial varmints (including perps with the 000BUCK loads).

For birds and clays, go with the 20ga....especially in a semiauto. Recoil is easily managed, and you have much more variety than any 28ga.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Reactions: HCS

HCS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2020
    Llano, TX
    for every box of .410's you buy, you can get at least two boxes of 20 ga for the same money

(a lesson learned the expensive way, because my first shotgun was a .410 when I was 10 years old)

Fishkiller

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 22, 2019
    Frederickburg
    Thanks to all for the good advice. It will be a 20 ga. suto for the grandkids. But grandpa needed to scratch an itch. So I got an ATI, 28 ga. O/U
    IMG_2382.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg

Top Bottom