• ...and so much more!
  • baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Now I want a M79.....
    They are available, but for much more money. There is generally always talk of someone want to do a run of new ones.

A Milkor launcher would pretty much be tits!

A junk vehicle makes for some fun shooting, especial in a group of several laughers.

If I was an arms & craft type I'd do a string of party lights.
    Hurley's Gold

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    <>

For those unfamiliar: Smaller gauges have always had their adherents.

For a skilled shotgunner, wing-shooting with a 16GA isn’t much different than a 12; both pattern & recoil wise. But there is some difference.

The move “down” from 16 to 20GA has similar difference.

I’m told the move from 20 to 28 is similar. My personal 28GA experience is nil.

But the difference from 28 to .410 is much greater. The technical numbers tell same.

OTOH, the cumulative difference from 12 to 28GA is quite a bit. The 28 is known to require greater skills.

A .410 will result in more misses and a bit more “wounding”.

Few have .410 level wing-shooting skills.

Even back when I was firing 200 or 300 shots at doves over “stock tank” ranch ponds per week, I couldn’t find success with the .410.

leVieux

Swedonia

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2023
    Sweetwater, TX
    Heh, the only shotgunning I have done over the past six or seven years is running a 12-gauge defensive shotgun at 10-20 yards. It has been forever since I actually shot at a bird. So I look at the little Yildiz .410 over-and-under that is unfired and ask, is today the day I want to humiliate myself at the skeet range? (And it has been 45 years or more since I shot a round of skeet.):laughing:

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Heh, the only shotgunning I have done over the past six or seven years is running a 12-gauge defensive shotgun at 10-20 yards. It has been forever since I actually shot at a bird. So I look at the little Yildiz .410 over-and-under that is unfired and ask, is today the day I want to humiliate myself at the skeet range? (And it has been 45 years or more since I shot a round of skeet.):laughing:
    <>

You won’t “humiliate yourself” !

You & I are beyond that point, age wise.

leVieux

cav2108541

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2023
    Killeen, TX
    Why is 410 shells non existent these days? Wife is wanting a 410 but can't find any shells.
    I actually suspect RUSSIANS are the problem. Before they started selling us all those high-speed low-drag semi-auto .410 magazine-fed shotgun-AKs, there wasn't a lot of consumption of .410. Sure there were lever-action guns, but it was mostly just single shot (mine is single-shot and I've never had anything more in .410) so consumption rates were pretty low. Like semi-auto 22LR guns, the advent of semi-auto .410 guns is sucking up the normal quantities available. Russians. Another reason to dislike them. Fun, though. Oh, yeah, I forgot about those Taurus Judge things. Maybe okay for snakes if you can't shoot too accurately, eh?

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    <>

For those unfamiliar: Smaller gauges have always had their adherents.

For a skilled shotgunner, wing-shooting with a 16GA isn’t much different than a 12; both pattern & recoil wise. But there is some difference.

The move “down” from 16 to 20GA has similar difference.

I’m told the move from 20 to 28 is similar. My personal 28GA experience is nil.

But the difference from 28 to .410 is much greater. The technical numbers tell same.

OTOH, the cumulative difference from 12 to 28GA is quite a bit. The 28 is known to require greater skills.

A .410 will result in more misses and a bit more “wounding”.

Few have .410 level wing-shooting skills.

Even back when I was firing 200 or 300 shots at doves over “stock tank” ranch ponds per week, I couldn’t find success with the .410.

leVieux

For most folks, myself included, I'm pretty sure the prevailing opinion is that .410 is a snake and varmint gun. But they're not real useful if you can't find any freaking ammo.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    For most folks, myself included, I'm pretty sure the prevailing opinion is that .410 is a snake and varmint gun. But they're not real useful if you can't find any freaking ammo.
    <>

I have had two different friends over the years who hunted dove with .410’s. Both were excellent shots & owned many other guns.

I tried a couple times, but my skills just weren’t up to it.

leVieux

<>

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    <>

I have had two different friends over the years who hunted dove with .410’s. Both were excellent shots & owned many other guns.

I tried a couple times, but my skills just weren’t up to it.

leVieux

<>
    My first time dove hunting my friend with a .410 hit everything he shot at and I missed everything with my 12 gauge. Skill, you either have it or you don't.

single stack

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2011
    FL
    I doubt that very many .410’s have been spent shooting with either the Judge handgun or AK’s.
    The greatest number of .410’s are shot at doves, squirrels and on skeet and sporting clays. I average six boxes of 2 1/2” shells a week, mostly sporting.
    I haven’t shot doves but I have shot early season crows with a .410.

70chevelle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2013
    I check Academy every time I'm there. Find .410 about every 10 trips. Ask the guy behind the counter, sometimes they haven't put it out. Still going to run 15.99 a box.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Before the crazy hit I bought a bunch at a garage sale. Best $50 I’ve spent. It allowed me to finish filling a Cabelas plastic ammo can.

My grandson is almost old enough to shoot the 410 pump I bought when he was 2.

Patience grasshopper.

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I actually suspect RUSSIANS are the problem. Before they started selling us all those high-speed low-drag semi-auto .410 magazine-fed shotgun-AKs, there wasn't a lot of consumption of .410. Sure there were lever-action guns, but it was mostly just single shot (mine is single-shot and I've never had anything more in .410) so consumption rates were pretty low. Like semi-auto 22LR guns, the advent of semi-auto .410 guns is sucking up the normal quantities available. Russians. Another reason to dislike them. Fun, though. Oh, yeah, I forgot about those Taurus Judge things. Maybe okay for snakes if you can't shoot too accurately, eh?
    <>

As one who has shot zillions of moccasins in real life, albeit most before 1961, it can be very difficult to hit a snake with a rifle, much less a handgun. And, I had plenty, plenty practice.

Unlike some rattlers, the moccasins didn’t sit still, waiting to be hit.

After widespread aerial application of herbicides began in ‘58, and pesticides shortly afterwards, our moccasins almost disappeared; there went my targets.

That was about when I discovered Girls, and my attention shifted to the Ladies. Dad no longer had to buy .22LR’s in big wooden crates.

leVieux

<>

hornetguy

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 21, 2021
    Allen, Texas
    I think, in real world ammo pricing, the Taurus Judge and the Smith Governor should have helped bring the cost down somewhat.... the only reason .410's are so much more expensive than the 12's is there just isn't that much demand for it. They certainly cost less to produce, but it's so costly to tool up for a run of them.
    I think it's the same with .22 shorts. It's certainly cheaper to manufacture them, component-wise, but there's just not that much demand for them.... and they cost considerably more than the lr's

With 12 gauge and 22 LR's the factory can tool up and run for a long time.... the demand is there...

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Walmart had 410 ammo today. I left a few fir the next guy.

IMG_9583.jpeg

Top Bottom